Carrier AT&T next - phone replacement - do I have to pay tax tonight?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FrancoRumors, Sep 8, 2016.

1. FrancoRumors macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

So if I replace my IP6+ tonight and upgrade to a IP7+, do I pay the tax now or does it get thrown into the monthly installments or placed on next phone bill?... Can't remember how it worked when I started next with IP6+

Thank you

2. Ramrod82 macrumors regular

Ramrod82

I believe so...my question is when do I have to turn my iPhone 6s into Att if I preorder tonight using next?

3. RonPlus6 macrumors member

RonPlus6

Taxes are due at time of purchase. You will receive a return envelop from AT&T and have 10 days to return phone.

4. ctbaz macrumors member

Are you ordering from ATT or APPLE? If you order through ATT they will send you return label to send the old phone back to them. If you order through APPLE it's a different story.
    Here's what happened with me last year:
    1. Got my 6s+ fine from apple.com. Notice there was no return label.
    2. Called ATT and was told I could take the phone into the nearest corporate store to return the phone
    3. Went to the ATT store. Was told I couldn't do it that I needed to send the phone back with the return label sent to me. I told them I bought it through APPLE and I didn't get a return label.
    4. Called ATT and requested a label from them. They told me they would send on through email I could print off and send the phone back. Waited two days for the label to come through my email. It didn't come so I called them back. Again same thing was told they would send me the label through email. I never got it. (yes I was checking the correct email associated with my ATT account and check the junk/trash folders)
    5. Finally decided it wasn't worth my time and paid the rest owed on the old phone and sold it to someone local for a profit.

I am going to pay the rest owed on mine and going to sell my 6s+ again this year for a profit.

5. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

Not so sure about this. I'm assuming we'll have to pay the tax tonight since it's only 1 week between pre-order and launch (unlike last year); however, the phones won't ship until Monday-Wednesday next week, and tax is usually taken when the phone ships, so who knows?

About the return envelope - I did not receive an envelope or a box last year with my 6s Plus ordered through Apple. I had to go to the AT&T store, get them to print me a shipping label, buy a box and some bubble wrap, and send it back. Pretty annoying. Watch out for that. Hopefully that won't be the case this year, but it's not Apple's responsibility to make sure you send your old phone back in to AT&T.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    This is basically what happened to me last year, also. Although, I went to the store and didn't leave until they emailed me the shipping label. Still had to buy a box and wrap to send it back, stupidly.

It's so lame they won't take phones back in-store. I don't get it.

6. Ramrod82 macrumors regular

Ramrod82

With ATT what is the time frame I have to send my 6s back?