AT&T No Brainer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by supervelous, Sep 18, 2012.

1. supervelous macrumors 6502

So, I initially chose to port my number to Verizon, because I was told by AT&T's customer service and confirmed by their coverage maps, no LTE where I am and no way to know when. I was giving up unlimited data (but throttled at 5GB) and voice and data at the same time over cellular, to pay $20/mo more for 5GB...but get tethering and facetime over cellular and Verizon LTE.

Well, AT&T's coverage maps were wrong. I got an S3 on another line and saw 4G LTE. Ran a speed test 48.65 down, 14.46 up Sweet baby jesus.

So, I have a pre-ordered Verizon Iphone on the way, but now thinking it is a no-brainer to stay with AT&T for cheaper unlimited data, voice and data at same time, and no more LTE disadvantage. I won't be able to use Facetime over cell and tether but seems like the pros outweigh the cons.

Only thing that sucks is I'll have to return the Verizon Iphone, then re-order an AT&T one or wait in line somewhere if I don't want to wait weeks for it. It's almost making me want to just keep the Verizon one!

What would you do?

2. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

Return the Verizon phone, and wait in line like you suggested.
    Waiting in line sucks, but waiting a few hours outside is much better than waiting weeks potentially.

3. BBQXXX macrumors member

I would keep Verizon.

Also no offense but they kinda know where their coverage is. If they say it's not and their map online says its not there I would think its not...

4. supervelous thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't tell if you're bashing them for not knowing where their own coverage is, or if you are saying there is no coverage bc they say there is not. I am definitely getting 4G LTE on an AT&T smartphone right now. At home, at work, and blazing fast speeds.

It's a little disturbing that they don't know where their own coverage is and their map isn't up to date, but I'm definitely getting it.

There are advantages to Verizon, they are seen generally as having better coverage and their LTE network is bigger. But I don't travel much, so I am just concerned with the service where I live and work, and it seems fine here, I'm near NYC in the northeast and generally every network has good coverage here.

5. BBQXXX macrumors member

My advice would be try out Verizon and see if you like it. I think they give you 30 days to cancel no ETF.

6. supervelous thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, only concern is the port, but I called their port department and they said if I call before I activate the phone, they can cancel the port and issue me a brand new Verizon number, and my AT&T line won't be cancelled...which I don't want bc that's my unlimited data line.

So I guess I can try it out on Verizon and see how I like it, I'm probably going ot do that. Although I may try to line up and see if I can get one, but if I show up and the line is bonkers or a lot of people ahead of me I will probably just go home.

7. njknight macrumors newbie

Yeah, go with a new Verizon number while you're trying it out and set up Call Forwarding on your iPhone to send calls to that number.