AT&T NO Commitment iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dextor143, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Dextor143 macrumors 6502

If I buy the no commitment phone from AT&T, will it be unlocked?

2. meganator macrumors member

No. Unlocked is different from no commitment.

3. illutionz macrumors 65816

But if you are no longer in contract with AT&T and purchase a non commitment iPhone 5, you can just call them to unlock it :)

4. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I had a question about this also - I understand that it will still come locked, but can you call and have it unlocked immediately? Or do you still have to wait until your current contract runs out? Seems like they should be willing to unlock it since it wasn't subsidized...

And what about for phones you pay the $250 fee to upgrade? Seems like you should be able to unlock those somewhat earlier than the fully subsidized ones...

----------

So if you're in contract and purchase non-commitment you can't? That doesn't make a lot of sense if it's true... seeing as they aren't subsidizing.

5. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I called AT&T to order a phone and although I declined the offer for one once I found out that there would be 2 week wait after launch I did find out some good info. The sales rep was not able to confirm for sure but basically said he saw no reason why AT&T would not unlock an iPhone that was on an account in good standing. Meaning, if you buy an iPhone that is not in contract (i.e. you pay full price) then they should unlock it for you after the fact if you just ask. That was the sales reps interpretation and I don't see a reason why they wouldn't either. I had my iPhone 4 unlocked once I was out of contract with it.

So my plan is to buy an AT&T-locked phone at full price and then ask them to unlock. If that doesn't work I'll have to return it and just wait a month for the actual unlocked phones to go on sale.

Good luck.

6. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Just wanted to throw out there that I've used the unlocking services on eBay (kind of a "grey market" thing) and had great success... It has worked for iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, and 4S, and I don't see why the iPhone 5 wouldn't work with those services also. Highly recommend a seller named unlock_fusion... Had my iPhone 4S's unlocked within 2 hours of using buy-it-now. Cost like $8 per phone.

7. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Good to know, thanks! Wish I had used this for my iPhone 4 when I traveled to Europe, I went to Gavey Ultra route instead. It worked but was clunky and kind of retarded.

8. Hpye macrumors 6502

No commitment price mean it will still be locked but you can call them to unlock immediately, you have that right since you bought the phone in full price.

Here is what att have to say:
    Additional information about iPhone unlocks
    Current customers will be allowed five (5) unlocks per account, per year, so long as their account is in good standing with no past-due amount or unpaid balance and has been active for at least sixty (60) days.
    Former customers will be allowed five (5) unlocks per former account so long as they owe AT&T no Early Termination Fee or other unpaid balance.
    In addition, AT&T will unlock an iPhone for: (i) an active and deployed member of the military who is a current AT&T customer in good standing and is able to provide AT&T with deployment verification; and (ii) a person who purchased the iPhone from an authorized location at the "no commitment" price and can provide proof of purchase.

9. illutionz macrumors 65816

I believe it might work as well as long as you can provide proof that you purchase the phone at full price. But it's best to probably check with them.

10. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Does anyone know if Apple Stores will be selling full-price AT&T phones or will I have to go to an AT&T store for that?

11. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

Last year any iPhone 4S that was bought from AT&T without a contract was factory unlocked even though they never stated that at the time of purchase.

12. KPOM macrumors G5

^This. That's exactly what I did last year.

If you buy it full priced from the AT&T store, it will be locked, but you can request them to unlock it here.

13. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Same here--bought one at full retail from my local Apple store a few days after launch and after restoring through itunes, got the your iphone is unlocked message, no call to AT&T necessary.

14. truelies macrumors regular

So basically we can buy an unlocked iPhone 5 this way? Will AT&T lock it in the future?

15. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Guys, remember that you get NO DISCOUNT on the monthly cost of your plan if you buy with no commitment. You pay FULL PRICE for your phone and get nothing in return.

It's much better to go with the contract. You're throwing less money away in the long term.

16. bmms8 macrumors 68020

thats not true. paying the no commitment price rather than early upgrade fee is worth it for me, and plenty of others here.

17. illutionz macrumors 65816

To add to your point, if you travel a lot, it's worth to get a phone that's unlock-able. No commitment iPhones are unlock-able if you are with AT&T

18. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

This. It *is* cheaper overall to pay for the phone ahead of time, not even including the freedom to switch (say to T-Mobile or a smaller RWC) and get a even deeper discount and having the loyalty departments compete for your business.

19. Cubeeless macrumors regular

Cubeeless

20. illutionz macrumors 65816

You can't pay ETF and get your phone unlocked AND still stay with AT&T...

21. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Well obviously it's not possible to know this until after the 5 is released and someone tests it. Also impossible to know the answer to your second question but I seriously doubt it. AT&T will unlock any iPhone not tied to a current 2 year contract and a no commitment iPhone purchased at full retail certainly falls into that category.

22. Cubeeless macrumors regular

Cubeeless

Can you pay ETF for onr line, but hold the baseline? And get unlocked the line which you terminated early while holding the baseliine in a family plan?

23. Alex503 macrumors newbie

"No commitment" AT&T iPhone 5 will be unlocked!

AT&T iPhone 4S when purchasing at the "no commitment" price(paying the full price of the phone) came unlocked when purchasing from Apple. I know this because I am a reseller oversees and I bought thousands of these AT&T 4S's. Now for the iPhone 5 I taked to Apples business team and they told me that AT&T iPhone 5 is going to be unlocked when paying full price for it at the "no commitment" price. I also called AT&T to confirm and they told me the same thing. I was also told that if you buy an iPhone 5 from a location other than Apple than it will be locked but that AT&T will unlock it for you if you have payed the full price for a phone but when you purchase an AT&T iPhone 5 from Apple at full price that it will be unlocked.