AT&T No Commitment iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pivoh, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Pivoh macrumors member

I spent the last hour reading through all the iPhone 5 unlocked threads.

There seems to be a difference between a full price iPhone though my contract and a factory unlocked iPhone.

My question: If I buy an iPhone5 through my att contract at a full price, will I be able to use this phone oversea with prepaid sim cards? Or will it still be locked to ATT sim cards only ?

If so what would be my option? Will the IMEI unlock from ebay last forever? or is it possible that the iPhone 5 will lock itself after I restore it or with time passing by?

thank you so much in advance for any help!

2. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

If you buy a phone from the AT&T store at the no commitment price, the phone will not be unlocked right away, but you will be eligible for an unlock. You will need to contact AT&T and they will investigate (to make sure your handset is not on contract) and start a ticket to unlock the phone. Once they have sent the unlock request to Apple, you will need to do a restore and the phone will be unlocked.

3. Pivoh thread starter macrumors member

Fantastic, I appreciate your help.

Am I assuming correct you can only buy ONE iphone at no commitment price through your carrier?

Could I buy one no commitment full price iphone and one upgrade?

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

You can buy one phone per phone line. The no commitment/full price upgrade is unlocked. You can't unlock it again. If you buy from Apple it is a device only upgrade.

5. Pivoh thread starter macrumors member

just to clearify, I can buy ONE phone it can either be an upgrade or a none commitment full price one. So I have to decide which one I want?.

I can not go an pick one full priced iPhone up at the apple store and then make an upgrade via the att store?

sorry for being a pain

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Correct. Apple is not selling iPhones without an account associated with it. There might be a way of scamming the system but I'm not aware of it.

7. intofx macrumors regular

Thats not true. I just bought my att ip5 from the apple store full price no questions asked. Im a tmobile customer. Cool thing was when i got home and plugged it into my comp itunes said it was unlocked without doing anything. Got a sim from tmobile and it worked perfectly.

8. macman312 macrumors 6502

So you can just walk into a store and buy a Ip5 now?? What store and state?

9. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

bought two iPhone 5s at no commitment price. they were unlocked out of the box!

10. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Although your mileage may vary (depending on the rep you get at the store), in general, the answer is yes: you can walk into an Apple store, have them ring up an AT&T model as "device only", and that phone will be immediately registered in Apple's system as unlocked, and they won't require you to open a new AT&T account or associate that purchase with an existing account.

This has worked with the AT&T models of iPhones ever since Apple started selling the iPhone 4 unlocked in the U.S. via Apple Stores. Apple has an unlocked GSM model with a separate SKU, but they specifically set up the system so that the employees at the store can ring up an AT&T model as an unlocked model instead. This was done so that in the event someone wants to buy an unlocked phone and a particular Apple store has run out of stock of the unlocked model, they can substitute an AT&T SKU in its place.

Officially, with the iPhone 5, there is no unlocked SKU yet, and I think that officially, they aren't supposed to sell you a phone without getting account information from you. But if you can talk an Apple Store employee into selling you an AT&T iPhone 5 as "device only" (no activation, full price), it will be unlocked since all AT&T SKUs, including the iPhone 5, are set up this way. (This same thing happened with the iPhone 4S back when it was released...there was a period of a month or two between when the 4S came out and when Apple started selling unlocked versions of it officially, but people figured out that the selling-AT&T-SKUs-as-unlocked policy carried over to the 4S part numbers as well. I managed to buy an unlocked 4S this way before it was officially available. In my case, I got 0 pushback from the rep who helped me...I was in and out in like 5 minutes. But I've heard other stories of people who have tried to do this at other stores and being told that they aren't allowed to do that. It's technically possible...you just have to convince the person who is helping you to actually ring it up that way. :) )

Note that this system only works when you make the purchase at an Apple store. If you purchase a phone from AT&T retail at full-price, the phone will still be locked. However, according to AT&T policy, if they didn't subsidize the phone purchase, they will unlock it for you upon request. This wasn't true when the 4S was released, so back then the Apple store was the ONLY way to get an unlocked one before they were officially available. With the iPhone 5, it's simply less of a hassle buying directly from Apple since the phone's serial # is immediately flagged as "unlocked" in Apple's system, but if you have no Apple retail store near you, you should be able to buy from AT&T at full-price and then request an unlock from them.

-- Nathan

11. airynmanj macrumors newbie

I can buy ONE phone it can either be an upgrade or a none commitment full price one[​IMG]

12. intofx macrumors regular

If its in stock, yes. I got lucky, bought mine in socal.

13. Pivoh thread starter macrumors member

So I preorderd an iPhone5 for pickup last night, I went to the store and they told I could only buy it at the upgrade price but not at the full price ?

I thought it was possible buying it at the full price thenhave it unlocked from ATT.

What exactly should I ask for ? a no commitment iPhone? they told apple hasnt released that yet

14. newportbeach macrumors newbie

I tried to buy one today and was told no. :( They had 32gb and 64gb in stock in black.

15. techguy20 macrumors 6502

Are you from somewhere in the northeast? It seems they put a new policy in place a few weeks ago that prevents you purchasing "off-contract" any more.