AT&T no commitment iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by afsalva, Sep 19, 2012.

1. afsalva macrumors member

I have couple of questions on the no commitment phones from AT&T.

1) Are they unlocked?
    2) Once i order and receive it should i activate it ? What i want to do is to just buy from AT&T using the no commitment price and cancel the service without activating it. Will it work?

Thanks in advance.

2. Hpye macrumors 6502

I also ordered no commitment. They will not come unlock but if you are previous customer you are eligible to unlock it just by filling out the form online or call them.

Here is what att say about iphone unlock eligibility :
    ii) a person who purchased the iPhone from an authorized location at the "no commitment" price and can provide proof of purchase.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532&cv=820#fbid=rr8Ycm_hjBc

3. afsalva, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

afsalva thread starter macrumors member

Can i use the phone with other carriers (Prepaid carriers) without activating through AT&T?

4. Hpye macrumors 6502

If you are att previous customer, and bought no commitment, you can unlock it. Once you unlock it you can use any sim with any carrier. only GSM though

and i dont think you need to activate it if you dont want

5. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

The only way to get an AT&T iPhone which is already unlocked right of the box is to buy it directly from Apple.

6. afsalva thread starter macrumors member

Actually i don't really want it to be unlocked right away. My prepaid carrier uses AT&T towers and i can use AT&T locked phone. What i really want to know is whether i can just buy the phone for non-commitment price and Don't pay the activation fee and no monthly charges.

7. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

Normally AT&T stores will not sell you an iPhonewithin the first month or so of launch without activating it on a new or existing account. AT&T tends to reserve inventory in it's retail stores for their actual customers.

8. afsalva thread starter macrumors member

What i am trying to say is, i will buy the no commitment phone using a new postpaid plan. But i will not activate that phone using the sim card it comes with. I will just use my micro sim card (used in my current iphone 4) in it.

Or even i can activate it using my friend's existing AT&T line and then use my micro sim in it. If i do this does my friend has to pay the activation fee?

Do you think any of the above plan will work?

9. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

Well, the phone will be activated before you leave the store. And whether you setup a new account or upgrade a line on some existing account, there will be a $36 upgrade/activation fee.

10. afsalva thread starter macrumors member

I am going to buy the phone online.

11. lamenramen macrumors regular

Will the Apple store sell me an AT&T iphone 5 at full price, i.e., the no-commitment price tomorrow if I do not renew my contract?

I am already an AT&T customer. But of course, my plan is not to renew my contract.