AT&T No Commitment Pricing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by illutionz, Sep 15, 2012.

1. illutionz macrumors 65816

So as of July 2012, I finished my AT&T contract and I preordered iPhone 5 yesterday (Friday 9/14) for $299 (32GB). It is now prepared for shipping etc... so I can't cancel it anymore.

I just realized today that the phone will be locked to AT&T if I do it this way and there is no way I can get them to unlock it for my travel in the next couple months :(
    I checked my AT&T OLAM and it shows that my number is now back in contract until 2014 (because I ordered iPhone 5 and I think their system has flagged my number as such).

Now, here are my questions:

1) if I return the phone after I received it next Friday, will my contract be again back to month to month??
    2) In addition to that, if I then purchase the iPhone 5 at no commitment price ($749 in this case), I can then call AT&T to ask them to unlock my phone, correct??
    3) Do I need to complete #1 first prior to ordering the full price iPhone 5? Will it make a difference if I preorder the phone at full price now before returning the first order? I don't think so because I believe this will be dealt with as 2 separate cases

Thanks for your response!

2. theonekcrow, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

Yes, if you return the phone, then your contract will go back the way it was originally. Also if you buy the phone through them at the no commitment price then they should be able to unlock it.
    For your third question, you don't have to do that, but if you need the refund from the purchase price of the subsidized phone, to they'll pay for the new phone, then you should send it back first.

3. illutionz thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the confirmation. Do you think it will be a problem if I order the 2nd phone at no commitment pricing now? or should I complete the return process first? I don't think it'll be an issue but I just want to be 100% sure. :p

4. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

If you're travelling to Europe, and have an unlocked iPhone 5 from AT&T, you won't be able to use it for LTE, as the frequencies that the AT&T version is compatible with only works in US and Canada.

You will have wide 3G access though.

5. Boiler macrumors regular

Where is the $749 no commitment pricing offered?

Didn't see it available on apple store online yet?

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Honestly, check out AT&T's international rate plans. They are better than they used to be.

7. illutionz thread starter macrumors 65816

I understand this. I made a decision to just live with HSPA+ while traveling. Not a dealbreaker for me. I can't switch to Verizon and not able to talk+surf at the same time.

Have to purchase it from AT&T website

8. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes and No.

First, not sure that you can even order another device on your line that you just ordered against. Normally the AT&T system blocks it until you complete the activation and are past the 30 day return window.

Second, once you return the initial iPhone 5 that you ordered with the subsidy and your account is reset, then you will not be able to order a no commitment iPhone 5 from AT&T.

Currently AT&T only offers the no commitment pricing to customers that don't qualify for a subsidy or partial subsidy discount.

You might have better luck next week by purchasing a no commitment AT&T iPhone 5 in an Apple store, if they allow it. Right now we don't know.

Dave

9. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

It shouldn't be as long as you have the funds to do so. But there is a caveat,
    Ordering at the no commitment price now puts you in that 2-3 week ordering backlog, so you may need to double check how long you have to return the phone. I can't remember if its 14 or 30 days

10. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Actually you will, it is the same hardware. The disclaimer from Apple just says it will not work with All LTE systems.

Quote from Apple: The unlocked iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 will not work with CDMA-based carriers. An unlocked iPhone 5 may not support LTE networks in all other countries; contact service providers for details.

Dave

11. KPOM, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

KPOM macrumors G5

You are doing exactly what I am trying to do. I was off-contract in May. Ideally, I wanted to keep my account off-contract and get a no-commitment phone, but I also want the phone on Friday. However AT&T's site wouldn't work for me at 3:00am yesterday, so I decided to place an order from Apple's site, which would only let me buy it at the subsidized price.

A few hours later, I placed an order at AT&T's site (which was finally working for me), and since Apple had already processed my order, I was able to place the second order at the no-commitment price (since I was no longer eligible for upgrade pricing). I figured I'd do exactly the same thing as you and simply return my Apple order once the AT&T order arrived, putting me back off contract and leaving me with a no-commitment phone that I'd be able to request to be unlocked.

The hitch I've run into is that my second order seems to have confused AT&T's system. Note that I'm what AT&T quite ironically calls a "Premier" customer (i.e. I have a company discount aka FAN account), which creates additional hoops through which to jump. The second order is stuck at the "Attention" phase which means something has to be resolved. It isn't my credit card since I checked with them and AT&T hasn't even attempted to put the charge through. I just got 4 (?) e-mails with a number to call, so I'll find out tomorrow what the issue is.

Because of all this, I doubt I'll get the AT&T order on the 21st, but my main concern is getting it before the 30-day return period ends on my Apple order, and importantly, my new contract terms.

I'll post what happens tomorrow.

----------

It's 30 days from AT&T. However, I'm not sure if the contract rescission period is counted from the pre-order date or the activation date. When I log in it now shows me on contract with a new renewal date based on yesterday.

12. dave006 Contributor

dave006

KPOM, you should expect your AT&T order to be cancelled since you ordered it against a number that a recent order / upgrade was being processed against in the system.

Others considering this should know that there is also a risk that all orders against the same number may be cancelled along the way. Please use caution!

Dave

13. illutionz thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes I am also a "Premier" customer because I have FAN discount from my company. I am fine not getting the 2nd order on the 21st as long as I can keep my plan off contract and get the phone unlocked.

Please do post your findings here. I will hold off on placing the 2nd order for now.

14. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Hey Dave I have a 4s and my upgrade will be eligible in May. I plan on purchasing my 5 no commitment on Friday at an AT&T store. Are you stating they won't allow this? I am apart of a family plan.

15. illutionz thread starter macrumors 65816

I just tried this with my other line... This is a boneheaded decision by them. I guess they don't want my money upfront :/

Worse come to worst, I might need to wait for Apple to start selling the unlocked version directly. Then I won't have to deal with AT&T stupidity.

Now, last question from me... Say I keep everything off contract, will I be able to then move to the new "Mobile Share" plan and not sign myself up to 2 years commitment?

16. KPOM macrumors G5

We'll see. I'll find out tomorrow. Maybe if I explain the situation they will just let me pay the $450 subsidy and unlock my Apple order (doubtful), or (more likely) let the second order go through. I'm not sure why AT&T would care. I could have bought any other phone the day before to re-up my contract.

My Apple order is already "preparing for shipment" so I think that one's pretty safe. If there is any risk that keeping the second order will cause AT&T to kick out the Apple order, I'll just cancel the AT&T order and wait until the lines die down. If last year is any indication, Apple retail stores will sell the full-priced AT&T version no questions asked, and they will be unlocked (even before the official "unlocked" versions go on sale).

17. illutionz thread starter macrumors 65816

As I mentioned above, worse come to worst, we might need to wait for Apple to sell the unlocked phone directly.

18. KPOM macrumors G5

Last year, even before the official unlocked version went on sale, you were able to buy the AT&T version at full price from the Apple retail stores, and they were unlocked. That's how I got my 4S.

19. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Correct. Check your upgrade eligibility now, that's the only price you will be offered next week in an AT&T store!

There is limited stock so all carriers want to sell units for a new 2 year commitment. Right now the best option is to see what happens next week at Apple retail locations. Last year they allowed customers to purchase AT&T iPhone 5s at a no commitment price. Most were actually unlocked but not all. It all depended on how the Apple rep processed the checkout.

Dave

----------

Correct but it was not at all Apple stores, some figured out the loop hole based on all the people coming in requesting AT&T no commitment phones and they stopped selling this way.

We will just have to wait until Friday and see what happens. Hey even Apple Canada is not offering the iPhone 5 unlocked this year in the retail chain next Friday. They are only allowing online orders.

Dave

20. illutionz thread starter macrumors 65816

But with the new iPhone unlock policy, even if it's "locked" to AT&T, we can call them to unlock it, no?

21. vistadude macrumors 65816

Paying the ETF will be $100 to $150 cheaper since you're not going out of town for several months, and they will unlock when you do this. Actually if you have an older iphone, you could use that while traveling and avoid paying the ETF completely. Or you could buy a used smartphone that is unlocked for traveling.

22. KPOM macrumors G5

I believe theoretically you could set up a new account using the no-commitment pricing, at which point you can cancel it whenever you want without the ETF. When I went onto AT&T's site, before logging in, I saw that you could select a phone with or without a 2 year commitment, though in any case they required you to sign up for service before they sold you a phone.

----------

The ETF is $350 now, plus it has the effect of cancelling your service, I believe. The OP just wants to remain off contract, and get an unlocked (or at least unlockable) device.

23. illutionz thread starter macrumors 65816

I read in multiple places that you are not able to pay ETF and keep your AT&T service...

http://consumerist.com/2012/05/att-can-unlock-your-iphone-but-only-if-you-leave-att.html

http://duncandavidson.com/blog/2012/04/att_nounlock

Kind of foolish policy.

24. KPOM macrumors G5

If they didn't do that, it would be cheaper to get the iPhone subsidized and pay the ETF than buy it unlocked. Why they don't let you just pay back the $450 subsidy I don't know. It's the subsidies that hit their bottom line the hardest. Heck, I'm not likely to get rid of AT&T any time soon. I just want an unlocked phone.

----------

I don't think that's true in general. Maybe for the iPhone 5 since it's in hot demand, but when I did a "dry run" with a dummy phone (4S) the day before it let me add it to the cart at full price even though I was off contract.

25. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes, I was referencing the iPhone 5! Right now we don't care about other AT&T devices.

Sure you walk into and AT&T store tomorrow and buy most devices at the No Contract price. However, not for an iPhone 5!

Dave