AT&T not charging for iPhone 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andyjb, Sep 23, 2012.

1. andyjb macrumors newbie

I've seen a few people posting in other threads about having their iPhone 5s in hand without getting charged by AT&T...

I know this may sound like a long shot, but AT&T was NOT letting people their orders earlier last week, then all of a sudden towards the release date and until now they are canceling orders willy nilly, maybe because they know there are several people that somehow got screwed up in their system? Are people getting FREE iPhone 5s? :eek:

2. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Haha..I don't care how screwed up their system was, there is NO WAY a single person will get a "free" phone. My 4S was pre ordered through AT&T and I had the phone in my hands for almost 2 weeks before they took their money. It'll be taken out, don't worry.

3. andyjb thread starter macrumors newbie

Ew... I won't sleep tonight after seeing that lady...

I'm just wondering if everyone that has not been charged and has their phones and conspiracy theorists alike share their thoughts...:apple:

4. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

5. andyjb thread starter macrumors newbie

Btw... I was told that we would be charged when they are processed and shipped and haven't seen anything yet.

6. armyxscout macrumors newbie

I was charged when I ordered mine on September 30th and it showed it was pending on my bank statement. After 72 hours AT&T never picked up the payment so the money was put back into my account.

7. Middiebear macrumors member

No AT&T is not giving away free iPhone 5s(s) by "forgetting" or simply neglecting to charge their customers...

Charges appearing/disappearing... Not appearing/suddenly appearing on your bank account happens with many various purchases.

Some clothing stores I've shopped at online has "not charged" me when I've placed orders... Then sure enough, a couple days later the charge shows up on my bank account.

I'm not saying mistakes never happen... But this type of thing is very typical when buying a cell phone.

The same thing happened when I bought my iPhone 4s 2 years ago... I bought the phone on pre-order launch day and wasn't charged until late November.

The only real negative is for some customers who forget about the charge not being taken out and then spend that money... And when the charge does finally clear they are overdrafted.

8. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

What exactly is the conspiracy theory involved here?

That you're going to get charged for a phone you ordered?!?

:confused:

9. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Yes there is. My iPhone 5s was claimed lost by ups and apple and apple filed the claim and everything. The lost phone was delivered and the other one is on its way. One charge. Claims already filed with ups and apple. Free phone. ;)

10. blarivee macrumors 6502

Or AT&T may have automatically signed them up for the Next program :eek:

11. Middiebear macrumors member

You've got to be careful in even these types of situation because a charge could still appear down the road...

I know AT&T is aware a situation like this coud occur... So they force you to pay for the replacement phone at full price... And then credit it back after you receive it.

Although that situation is completely different than what the OP poster is talking about...

Some people honestly believe that because AT&T has not charged them right away on their original order...that means they received a free phone.:rolleyes:

12. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

This reminds me of users thinking Apple isn't charging them for iTunes purchases and go berserk on a shopping spree only to have it blow up in their faces.

13. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

I see this topic come up every iPhone release, you'll eventually be charged. Whether it'll be a week later or a month later, it'll happen. Best bet is to have the money set aside for it.

14. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I'll bet the house that they bill you for it.....Eventually.

15. PeezySC macrumors newbie

My 4s was the same way, except it was 5-6 weeks before I got charged. They will charge eventually.

16. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

This is EXACTLY why I spent the $2 or whatever it was to get a good checkbook app. I keep track of ALL my transactions WHEN THEY HAPPEN, or very soon after. I ALWAYS get a receipt and enter the info. I had a real bad day a couple times when my online banking showed more money than it should have, only to have a charge come through "out of nowhere" days later after I'd forgotten about it.

Back in the day... people used to enter this information in their physical checkbook's paper register. By hand. With an actual writing utensil, and on top of that they actually had to do the math! Crazy huh?!

People of the world: do not rely solely on your bank's online information to tell you how much money you have or what transactions MAY have come out. It isn't always accurate or updated.