AT&T NYC Dropped Calls -- getting out of contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cutwolf, May 4, 2012.

1. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

I can't take it anymore and I've only been moved into my new place for two days. I live in Jersey City (on the waterfront) which I assume means I share service with parts of Manhattan.

During peak hours about 50% of calls either fail or drop within the first couple of minutes, and closing in on 100% of calls drop before 10 minutes (and those rare ones that don't cut in and out of service). I have 4-5 bars of 4G coverage here.

This is unacceptable and seems borderline fraudulent.

Has anyone had any luck getting out of their AT&T contract because of this?

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Honest question: Have you reported them to AT&T? I assume it's poor coverage as you suspect but it's worth checking the other possibilities. We've had problems all over town as AT&T improved their towers.

3. Cutwolf thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't brought it up to AT&T yet because their customer service is piss poor and I was hoping to hear success stories before I ran that gauntlet.

I've dropped every single call I've made or received today at least once. My call with Comcast literally dropped 4 times in a row. I'd answer their call back (because I predicted we would be disconnected I gave them my call back number) and every time I answered it'd say call failed after about 10 seconds.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd give them a call to see if there's any outages in your area. Also try a restore on your phone. Test it out at the same location with other AT&T phones to see if they behave the same and drop calls like that.
    Or maybe that exact spot on your new place is a deadzone but if you're away from there you can get normal service.
    Im sure if everyone in NYC had a 50% or 100% rate of calls dropped none of their millions of customers there would stay with them.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Honestly, it's not that far off from 50%. I can get a 5 minute call through in most cases, but pretty much anything over that will end up dropping. It was not nearly as bad before the iPhone 3G came out.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I used to deal with Enterprise Support a lot and learned that if you call to report an issue with your phone it's "your" problem. If you call and report two or more phones have the same experience they become interested more quickly and are willing to consider it is "their" problem.

What you have going in your favor is that you just moved. Others have posted in the forum that detail has got them quick action. Lead with it. Instead of an offer to cancel they might pony up a microcell. However, I'm not sure at this time if you want to cancel or have your service improved. Either way, good luck!

7. Walter Bell macrumors regular

8. Cutwolf thread starter macrumors 6502

You know, it would obviously but nice to have my service improved in my home, but I will be working in Manhattan, and I will be working a lot. The microcell has limited use for me. I'm at the end of my ropes with AT&T's NYC service.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That would really suck. Is the other carriers better up there or just AT&T that's struggling?

10. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

If ur in a known dead zone, AT&T will give u a micro cell tower to install in ur apt. that should solve the issue. But I'd check a few AT&T phones if u can to rule out any hardware issues.

----------

So the problem is not limited to ur apartment?? There are millions of at&t subscribers in manhattan that get along just fine. If reception in ur apt is poor, and a microcell fixes it, what's the problem? If 80-100% of ur calls fail all over manhattan, maybe it's a hardware issue.

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

100% full proof of getting out of contract is to pay the etf and sell your subsidized phone.

Honestly. If the service isn't workin for you within the first 30 days return the phone. If you keep the phone more than 30 days unless you can prove you live in area with no coverage AT&T will give you an extremely hard time waiving the etf.

Or just go prepay next time and pay full price.

----------

Att is turning off 2G service in new York city area.

Keep that in mind. Voice with att 3 G wcdma. That is reason for dropped calls

12. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Get a landline for your apt. They are pretty cheap I believe.

13. aneftp macrumors 68040

Probably quote of the weekend. Someone saying customer service is poor even though they have never personally tried to call themselves.

It's fairly obvious OP wants to get out of contract. AND take the iPhone 4S which ATT subsidized and sell it for a profit along with going to another carrier.

Let's face it. ATT can offer a free microcell (as other users have posted) and OP is still making excuses they travel in/out of the city also.

So any remedy ATT will offer, the OP will not be happy short of waiving the ETF.

Coverage in NYC is usually good. Yes, you will experience drop calls. One of the reasons is ATT is ending 2G service there to provide more bandwidth to 3G networks. This has been ongoing for some time.

14. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

AT&T and NYC do not play well together end of story!

15. HPLouis macrumors regular

Coverage in NYC is not good, it's bearable, but not good. There are enough complaints from NYC ( and San Francisco) people that even AT&T realizes this.

The OP is correct that in the Financial District and around City Hall, Federal Plaza, Courthouses, etc. you will be lucky to hold a 5 minute conversation during lunch time. Call drops on AT&T are notorious around here. I have a Verizon BlackBerry for work and I hardly drop calls.

OP, my advice to you is like another poster stated. Sell your iPhone and go to another service provider. Most of my friends have Verizon and they have no complaints. I still stick with AT&T but I don't use my phone for call that much. I use it primarily for data and I'm usually in a wifi area.

16. Cutwolf thread starter macrumors 6502

Wait, what?

How about this:

If you can show me where I said I have never called customer service ever, I will pay you $1000 and leave the forums forever. If not, you pay me $1000 and do the same.

Seeing as there's no reason for you not to take the bet if what you said is true, then I expect a public apology if you refuse to do so.

It's fairly obvious you're either an AT&T shill or a grade AT&T twat. Oh, and while we're at it, you should see if they still have any of those "jump to conclusion" mats left on ebay.

A free microcell would be great when I'm in my apartment. When I'm in the lobby? When I'm at the pool? When I'm in a restaurant two minutes away? I haven't tested the restaurant, but I drop calls with regularity in and around this building, not just my unit.

Usually good in NYC...huh. I think you're one of the first to ever say that.

If AT&T can rectify my apartment problem, I'll take that solution, and I'll deal with broader NYC problems when those crop up.

But yes, the preferred solution for me is getting out of my contract and going with a carrier (Verizon) that does not have these problems. That's only logical.

17. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Most of my family seems happy with Verizon - I don't really know about the other carriers.

18. aneftp macrumors 68040

Your exact quote is you have not brought up the issue with ATT customer service. "I haven't brought it up to AT&T yet because their customer service is piss poor"

So question, "have you or have you not tried to call ATT customer service about this particular problem before"? Yes or No?

"Did you have poor customer service with ATT about this problem?" Yes or No?

Not once did I say you never called customer service ever (that's your reference). You read too much into what's not there. My words were, "Someone saying customer service is poor even though they have never personally tried to call themselves." You don't see me mention the word never calling customer service ever. It was in reference in not calling ATT customer service about this problem.

I don't work for ATT. Yes I have had ATT service for 8 years. I also currently have Verizon wireless service also. That's why I carry both services with me. Verizon works well for me in the northeast. ATT works well for me particular in Florida.

Me personally I've never had any customer service issues with either one of those carriers. Minor issues yes. (like Verizon's RF problem with the Galaxy Nexus and refusing to acknowledge that phone has an antenna design problem or ATT's secret throttling of 3G while on voice calls).

Look bottom line is the amount of time you will try to get ATT to waive the ETF. It's simply easier to just pay the ETF and resell the phone. Time is money.

You live in the NYC area. You realize by the time (if that even happens because waiving ETF's on iPhones is extremely hard because it's the highest subsidized phone ATT or any carrier has). By the time you try to even get to the point where they might waive the ETF.

You could have ported your number over to Verizon. Wait 2-3 weeks for final bill with ETF charges to arrive from ATT. Call ATT get iPhone 4S (I assume you have the 4S cause if you had the iPhone 4 you would only be a couple of months from finishing that contract anyways so getting an iPhone 4 contract ETF waived would be pointless). Assumptions are correct right?

Once iPhone 4S is unlocked. Put that phone on ebay or craiglist. Carrier sanctioned Unlocked iPhones go for at least $450-500 on the black market (16GB). Higher models go for more. And in NYC there are hundreds of resellers who will buy it for that price and ship them straight to South America (mainly Brazil) or back to Asia where there is a huge demand for iPhone 4S unlocked because of the exchange rates.

Seriously, why go through the trouble of getting around the ETF? Unless you plan on keeping the ATT iPhone 4S for other reasons.

You have to understand the reason for the high ETF. Verizon recognized this problem much earlier than ATT when the original Motorola Droid came out. They noticed people were signing up for secondary lines and buying the original Droid for subsidized pricing and canceling the line one month later (people got rid of the data plan also immediately by putting a feature phone on that new line). And than paid the $175 ETF.

ATT is not as bright as Verizon. Because people started doing that for iPhone 3G back in 2008 (one year before the Motorola Droid people started doing their thing). So people were gaming ATT's iPhone subsidy for almost 2 years before ATT caught on and raised it to $325. (It was much cheaper to pay $175 ETF for extra iPhone line). $199 iPhone subsidized price plus $175 (activation fees were $18 at that time). So total out the door was around $400. Much cheaper than the going full price of $599 for iPhone.

19. LTMK macrumors member

I am living in NY and suffers from the same problem everyday. Nothing we can do. Honestly, I dont think other carriers is way better.. .they all have their own network problem!!

20. mattwallace24 macrumors regular

I travel frequently into the city and never experience a problem. I don't know why you are so resistant to calling customer service and seeing if they can resolve your problem.

When I first received an earlier version of the iPhone, I was getting terrible reception. I thought it was AT&T's network, but found out my friends were getting an acceptable AT&T signal while I was getting none. I called into AT&T and they took me through several steps to update the carrier codes (?) on my phone. Immediately my signal and service improved.

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Service on the waterfront sucks on both NY & NJ sides. I experience this with both AT&T and Verizon. You should just ask for a free microcell from AT&T.

I get good service 90% of the time in all of the boros including L.I, Yonkers etc:

22. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I don't know about Yonkers, but my phone is unusable in Long island (particularly Nassau county). I'm lucky to get 100k on 3G, and the calls constantly drop. When they do work, the voice quality is so bad that it's not worth calling. Manhattan and Queens are similarly bad. I don't go to Brooklyn, the bronx, or staten island very frequently so I can't comment about service there.

23. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

I use my 4S at my apartment on the upper west side and work in and around a big hospital in the city and have never had a complaint about my 3G data or voice connections. Sure, I get a drop here and there, but I find it no different than when I was on Verizon. To each their own.

Service in Brooklyn and Staten Island has always been reliable to me too

24. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

AT&T does suck for calls around here

But with data use explosion past few years, I suspect many of us have not noticed drops as much cuz we don't talk as much!!!!

AT&T does suck here (nyc and burbs) and it's a night and day from Verizon on calls / in my past experience...