AT&T + NYC = worst imaginable service. Need advice on good/affordable carrier

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rawdawg, Sep 8, 2011.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

When the new iPhone comes out I am going to drop AT&T and their atrocious service. Right now I pay the highest premium for the worst service.

It would be nice to save money but I would also be okay with paying a similar price with a reliable carrier like Verizon.

Does anyone have experience with their NYC provider regarding reliable/affordable service. I live in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn.

2. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Only two providers carry the iPhone - AT&T and Verizon. That may expand to T-Mobile and/or Sprint in the future (near future, possibly), but no one can give you information on the iPhone on any other carrier besides those two. Yes, GSM version (AT&T) of the iPhone does work after it has been unlocked on T-Mobile, but its limited to EDGE speeds since the 3G frequencies are different on T-Mo and AT&T.

3. Dunbar macrumors 6502

I remember hearing Howard Stern say how he switched from AT&T to Verizon and said the difference was amazing. He could actually make phone calls in NYC.

4. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

great reminder.. I guess I keep hearing about unlocking techniques and needed the reminder about options.

I'll wait to hear about Sprint/ T-mobile -- any forward thinking advice about them as well?--for instance I hear people saying Without AT&T, T-Moble is a wireless white elephant. Now AT&T is looking at Sprint? Guess big changes are coming to the cell world.

5. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Sprint is supposed to carry the iPhone 5. I live in Brooklyn and I use a Sprint 4G MiFi. Sprint has pretty good coverage in Brooklyn.

6. OneForGadgets macrumors member

RawDawg -

I live in NYC and actually work in the Financial District. Last July I ditched my AT&T iPhone 4 for the VZ and couldn't be happier with my move. Service is horrendous from AT&T and they even use the "we are upgrading our service" line more times than I ever want to hear.

I would suggest making the move to VZ if that is available. You will notice instantly, trust me. I can make calls inside my apartment and at work. World of difference.

Good luck.

7. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

I heard this to, glad there are other Stern fans on here :D

8. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I've heard from family members and other folks in NYC that AT&T has gotten considerably better.

9. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

AT&T has worked slightly better for me in Clinton Hill than Verizon. But both are pricey, with Verizon being a little more expensive (though maybe I've just gotten good AT&T deals). It is when I go into Manhattan that I see better Verizon service. Note that Verizon's download speeds are about half the speed of AT&T when I've tested it in Brooklyn. But I rarely download onto my phone large stuff when I'm not also on wifi, so for my phone I really just care about phone call quality. Sprint and T-Mobile should both have the iPhone 5 and both should be a lot cheaper than Verizon and AT&T. Hold off on your purchase until you hear about performance from those companies.