AT&T only has 16gb 4S??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Christof60, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Christof60 macrumors newbie

I have been waiting and waiting for the iphone5 to be released so I could get the 4S, but when I check it out in the AT&T store, you can only get the 16gb 4S unless you look in "refurbished"... What's up with that? Are they just out, or is this a ploy to gt more people to buy the iphone5??
    16gb has been plenty for me with the 4, but with ios6 updated camera and HD video/pics, I figured I would be better off getting the 32gb in the 4S.

I can see them limiting the choice for the iphone4, since it's two models old, but not the 4S.... And I'm not impressed enough with the 5 to pay the big $$ for that upgrade....

Any thoughts? Maybe Verizon has the 32gb model?

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

The only 4S you can get anywhere in new condition now is 16GB.

Unless you go on eBay of course.

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

This is how Apple always works when the release a new model: the old model goes down to one size only.

Not sure what you mean by "ios6 updated camera and HD video/pics" The os is not going to improve your photo quality (besides giving you the panorama option).

On the other hand, everyone is currently selling their 4s online, so you can always go that route.

4. Christof60 thread starter macrumors newbie

When you can still buy an iPhone 3, then they should drop the 4 to 16gb, and keep the 4S larger capacity at least for another 6 mo. And yes, the camera was HD in the 4S, but wasn't the video quality improved with the ios6? Panoramic shots is cool, but surely would take up quite a bit more space?
    As far as buying online, why would I pay $400+ for the 4S used when I can get the 5 with a contract for $299 32gb?

5. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

What's an "iPhone 3" ?

iPhone
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5

6. Beezzy macrumors 6502

Apple store still has the 32Gb and 64Gb models for cheaper. Or check Best Buys or other 3rd party mobile sales stores.

7. MrSpanks macrumors member

Yes, I only see your motive for getting the 4S now because you possibly would have to wait for the 5 if you didn't camp out. Why is it you want the 4S?

8. Christof60 thread starter macrumors newbie

C'mon, really?

9. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I think he means the iPhone 3GS, which is the 3rd phone.

10. Christof60 thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally, a decent question. Same reason I waited for the 4S to come out.... I then got the 4 for $49.99 (16gb), and although I really wanted Siri (I have a neurological disease an have trouble using keys), so I thought when the 5 came out, I could do the same. When the 4S came out, you could still get the 4 with 8, 16, or 32gb.. So in theory, when the 5 came out, the 4S would still have the 8, 16, and 32gb and the 4 would drop to 8 and 16... I guess 8 is too little memory for the 4..
    Anyway, if I have to get a refurb to get 32gb, maybe I'll go that route.
    What do you think of 16gb in the 4S? It's plenty of memory for my 4, just want to make sure it is enough for the 4S.

Thanks.

----------

Apparently you're a brighter person, yes, that's exactly what I meant, and I'm quite sure they knew that.

----------

Thanks Beezzy, but I would have to go through a carrier to get my "company" discount. Not sure why, but cannot get that discount at the Apple Store, even if getting an AT&T phone. Bummer.

11. MrSpanks macrumors member

The space used that you would need doesn't affect the type of iPhone, rather the Software that Apple releases. I believe iOS6 is about 300 more MB than iOS5. Which you'd see no difference at all on your device. So 16GB would be perfectly fine in your situation. Unless you have less than around 500MB available, which you'd need to change what you put on your phone or upsize.

12. dave006 macrumors 68020

There is no hardware discount, so no hardware discount at AT&T or Apple.

If your currently have a corporate discount and you pay the bill there is a 99.9% you can purchase from Apple. Your FAN discount will still be available on your account.

You can check if your acccount can be serviced by Apple by checking your upgrade status at this Apple site. If it accepts your phone number then you are good to go for a purchase of an older iPhone 4S that may still be in inventory. http://store.apple.com/xc/iphone_eligibility

Dave

13. Christof60 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks Dave and Mr.Spanks!
    I checked my phone, and although I have over 1100 pics, 43 vids, 46 Apps, and 357 songs, I still have 5gb left... So I guess it would work, but with the higher def camera and video, I would have to transfer more stuff to my PC probably.. And I will check the Apple site for upgrade. My discount is a corporate discount, just looked at my latest bill...

----------

Checked through your link to Apple Store, and it shows discount, but still only a 16gb 4S....
    Maybe I'll wait awhile, see how people like the 5, then drop the extra $$ if its all that and just get the 5... Siri is all I really want though, I'm very happy with the 4 aside from that..