AT&T or Sprint OR stick with Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by surfer92, Apr 19, 2012.

1. surfer92 macrumors newbie

So right now I'm on a family plan with everyone in my family on basic phones. I want to upgrade to an iPhone soon so we're looking at switching from Verizon. My main question is the data for Sprint. Does anyone know the deal with unlimited? Like is it only for one device on a family plan. I'm looking for information on Sprint's data that is confusing on the website. I know Sprint's data coverage is not as good as AT&T or Verizon.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm just really jumping in on this and am looking for advice.

Thanks for any help!

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Sprints unlimited is per device. AFAIK all they offer is unlimited, so if you have a smartphone, it's unlimited.

I am unclear as to why you are wanting to switch from Verizon though. I assumed it was just for unlimited, but then you mention AT&T as well.

3. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Any device has unlimited data usage UNLESS you accumulate more than 250ish MB roaming data OR have more roaming than nonroaming data

If you go over 250 consistently they'll terminate you.

If you get a smartphone there is a $10 data fee per line in addition to the cost of the plan.

That being said I have been very happy with sprint for over 2 years now. They have some great voice plans.

4. j1787 macrumors member

j1787

5. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

Go with the provider that gives you the best service at your location. I'm a customer of Verizon for my 4G LTE mifi, and I'm very happy as a customer... but the phone coverage of Verizon in our area is very weak... so our batteries would drain fast from looking for a phone signal. We went with AT&T for phone and 3G data... and the service is great in our location. I would have prefered to go with with one provider, but it didn't make sense for us to go with Verizon if they had a better plan... if we can't use the service. It worked out to have 2 data plans... so I have 2 options with data coverage... just in case one provider doesn't have good data coverage... I can switch to the other. Doesn't make sense to have 2 data plans... but my work pays for all my data.:)

6. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

Depends on the area your in. If sprint is strong there then go for it but I live on long island and sprint was terrible. Unlimited data yea that's cool but useless when you are running at sub 100kbps. I left for at&t and have not looked back. I get wifi at work and I have wifi at home so staying under the 3gb mark is no problem for me.

7. surfer92 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll be in North Jersey and D.C. (school).

Are there any sources as to how the coverage is in those areas?

Thanks

8. b24pgg macrumors 65816

I think most people would agree that the best possible scenario is to be on Verizon with an unlimited data plan.

Of course they don't offer that option any more, but you can still back-door your way into an unlimited data plan by buying a line from someone else and doing the "assumption of liability" procedure.

People sell these lines all the time on eBay. Just something you may want to look into.

9. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

What bugs me about Verizon is that you can't talk and surf at the same time when you're on 3G.

10. pcl818 macrumors newbie

11. b24pgg macrumors 65816

That's an iPhone problem, not a Verizon problem. Simultaneous voice and data works on Verizon over 4G. Almost all of Verizon's current smartphones except the iPhone are 4G capable.

12. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

4g is not exactly everywhere at the moment, I don't foresee 4g coming to Eau Claire, WI (my city) for about another 5 years or more...

13. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Probably can't port an existing number to that kind of line though, right?

14. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This. As always.

Real world experience is your best bet. If you can't test a location on your own then poll others in the area. Don't rely solely on coverage maps.

Best is always highly subjective, regardless of topic. Don't confuse your preference with "most people".

Please read the comment you're quoting. The limitations of Verizon's 3G are not an "iPhone problem". The same problem exists on any device on Verizon 3G including 4G devices that have to fall back to 3G.

15. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Verizon is supposedly set to cover their current 3G footprint with 4G by end of 2013.

16. Dkorda macrumors 6502

Sprint- Has the best price, but the worst data speeds and call quality

Verizon- Tierd plans, best 3G coverage, you won't drop calls on Verizon. No surf n talk

AT&T- Tierd data plans, small 3G footprint outside the big cities

17. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Simultaneous voice/data works on Verizon 4G LTE.

18. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

But OP is switching to an iPhone so atm he can't use LTE

19. b24pgg macrumors 65816

I can show you about a dozen studies and polls corroborating that fact. Here's one.

Statistically speaking, I'm right.
    Nearly every device in Verizon's current lineup is 4G capable. Verizon 4G supports simultaneous voice and data. If you want to purchase a device with old technology that can't be used on the most current network, then it's a problem with the device, not with the network.

20. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

this is not true!

21. baummer macrumors 6502a

Sprint's phone call quality is perfectly fine - I can't spot a difference. Their data speeds are slow though, that I agree with. I rarely drop calls with Sprint, and it is usually if I am talking to someone who is using AT&T.

22. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

in 10+ years of being with Sprint i'm pretty sure I have never dropped a call, as for data speeds.. in my area VzN speeds are the exact same if not worse the Sprint

23. cbronfman macrumors 6502

in DC Verizon probably better

I live in DC and am on ATT. It's OK, maybe good in locations but Verizon has a strong signal because of their government contracts to wire the metro etc. The ground boosters mean that Verizon customers get better reception inside buildings, but also in locations where somehow ATT towers miss certain areas. In Bethesda, AT&T is really good. In Georgetown, it's OK but I think Verizon would be better. I would advise waiting a few months to see what Apple comes out with. Verizon's LTE coverage is much vaster for the next few years. ATT's roll out is slower.

I find AT&T's customer service hugely superior to Verizon. I was/am thinking about switching to Verizon when the next iPhone comes (although I'll probably wait and read reviews - as switching would require me to pay early termination fees at AT&T.

24. b24pgg macrumors 65816

In most regions of the country, it is.

This is from the most recent J.D. Power Wireless Network Quality Survey from March 2012 (lower scores are better.) Verizon dominates in 5 of 6 regions while Sprint comes in last or next to last in 5 of 6 regions.

[​IMG]

25. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

interesting...

not my experiences in WI