AT&T or Verizon for "iPhone 5"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Aug 18, 2012.

?

What are you doing with next iPhone?

1. On AT&T, keeping AT&T

28 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. On Verizon, keeping Verizon

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. on Verizon, getting AT&T

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. on AT&T, getting Verizon

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Currently have AT&T, had it for quite a long time.

On family plan 2100 min + unlimited text + unlimited data on each 4 lines.

LTE I think just got put up in my area, and I hope I can use my upgrade subsidy without losing my unlimited plan (unlike Verizon that makes you pay outright for the phone contract free if you want to keep the unlimited, otherwise you get forced to to pick a capped GB plan)

I know unlimited is now 3GB+throttle after for HSPA+ and below, and 5GB+throttle after for LTE devices. This would be awesome if I get this 5GB+throttle with next LTE iPhone. I use iTunes Match quite a bit.

So....

I stopped using Verizon years and years and years ago because all their phones used to be terrible and because SIM cards rock for flexibility. I stayed on the iPhone path almost exclusively since iPhone, however. But now that Verizon and AT&T afaik use the same LTE, SIM technology it will be the same in terms of flexibility, no? And voice+data on both (given that its in LTE range on Verizon, not 3G)? But it looks like on Verizon's site you have to pick a shared plan all together theres no longer standard family plans is that how its panning out if I were to start a new family plan with them?

Hmmm.... What are you doing?

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sprint is a dog on our company iPhones

I have AT&T and have had no issues, so I see no reason to change providers

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

Meh, I can't complain.

5. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

I was gonna put sprint in as an option but I'm not considering it for its slim lte coverage but I like their plans the most obviously just not good for my coverage area and I'd be frightened to get locked in with them

And those prepaid mvno's rock I have a friend with straight talk it's nuts for 45 bucks. Very tempting BUT mvnos won't get LTE love.

I only put in the poll the options relevant to my situation

6. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I have AT&T and I live in one of their LTE cities (StL)... With my FAN discount and the style of the new shared data plans. I am much better off sticking with AT&T.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Likely going Verizon, but not for the conventional reason. Basically getting a company phone paid for. Reception int he area of Boston that we are moving to seemed pretty bad though when we recently visited. As such I will likely keep AT&T for at least a month to make sure I actually get reception where I need it. Unfortunately I will have to buy the phone outright, but not having to pay for the plan will make up for that pretty quickly. Honestly wish it wasn;t VZW though. Swapping phones on their network on a corporate account is a PITA.

8. chokem macrumors 6502

I've been with AT&T for over 7 years now, and for all their faults, I still believe they are better than VZW. Plus the coverage in my area is better than Verizon.

9. 87am macrumors regular

I was with Verizon forever and then jumped to AT&T for the iPhone 4. I will be going back as soon as the "5" launches. AT&T is a few bucks cheaper and that's all it's got going for it at this point. There are just too many dead spots in AT&T's network that lead to constant dropped calls, and I'm speaking from my experience spending time up and down the east coast. With Verizon I experienced maybe 5% of the dropped calls I have on AT&T. Oh yeah, and try to browse the web over 3G on att in a major city, it's not going to happen.

10. kevink2 macrumors 6502a

I have a plan that works for me right now on ATT. It would cost me more to go with Verizon, even though in the short term it would give me LTE.

11. takeshi74, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

As always (and what everyone should do), using the carrier that provides me the best coverage where I need it.

Considering that the Share Everthing plans aren't a con for me (I'm paying slightly less, tethering without worrying and was able to add my iPad) what I'm doing really doesn't sound relevant to you. Base your decision on your needs/wants/etc.