At&T or Verizon in New Jersey Area (iPad3 Owners)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rocknblogger, Jun 21, 2012.

1. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I would love to get replies from those who've had both but either way, if you have AT&T or Verizon what is your experience like with LTE?

On Verizon is LTE consistent in the New Jersey area? Same question for AT&T folks.

If your iPad falls back to 3G which is faster AT&T or Verizon?

I appreciate all your input, thanks!!

2. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

In Middlesex County Central NJ I had originally bought the AT&T and rarely saw LTE. The 3G was not bad though. I did however exchange to Verizon as I have them for my iPhone and am more confident in their network.

I find Verizon definitely has LTE more available, but 3G speeds are slower. LTE Speeds are on par with my high speed internet at home, I have Optimum Boost at home.

The Hotspot is a great feature that Verizon offers, I don't know if AT&T finally got it together with that.

Good luck.

3. TheKricket macrumors member

I was only in Jersey for a couple of days last week (Edison, to be exact) - but my Verizon iPad was pretty killer.

I never had a problem connecting to the network, and I was definitely enjoying LTE speeds. Verizon's LTE was faster than the hotel free WiFi.

Again, I was only there for 2 days - and I was fairly close to the airport - so take my experience with a grain of salt...

4. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Thank you both for your replies. DougFNJ can you please explain the hotspot feature you mentioned in your comment? Is that like the wifi that cablevision offers to their customers when they're out and about or is this something else?

Thanks!!

R.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Personal Hotspot is the ability to use your iPad as a personal WiFi hotspot. Basically, you're tethering other devices to your iPads' Verizon internet connection.

I'm on AT&T, but for my iPhone. My iPad 3 is Wifi, and I tether it (and my laptop, when I travel with it) with my iPhone when I'm out of range of normal WiFi.

6. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

As much as I hate VZW that's the way to go for the iPad in NJ. I'm in eastern Union County and wherever I go I have LTE coverage. If there is no LTE the 3G sucks but I haven't had that problem yet. ATT LTE is very spotty.

7. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Thanks for all your answers but for now I'm sticking with my iPad 2. Next year I'll see what the iPad 4 has to offer and then most likely make the switch.