AT&T or Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Resist, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

Currently my iPhone 4 is with AT&T and they aren't bad in my area. I'm grandfathered in the unlimited data plan and really want to keep it, plus I like roll over minutes. I also really like being able to use data and voice simultaneously however, Verizon has better service coverage overall. So I'm not sure if I should stick with AT&T or go to Verizon when I upgrade to the iPhone 5. Any suggestions?

2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Doesn't LTE support simultaneous voice and data?

If you say Verizon has better coverage, go with them.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Simultaneous voice and data is possible on Verizon LTE, but only you can decide whether keeping unlimited data/rollover minutes or having better coverage is more important to you.

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Clarify "not bad" and better coverage.

In your normal use do you have coverage issues with ATT and know that Verizon can fill in those gaps?

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

+1

Sounds like you've answered your own question.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Maybe. Maybe not.

If by better coverage, he is referring to press reports, friends, or ads, it could be a bad decision.

If he is referring to his PERSONAL usage area, then it would be a good decision.

After all, there are areas where ATT is superior. Some areas where Verizon is superior. And some areas where they are about equal. And probably a few where they both suck.

8. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Okay so LTE allows for data/voice at the same time and Verizon has a small advantage for my area and probably a better advantage when I'm out of town.

However, AT&T has roll over minutes, which is a huge plus.

9. bogatyr macrumors 65816

If you don't already have Verizon, your only option is the Share Everything Plans which have unlimited voice.

10. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Which probably make it out of my price range. :(

11. bogatyr macrumors 65816

12. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Sounds like a terrible deal.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

Because it is. Right now if I were to jump ship from AT&T it would be to Sprint, except their LTE coverage area is worse than AT&T's and will be for the foreseeable future. Sprint is $80 for 450 minutes and unlimited text and data (no throttling). Wi-FI hotspot is an extra $20.

I'm probably going to stick with AT&T for my iPhone. However, I have a Verizon iPad ($20 for 1GB of data and free hot spot), and plan to stick with it.

14. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I agree completely. If I didn't have the grandfathered unlimited plan, I'd probably bail on Verizon. However, I have unlimited everything, including tethering, for $150/mo and I'll probably never give it up.

15. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

150 for individual? Thats wayy expensive compared to Tmo.

16. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

and that's for 1GB. you'd have to compare to a 5GB plan, which is the point att starts to throttle LTE.

17. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I think I've decided to stick with AT&T, mainly because they have roll over minutes (which is a huge deal to me), and I have the $30 unlimited data plan.

18. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

My rationale for sticking with AT&T is that their 3G speeds are better in my area (and in many areas from my understanding) so in situations when I'm in non-LTE areas, the AT&T phone should perform better. This together with combined voice & data and the fact that AT&T's LTE speeds are marginally better in most markets convinced me.

Also something about CDMA just irks me... I'd rather have a device that uses only GSM/LTE, the worldwide standard for the most part. Having an AT&T version seems to help re-sale also, because if you get it unlocked it works with all GSM carriers worldwide, whereas I don't believe Verizon/Sprint versions will.

Granted I was very tempted to switch to Verizon because 1) My area isn't getting AT&T LTE until the end of the year and 2) My wife and I had to pay full retail for one ip5 and the extra $250 for the other. Tough choice, but the ETF together with the other reasons made me stick w/AT&T.

19. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5