AT&T paying groups for T-Mobile merger support

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CorvusCamenarum, Jun 10, 2011.

1. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

What do the NAACP, GLAAD, and the NEA have in common? If you answered AT&T is paying them to come out in support of the planned merger with T-Mobile, you'd be correct.

Politico

If this is true, I'd like to sell them a bridge. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I'm confronted with a sticky merger worth billions that could possibly involve antitrust issues and result in a loss of competition and innovation, I certainly value the NAACP's paid opinion higher than any other.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ok, so the whole point here is.....??

You already know they gave them money, so, what did you expect? The opposite?

On a separate point, the organizations received money even before the merger... so, what else is new?

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I wonder what other positions those fine organizations have taken due to being paid. Shakes head.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

<aside>

Why is it still NAACP?? Hasn't "coloured" been retired, once and for all?

None of us are coloured, we are toned, between White and Black, or Black and White, if you prefer, given our suggested origin on this ball o' antagonism.

</aside>

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

There was a time in this country when our politicians viewed mergers and consolidation of powers this big as a scourge to the country.

Now the view point is "well, they want to do this, how can we help them get it done?" They "review" the plans and smooth over any problems the public would have with funny financial tricks.

Do we really need one less telecom company in this country? Isn't competition supposed to be the capitalistic way?

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That was the reason Ma Bell was split up to begin with, now it is reforming itself again. Of course AT&T is only in name only at this point. SBC is still the parent company.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats what I really don't understand. It's simply been a reformation of the company that was split up originally.

I think the lack of action or caring has to do, legally anyway, with the fact that the industry has been lobbying hard for years now to ensure that wireless communications are regulated differently from wired. They've gotten their wish time and again, and then some.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It is actually bigger now than it was before the split. SBC doubled the size when they merged, plus all the wireless companies they bought up.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Damn.
    :mad:

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So SBC was Southern Bell Company and was one of the splits of AT&T in 1983. It then bought out AT&T and became the parent company in 2005.

So of the 7, 4 are back together.

11. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Supporting a charity is all fine and good, but it's a whole different sack of marbles to buy these statements said charities have been suddenly issuing, which is essentially what AT&T is doing. Or do you honestly think that a group like GLAAD has some deep insight into the ramifications of the proposed merger that the FCC and other interested parties are lacking?

12. stroked Suspended

stroked

Your right, except I wouldn't call those three organizations charities. They are political organizations.

I wonder if they also bought any of the conservative orgs like the NRA, or are just the liberals for sale.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am going to say this smells like headline grabbing to me and classical example of not doing real reporting.

Have those groups been receiving money from AT&T for a while (long before this merger crap) and has that amount changed.

Biggest thing is the groups themselves is funding separated from the PR mouth. If either ones of those are not true then we have a problem.

14. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

The tone of the article suggests that the monies paid to these groups are over and above the normal charitable giving on record.

AT&T must be getting desperate about the merger; the word on the street is the T-Mobile management doesn't want it to go through (although that's complete hearsay from the local T-Mobile store manager here).

15. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

I am going to wager that a big reason a lot of unions, like the NEA and CWA, support the merger is that AT&T is entirely unionized, which makes it very likely that T-Mobile's workers will become unionized as well.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not quite true. Not all of AT&T is unionized.

17. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That was sarcasm, correct? :confused:

19. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Verizon>AT&T

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Tone of it still tells me nothing because like I pointed out it appears to be miss key pieces of info and smells like bad reporting.