AT&T phone rep promised me an upgrade. Is it Legit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pointbreakd, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Pointbreakd macrumors regular

I am not eligable for an upgrade until November. So last night I called AT&T and through my annoying skills convinced them to give me an early upgrade.

After getting to a level 2 supervisor they told they could not change my upgrade status in the computer bc it is automated but the supervisor made a note in my account that said "eligablility overide, eligable for a discounted phone with a 2 year commitment" or something to that effect. Are they really unable to overide the computer?

Do you think it will work with the new iphone? Anyone work at AT&T?

I should also note that he told me I have to go to an AT&T store to get an upgrade.

2. thevol macrumors member

there were some internal at&t documents posted earlier that stated any exception upgrades would be grounds for termination, or someting like that. it was very harsh wording, but if you can pull it off then so be it.

3. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

Yah that was my fear too. But I feel like the exception was already made (IE the note on my account). I guess I'll have to wait and see...any ATT employees have experience with this?

4. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Annoying skills and annoying posts. Wait till November or pay the extra 200 for the phone... suck it up... be a big boy!

5. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks that was helpful. Way to not read the thread and or not provide anything relevant or constructive. Annoying posts, I agree.

6. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Nobody would know for sure. Guess you will find out Friday

7. Murphy'sLaw macrumors member

I had att change my upgrade eligibility over the phone and they made a note on my account as well. I also requested that they email me confirmation so I could print it out and have it with me friday when I purchase my iPhone 3G. You might want to try calling back to see if you could get a similar letter emailed to you.

8. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

That's a good idea. thanks.

9. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

Yes. When I worked for at&t it was done all the time to quell high value customers with legitimate issues. No one ever got fired for it.

The memo circulating relates to employees hooking up their buddies w/ upgrades, which i never saw happen. Doing so is the equivalent of stealing.

Ultimately though, the decision to allow an early upgrade lies with the employee/supervisor at the AT&T store, not customer service (611). All 611 does is make an account note which doesn't mean jack sh*t.

10. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

Cool thanks for responding. In your experience do store employees usually follow the CS notes?

11. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

The reps can do some things that you wouldn't believe. I call and get money credited to my account a few times a year. I ask nicely for anything they can do for me, sometimes they can do stuff and sometimes cant. But it doesn't hrt to ask.

12. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

Calling AT&T and causing a stir just to force them to give you something you aren't actually eligible for yet.... You should be very proud of yourself. :rolleyes:

13. Pointbreakd thread starter macrumors regular

haha oh well, for the record, the reps at AT&T blow away verizon.

14. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

A customer service override and a salesperson override are different things.

I suspect that customer service reps/managers are allowed to do overrides as part of their job.

They don't want salespeople doing overrides or they would override every single person who asked because they get paid on commission.