AT&T PRE-ORDER

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stuey12345, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Kmhart23 macrumors newbie

This is my first year pre-ordering with the att next plan. Last year when I got my 7plus I signed up for the next every year plan so I could upgrade this year.

Does anyone know how this impacts preorders? Will I still be able to pre order online or do I have to do it in store since the phone must be traded in?

Thanks!

2. CaptMarvel, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

Same boat.

From what I understand, as long as you have met the threshold amount to be eligible for upgrade which is 50% you should be good to go. Luckily preorders aren't until next month so if you got your 7 Plus at launch last year you should be good to go by the time preorders kick off.

About the latter...I'm curious too. If it's anything like last year, AT&T didn't expect the device UNTIL you received your new one, and you could either mail it in or take it to a retail AT&T store. Fingers crossed it's the same way this year.

3. Daws001 macrumors 6502

Daws001

Same for me. I just read their policy and we have the option to mail our old phone in once the new one is shipped. Have like 14 days. Woot!

4. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

Nice. I'd still recommend ordering through Apple app for launch day delivery or close to it. Carrier order seems to always complicate things.

5. Kmhart23 macrumors newbie

Alright, that doesn't sound too bad. Thanks for the info!!

6. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I really want to know what is going to happen for people (possibly myself) buying the iPhone X. It will throw us off our upgrade cycle to get a new iPhone every year AT LAUNCH because of its delayed release date. I called AT&T, but the person I talked to did not have any useful information.

Now, if I (and others) buy the iPhone 8/8+, then we stay on our upgrade cycle to get a new iPhone every year at launch because it is being released on its normal schedule.

Apple has created a mess for NEXT customers AND iPhone Upgrade Program (IUP) customers. Really frustrated with Apple this year.

:apple:

7. ldpm14 macrumors 6502

ldpm14

8. Complex757 macrumors regular

Complex757

I hope AT&T says something about this in the next day or two.

9. dsmill macrumors member

I have to pay $40.37 to upgrade and then send the phone back to AT&T with the next program. I want to order from the Apple Store app, but I wanted to know if I would be able to, since I need to make that payment. I went to an AT&T store today and they told me I had to pay at the time of preorder, because it is all done in one transaction. Can that payment be done through Apple Store app or do I need to go through AT&T?

10. Complex757 macrumors regular

Complex757

I did mine through the app store a couple of days ago to make sure it was processed and out of the way.

11. dsmill macrumors member

How did you do it through the App Store?

12. Complex757 macrumors regular

Complex757

I was either in the app store or AT&T app clicking around and I checked to see if I was eligible and it said I owed $32. So I simply paid that. I didn't know I still owed something since I had a balance on my bill, because I'm OCD for even numbers and always round up.

13. dsmill macrumors member

Thanks. I will try both ways and see what happens.

14. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

I was just looking at it- I think you only have 14 days from when you make your 12th payment (on the next 12) plan to trade in your phone. So if you plan to pre-order the 8 or 8 plus, I wouldn't pay off my balance until early Thursday. For iPhone X I would wait until the 26 of Nov if there is a balance.

15. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Great info Sydia, I have made my 12th payment and IF I decide to get the iPhone X, AT&T can suck it if they are going to tell me I have to turn in my current iPhone just because I paid on time!!! If they do that, it might be time to switch to a different carrier!

:apple:

16. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 6502a

PhillyGuy72

This is my question also, the last time I pre-ordered was simply through Apple back in Sept 2014 (iPhone 6 Plus), back then the 2 year ATT contract still applied.

For the 8Plus, I did go on the site just now and the options to pay in full are there, or these NEXT plans...I am just not familiar with this. Looks like you can either trade it in next Sept, or in 2 years. Basically making small payments on that phone each month. I may go to my ATT store tomorrow and ask them, I have to figure this all out before Thurs night.
    [​IMG]

17. applesNoranges88 macrumors member

applesNoranges88

Person must be an authorized user on primary account

18. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

You can always pay the necessary amount to upgrade. That’s what you will have to do if the next iPhone comes a month earlier

19. applesNoranges88 macrumors member

applesNoranges88

Yes it can

20. kuietstorm macrumors member

kuietstorm

Going to order using the  store app. It's taken me literally 3mins to place my order in the past.

21. titrau macrumors 6502a

titrau

Does any carrier allow free iphone 2 yrs contract at this movement ????

22. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

My overtime check says: Buy from Apple, outright - iPhone X 256GB. WTH??? Wife concurs.

AT&T - I have purchased from them about 4 times over the past 10 years. The rest has been directly from Apple.

23. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

I have AT&T and have preordered from Apple every year for every phone since the 4 and gotten all of them on launch day. Way easier process and guaranteed launch day delivery if you are fast

24. Phightinphils macrumors 6502

Phightinphils

I play it safe and have my iPad + iPhone with the Apple Store App and then apple.com and att.com open on my desktop. If you rely on your carrier's website to pre-order, however, you're just asking for disappointment. There's only been one iPhone launch that had the carrier site open before Apple Store App/website but it was a fluke. Just like everyone else that posted, the app is hands down your best bet.

If you live with anyone else, see if you can use their phone and sign into the apple store app with your info so you have two devices trying to get on the store.

25. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Last year I used the AT&T site. No issues other than the JB 7+ not being available on the launch day.