AT&T question, buying in full but to use with existing phone line?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Sep 8, 2014.

1. bobright macrumors 601

I want to buy the phone online paid in full but to use on my existing phone number with AT&T. The current phone number line I want it added to is just a flip phone and is no longer in contract. I don't want to lose my number.

How do I go about this when checking out? I always bought subsidized and it was just bought as an upgrade through AT&T except this time I want to buy in full so it isn't really an upgrade.

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You do realize that once you put that phone on that line, it will need a data plan, right?

Other than that, yes you can do it.

Not sure why you would pay the entire price up front vs NEXT, but that is another story.

3. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

You just need to buy the SIM FREE version of the phone at full retail, and then you'll need to either Go to an AT&T store so they can give you a sim card for the phone, or if you already have a nano sim that is active for the line you want to put the phone on, just pop that into the iPhone and you'll be all set.

4. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Of course.
    Ok hopefully there is this option. So basically when checking out there will be no mention of an upgrade or my existing phone number at all. I would want the tmobile version or which version does it not have a provider associated with it?

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Anybody can just buy a phone at full price with no carrier information needed. You then sell it, give it away, or apply to exisitng account.

6. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

Full price iPhone 6 may or may not be available on launch day.