Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iprime

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
My parents are getting AT&T family plan (2 iphone 4S). I want to join the family plan rightaway but want to wait a couple of months to get 4S. Can I get it for subsidized price then if I activate the line now using my iphone 3gs that I got off craiglist ?

azhagan

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Yes you can, the lines on family plans have independent contract requirements. So your line would still show an eligibility for upgrade when you bring your own phone. Once everything is set up just make sure that your line still has an eligible upgrade. Sometimes they do tend to screw up.

iprime

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Yes you can, the lines on family plans have independent contract requirements. So your line would still show an eligibility for upgrade when you bring your own phone. Once everything is set up just make sure that your line still has an eligible upgrade. Sometimes they do tend to screw up.

In other words, I can use service without contract until then. I have to sign a contract only if I get a subsidized phone from them?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
In other words, I can use service without contract until then. I have to sign a contract only if I get a subsidized phone from them?

You need to be extremely careful adding a line and bringing a phone to AT&T. First they will try to tell you can't do it month to month by bringing your own phone which obviously is a lie. Second you need to clearly have customer service add in their notes that you have not used your upgrade when you added the line.

I have seen horrible stories where people did the same thing you wanted to do and when they wanted to upgrade 3-4when months down the line AT&T systems said they couldn't upgrade for 11 months from the time you did the month to month by just go over to howardforums and do a search.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
The only time you ever need a contract is if you get a subsidized phone. If you bring your own phone you just pay as you go.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI

Yes. The contract is so they can recover the costs of subsidizing your phone. If you already own the phone and are bringing it with you, you shouldn't have to sign a contract. You should just be able to go month by month, and then sign a contract when you want a subsidized phone.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You need to be extremely careful adding a line and bringing a phone to AT&T. First they will try to tell you can't do it month to month by bringing your own phone which obviously is a lie. Second you need to clearly have customer service add in their notes that you have not used your upgrade when you added the line.

I have seen horrible stories where people did the same thing you wanted to do and when they wanted to upgrade 3-4when months down the line AT&T systems said they couldn't upgrade for 11 months from the time you did the month to month by just go over to howardforums and do a search.

This is EXACTLY what happened to my mother-in-law.

Her husband signed up for AT&T when the iPhone 4 came out. I gave her my old iPhone 3G and he added her as a 2nd line with it.

4 months later she decided she really did want the iPhone 4. They tried to get it for the subsidized price and AT&T claimed she couldn't for another year and a half.

They finally got it straightened out but it took hours of phone calls to do it. AT&T will do whatever they can to screw you. Be careful.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
3GS to 4S on AT&T network

I currently have a 3GS but getting a 4S.

Here's my problem. Right now I have spotty "G" coverage (low or no bars) and often need to turn the "G" off to get a signal. I understand that you can not turn off "G" with the 4S. Is there anyone, in a similar situation, with spotty "G" coverage having problems with their 4S?

Question: If I keep my 3GS by adding a line, would I need a separate data plan for or can you share either minutes or data with your existing line? Asking because I've heard of family plans with other carriers that allow sharing of minutes but not sure about the data. Currently I have unlimited data with AT&T.

MacBoy1491

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
SF
Each line requires its own data plan. However, the minutes are shared in a family plan.

I currently have a 3GS but getting a 4S.

Here's my problem. Right now I have spotty "G" coverage (low or no bars) and often need to turn the "G" off to get a signal. I understand that you can not turn off "G" with the 4S. Is there anyone, in a similar situation, with spotty "G" coverage having problems with their 4S?

Question: If I keep my 3GS by adding a line, would I need a separate data plan for or can you share either minutes or data with your existing line? Asking because I've heard of family plans with other carriers that allow sharing of minutes but not sure about the data. Currently I have unlimited data with AT&T.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
This is EXACTLY what happened to my mother-in-law.

Her husband signed up for AT&T when the iPhone 4 came out. I gave her my old iPhone 3G and he added her as a 2nd line with it.

4 months later she decided she really did want the iPhone 4. They tried to get it for the subsidized price and AT&T claimed she couldn't for another year and a half.

They finally got it straightened out but it took hours of phone calls to do it. AT&T will do whatever they can to screw you. Be careful.

Exactly, happened to a few people I know also.
They had their own phone and only got a sim card from AT&T and asked to be month to month with no contract and later found out they got duped.
Be carefull, double check and verify everything before you leave the store cause some of those reps will lie and do anything to get you into a contract so they can get their commision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.