AT&T refuses to prorate unused advance billed monies

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jimbnvirginia, Mar 12, 2011.

1. jimbnvirginia macrumors newbie

Sep 24, 2009
    South of Fredericksburg, VA
    I switched from AT&T to Verizon, when the iPhone 4 rolled out on February 10th. We had two numbers on the AT&T account. My wife's 3G had no contract, so I switched her on February 10th and I switched my iPhone 4 after posting it on eBay on February 17th. I did not pay the AT&T bill that I received at the first of February because I knew that they advance billed. When I received my March bill I expected the February bill to be prorated but it was not.

I called AT&T and talked to customer service and was told that because I canceled my account before the end of the billing cycle that my bill would not be prorated. My wife's number only used 2 days in the billing cycle and my number only used 10 days on the billing cycle. The advance bill was $129.62. I figured that it should have been prorated down to approximately $38.00.

AT&T's policy is "When canceling an account at the end of the bill cycle, the customer will always receive a complete final bill with all usage charges and the monthly service charge. When service is canceled immediately, charges could possibly be prorated. Refer to Prorated Charges.

Advanced Billing: Monthly recurring charges and airtime are not prorated even if the service is canceled before the bill cycle end date."

I believe this is just another way for AT&T to take advantage of iPhone customer's that are tired of poor service and decided to switch to Verizon. I was willing to pay the early termination fee ($255.00 plus tax) but do not feel that I should have to pay for advance billed days that I did not use. I have filed a complaint with my state's utility commission. This looks like another class-action lawsuit for AT&T.
  2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

Jan 2, 2011
    Sooo, you think that AT&T, changed their policy, just because Verizon got the iPhone? Yeah Right!
    That will just give their attorneys something to do.