AT&T Rep Damaged My iPhone 4S!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by YaBoiD, Jan 15, 2012.

1. YaBoiD, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

YaBoiD macrumors regular

YaBoiD

Hey guys,

I need some advice. I recently purchased a brand new 64GB iPhone 4S from Craigslist and took it over to the AT&T store yesterday. I broke the seal at the store and as usual both the front and back plastic protectors were on. The reason I had taken it to the store was to get it activated. As I watched the store rep across the counter attempt to pry open the SIM card door, I saw him slip and then he attempted again and he managed to pry it open. He returned my iPhone to me fully activated and plastic still intact and put it back into the box until today when I opened it again. Now when I removed the plastic and started restoring a backup I had created on my iP4, I noticed 2 chip dents. 1 was on the chrome bezel and the other on the black frame that surrounds the screen. In addition to the chip dents, my SIM card tray is not properly aligned so the bottom part protrudes noticeably. My question is if I go back to the AT&T store and complain, will they give me a new one or will they not accept responsibility? Any advice is appreciated....TIA :confused::confused::confused:

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

in this type of situation it's best to have confronted him right then and there.

3. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

You should be fine as long as you used a card to pay. Basically if they deny you an exchange or full refund then call your credit card company and dispute the charge with them. This shouldn't be too difficult to get resolved. You'll most likely have to do a lot of talking with some managers, but it will get resolved one way or another.

4. BiigBiscuit macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Go back, speak directly to a manger, and tell them your story (what you essentially posted here). Demand that you want a replacement for their employee's damages. If they won't budge, return it, dispute it with your cc company etc. and go to an Apple Store.

5. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I would definitely give it a shot. The sooner the better, otherwise, they can revert and blame the damage on you. I would remind him that you saw him struggle when prying open your iPhone.

6. YaBoiD, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

YaBoiD thread starter macrumors regular

YaBoiD

I edited and included that I purchased from Craigslist. Sorry I didn't include that info the first time. I am going to try going back Monday morning due to my work schedule. I just wanted to know if You guys have had any similar situations and what the result was. TIA

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If u didnt purchase from AT&T, then it will be a lot harder to dispute.

8. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

Yeah you're pretty much screwed if you got it from Craigslist AND didn't confront him about it when he did it.

For all anyone knows, you could have dropped the phone yourself and been trying to blame it on AT&T. Not saying that's what you did, but there is no evidence to suggest that it was the AT&T rep's fault so AT&T probably won't care.

9. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

I agree with Steve, you will be at the mercy of the store. If you don't have proof of the condition of the phone prior to you bringing it to the store then you really don't have a leg to stand on. Anyone can buy a phone from a 3rd party, go into a store and have the sim card installed, then a day or two later come back and say that the employee damaged the phone and demand a replacement. Also, just playing devil's advocate here, it's entirely possible the damage could have already been there, and that you just happened to notice it after "seeing the employee struggle", which might have drawn your attention to that area of the phone. With it being uneven, it's possible it could have already been broken previously and just jammed back in there. You really don't know if you didn't open it yourself beforehand. It could have been damaged by whoever sold you the phone when they removed their sim card. I doubt this one will go in your favor. If I were a manager, knowing you have no leg to stand on, I wouldn't replace the device.

10. matttye macrumors 601

If its minor aesthetics damage don't worry about it...it's not going to affect your day to day use of the device is it?

I don't understand why people get so hung up on things like this.

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

While a generally agree with you, you also do not understand the mentality of many on this site.

I have witnessed AT&T techs break the casing on a device that they did not know how to remove the battery cover.

Someone that particular should ask for a SIM card, install it themselves and call AT&T to get them to activate. No one is more careful that the one who owns the phone.

12. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

This is very true. I certainly didn't allow T-Mobile to install a new sim in my GNex. If there is anything that needs to be done on my phone, I'm going to do it. I refuse to risk them damaging my phone in any way.

13. Merkie macrumors 68020

1. Why did you go the store to get it activated? iTunes can do that for you.
    2. I have no idea what "activation" actually does, other than it is a barrier that restricts me to use my phone before I insert a valid SIM card. But why? I don't understand this AT ALL. Before the iPhone, I've never ever activated a phone in my life. Wtf is activating?

14. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Yet another question that cannot possibly be answered by members on an Internet forum.

15. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

You're SOL dude. Even if you had confronted them there and then, you didn't buy the phone from them. It's not like the manager can waive a magic wand and give you a new phone...you may have been given a free case or car charger for your "troubles" but that's it. I know several managers within various retail management positions for the cellular carriers in Canada. There is very little liability on the store when you bring your own device unless it is blatantly damaged (rep drops it, cracks it, etc...)

Live & Learn

16. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

If you are not able to just accept it and move on, then sell it and try again.

17. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

Sorry to hear your phone is no longer pristine. You may just want to get a case many call it a day. It's a phone, not a kidney. It doesn't have to be perfect. You'll drop it yourself at some point. I understand that this can be vexing though.

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

sim could have been activated without removing it. I deactivated my i4 sim and transfered all my info to the 4s without touching the Sims. Talk to at&t and maybe apple explains what happened and hope for the best. However I gotta ask was all this hassle worth the few bucks saved?

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Well, the OP did have to get a an AT&T microSIM from somewhere, and usually that's done at an AT&T store.

Though, I wouldn't have let the rep tuch my phone. Just gimme the SIM and I'll put it in myself, thanks.

20. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Your first mistake was letting someone "pry" the sim card tray out. There is no reason to pry anything. Secondly, it sounds fishy to me that the phone was put back in the box immediately and u didn't check to verify the activation, functionality, etc. You bought the phone from a stranger on CL. New or Used, wouldn't you want to make sure it was working properly before u left the AT&T store?? I just can't believe that anyone would walk out of the store and not check to make sure everything was working until a few days later. And as incompetent as AT&T retail employees can be, removing and replacing sims is almost second nature to most of them.

I'm not saying ur lying, but are u sure that u werent the one who was unfarmiliar with removing the sim and tried to "pry" it out, thus damaging it? Hope u wouldn't put a guys job in jeprody just so u could get a free replacement for a mistake u made.

And again, Im not saying ur lying. It's just that the whole story sounds a bit weird.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Why did it need to be activated at AT&T to begin with? I don't understand why that step was necessary. But anyway, it sounds like a day (or multiple) has passed since you were in the store? That's going to be a pretty tough one. I mean for all the ATT store knows, you were the one that did it and are trying to get a free replacement. Do you know the date the person purchased the phone originally (person you got it from)? At the very least you may be able to get Appl Care+ on it. Even then you would be out at least another $150.

By the way, how drunk was this rep? I would think it would be pretty hard to mess up opening a sim tray so badly that you scratch the bezel, nick the glass, and bend the tray.

----------

It is unclear to me whether the phone even had a sim in it or not. OP did not mention this was an ATT locked phone, so it may have been an unlocked one. If that was the case, it would not have had a sim in it to begin with.

22. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Sucks for you but there's nothing you can do now since you didn't confront them at that time.

23. leeng61 macrumors newbie

Return iphone 4s to att without a receipt

can i return my iphone 4s to att where i purchased it about 12 days ago and get a refund without a receipt i paid cash TIA

24. /user/me macrumors 6502

They have a 30 day return policy, so as long as you have a receipt, you should be good to go.

25. YaBoiD thread starter macrumors regular

YaBoiD

Issue Solved!!!!

Spoke with the Apple store and they will be exchanging it for another new one plus AT&T added a decent credit to my account :D . Thanks for the feedback guys. I will definitely be more skeptical next time I think about having a rep work on my phone. :cool: