AT&T Rep told me he unlocked my iphone, but no confirmation in iTunes...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dndandrea, Sep 20, 2012.

1. dndandrea, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

dndandrea macrumors 6502

Not sure if the AT&T rep was just lying to me or if he actually unlocked my iphone 4. As i said in previous threads ive had problems trying to get someone to unlock my phone. Finally got a rep to do it even though he said they're not supposed to do it over the phone anymore. It literally took him a matter of seconds after giving him the IMEI number to tell me he unlocked it.

He told me to restore it and a "congratulations device unlocked" alert should pop up. I restored it once, no alert. Restored it again, no alert. Is this common or does this mean it wasnt unlocked? How am i supposed to confirm the phone is unlocked? I'm shipping the phone out to someone so i don't want it to get there and the buyer be angry saying it isn't unlocked.

Thanks

2. KPOM macrumors G5

3. BlueKhufu, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2012

BlueKhufu macrumors regular

Ignore them.. My friend had the same issue, he had to wait 24 hours, then he tried again and got the congratulations message. If that doesn't work call AT&T again.

4. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

I cannot do it that way. It requires a phone number associated with the iphone im trying to unlock. I've already switched to a different phone since im shipping this phone as soon as its unlocked. I got denied twice doing it this way. When i called he said he understood and would do it over the phone for me.

Ok i'll wait until tonight and try it again, hopefully i have better luck. Is AT&T/Apple able to tell if the iphone is unlocked or is the only to tell by putting a different sim card in there (which i dont have any).

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Interesting. There is a link for a "non-customer" unlock at that site. You'll need to send them a receipt to prove that you paid full price for it, though.

You can get a T-Mobile Micro SIM for $10 and they are selling aggressively to iPhone owners, so you might try that route just to see if it works.

6. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I just got my unlock email from AT&T. The email says to wait 24 hours after receiving the email prior to unlocking the phone. I would wait until later and try again.

7. LeeNH macrumors regular

LeeNH

I had them do it over the phone just a while ago. I called "technical" help and this guy was all alone in an office (subcontractor?). Anyways, he sent what he needed right away and I did the backup/restore and got an immediate "congratulations" on iTunes.

I never got any email though.

8. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Just went through this. First phone call with a rep got the unlock go ahead but I got no message confirmation in iTunes. Called another rep. She said the unlock went through but she called AppleCare while I was on the phone. Apple confirmed the unlock. A headache but I believe them.

9. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

mine is unlocked, never got the message from itunes. But I verified with a Tmobile sim

10. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

I did the online unlock request form on AT&T's website on Monday and have yet to hear anything. The Craigslist buyer for my 4S wants it unlocked and I'm selling it to him tomorrow.

11. webworks415 macrumors 6502

Same thing happened to me. I don't think the message is too important. Looked up the IMEI and it said unlocked. I restored and got no indication.

12. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Where did you lookup your IMEI?

13. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

I also never got the unlocked message in iTunes. Called AT&T again about a week later and they confirmed that the unlock had been completed by Apple.

I used this site. Ignore all the ads and unblock offers. Just enter your IMEI and get the result. It took 2 days after Apple completed my unlock for the status to change.

14. dndandrea, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

So i called ATT again today to figure out whats going on. She said the system tells her it was unlocked today even though i did it yesterday. I still have not got any "congrats device unlocked" alert yet though. Ive been on hold for a while since i asked her to send me some type of email as proof. The buyer of my phone obviously needs proof before i ship it... Not sure if this will cut it.

15. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

So she said she cant send me any type of email as confirmation but she said AT&T will eventually (5-7 days) email with some type of code. Ive seen people online say stuff about a code and that those rumors are completely false or have nothing to do with this.

I dont have a different carriers sim card to test in this device and im not going to go out and pay $$ for one when i shouldnt need to, how am i supposed to confirm this is unlocked to my buyer?

16. kcossabo macrumors member

I tried the link and my iPhone 4 shows unlocked, but so does my new iPhone 5... anyone ever get a locked message from this website?

17. dannn macrumors regular

Do you actually need to restore the phone for it to unlock?

18. mactmaster macrumors 6502

If the phone has ever been replaced at an Apple Store it might not give the congradulations message. It's best to pop in a SIM card from a different carrier. Order one from T-mobile for 3 bucks and you'll have it for future use as well.

19. sfgr415 macrumors newbie

I had a similar experience to yours. I called ATT to request an unlock of my iPhone 4. I waited 24 hours and plugged my iPhone into iTunes, restored it, and did not get a 'Congratulations' alert. I called ATT the next morning to confirm that my phone was unlocked and a supervisor was able to very that it was unlocked. Additionally, she sent me a text message verifying that my iPhone was unlocked. I also checked on that website, and my device was unlocked. I inserted my co-workers T-Mobile and sure enough, my device worked with the T-Mobile network.

20. kcossabo macrumors member

I back'd up and restored it, then cleared all data, and restored it, then clear all data, and before restoring it I got the message that the phone was now unlocked.??

21. FieldingMellish Suspended

For mine, after having waited the 24 hours after receiving the email, I backed up, erased the contents, then swapped sim cards with a new carrier, went to restore and immediately got the notification in iTunes of being unlocked. Did the restore and Bam, Done.

22. ZipZap macrumors 601

23. Fant macrumors regular

Guys on the latest version of itunes there are 2 restore options. There is the restore option at the top to restore the firmware to the latest and reset the phone to default settings and there is the backup and restore option at the bottom to just restore from a backup. I tried the backup and restore option at the bottom and that produced no message. However when i tried the Restore option at the top (next to check for updates), that restored the phone to the latest firmware (checking with apple) and set the phone up as a new phone and thats when i got the confirmation. The next screen asks you then if you want to restore a backup to the phone. So i recommend these steps:

1) Do a backup in itunes
    2) Click on the Restore phone option at the top (next to check for updates)
    3) After firmware is downloaded and restored to phone you should get the unlocked confirmation screen
    4) It will then ask you if you want to restore from backup...pick the backup you just took.

24. barrera1 macrumors newbie

i think it didn't unlock

since i wasn't an AT&T customer so at&t refused me to give unlock code. i got unlocking AT&T iPhone 4 service from www.attunlockcode.com i connected the iPhone with iTunes, it showed ' unlocked successful ' message. if iTunes didn't show successful message i think phone is not unlocked.

Thanks,
    Barrera