AT&T response to dropped calls in NYC...MUST read, it's unbelievable!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rugmuncha, May 28, 2010.

?

Should the public sue AT&T for failing to deliver quality service to people in NYC?

Poll closed Jun 27, 2010.
  1. Absolutely

34.4%
  2. Perhaps

16.1%
  3. No

30.1%
  4. Are you kidding, I love AT&T!

19.4%
  1. rugmuncha macrumors newbie

[/B]Begin forwarded message:

Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------
    Contact and Verification Information
    First Name: Dxxxxx
    Last Name: Txxxxx
    Wireless Number: xxxxxxxxxx
    E-mail Address: dxxxxx.txxxxx@gmail.com
    Topic/Subtopic
    Topic: I have another question about my phone
    Subtopic: No subtopic 2 available

Additional Information

Q1:Enter the wireless number associated with the account you're inquiring about
    A1:917xxxxxxx

Q2:What is the make and model of the phone you're asking about?
    A2:iphone 3g

Q3:please enter your phone question below:
    A3:i do not have a question.

i just tried filling out the stupid survey you sent me, for the second time.and it failed to work again.

i have lived in many countries in the world, and I travel extensively for business.

i the 16 years I have been carrying and using mobile phones, I have never experienced more terrible service (cellular service AND customer service) than at&t.

I recently went to your store in times square where the beligerent girl behind the counter told me that "all we do is sell phones" and informed me if I had any questions about my rate or plan, I should "just call the main number". All this was communicated while one of the male shop attendants was standing behind her. massaging her neck. I walked out.

I drop five or six calls per day in manhattan, and I consider that unacceptable. It won't be long until I happily cancel my at&t account and throw my iphone in the east river.

I look forward to hearing what you might have to say about that.

Regards,

DT

From: AT&T Email Customer Care for Wireless <icare3@amcustomercare.att-mail.com>
    Date: May 28, 2010 9:50:49 AM EDT
    To: <dxxxxxn.txxxxx@gmail.com>
    Subject: Re: Wireless from AT&T Customer Email - Northeast - [TECH] (KMM24443176V54605L0KM)

Dear Mr. Txxxxx,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail AT&T regarding your service and dropped calls with your iPhone. I apologize for any frustration this may have caused. My name is Felicia Mansfield, and I am happy to help you with your inquiry.

I do apologize that you are experiencing a problem with 917-xxx-xxxx; again, I can understand how frustrating this can be. I have reviewed your account and verified that your phone has the current programming downloads and network configurations, and I have verified that there are no outages at this time that would be affecting your service.

I also see that you are using an iPhone 3G please ensure that you have the latest iPhone software version 4 that was recently released. This version includes further improvements to call, device and application performance. To get the iPhone 4 update, simply sync your iPhone 3G with iTunes and click the "Check for Update" button.[/COLOR]

Because of the many factors that can affect cell phone signal strength, we are not able to guarantee 100% coverage. The signal for wireless phones is, in essence, a radio signal and can be affected by the same structures and interference that would block a radio station signal. Weak signal or no signal strength may cause a call to drop or make it difficult to place or receive calls, as well as connect to the Internet through the wireless phone. Please understand that coverage will vary based on your geographical location and can also vary based on other factors such as the type of building structure you are in as well as a variety of other factors, including weather and terrain.

AT&T has a new iPhone application called "Mark the Spot" that allows you to provide your location to AT&T should you experience an issue with service in an area. You can select: Dropped Call, Failed Call, No Coverage, Data Failure, Poor Voice Quality and you are also able to select how often an issue happens: Once, Seldom, Often, and Always. Along with the report, your GPS coordinates will be sent to our AT&T Network Operations Center for evaluation. The application is available free of charge for iPhone users. The information you provide is extremely valuable and will be used to enhance our network. Please keep in mind that a technician will not be contacting you directly.

If the problem persists, due to the nature of the issue and constraints of e-mail, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500 from a phone other than your wireless phone to allow for proper troubleshooting. You can also visit our online Tech Chat which is available 8:00am to 11:00pm EST Monday thru Friday and 9:00am to 9:00pm EST Saturday. I have provided steps for accessing the online chat below:

1. Go to www.att.com/wireless
    2. Select the "Forums" link from the "Support" tab
    3. The customer will need to register for the forums if they have not registered before.
    4. Enter user name and password
    5. Click the "Technical Support Chat" under the Live Chat group

Mr. Txxxxx, I hope that the information provided has been helpful and has resolved all of your questions. Should you have additional concerns or questions about this issue please reply to this email. If you need to contact us again regarding a new issue please send us another email via the contact link through your online account. Again, my name is Felicia Mansfield, and I thank you for being a valued AT&T customer for the past several years. We will do our best to ensure that your wireless experience is a success.

I encourage you to visit our web site (www.att.com/wireless) often to view current and previous monthly statements, make payments and to shop for new product and service offerings.

Sincerely,

Felicia Mansfield
    AT&T
    Online Customer Care Professional

Help AT&T improve our service to you! Please complete our short survey about your e-mail Customer Service experience. Click on:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/support...16&state=promptVote&id=okFM6765***14194912***

The information provided in this e-mail is intended for the view and use of the authorized AT&T subscriber only. Content may not be shared or relied upon by third parties. AT&T, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to amend, modify or replace the written content of this message to correct or update answers provided to Subscriber. No term of Subscriber's Customer Service Agreement is altered, waived, or modified by this message unless expressly agreed by an authorized AT&T representative.

(c) 2010 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other AT&T marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.

2. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

wow thats terrible.

So has everyone gone to there itunes account and updated there iphone to 4.0:rolleyes:

3. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

not so unbelievable.....AT&T is carrying water for Apple...everyone knows it's the iPhone that has trouble keeping a signal...none of AT&T's other devices experience dropped calls like the iPhone in NY or SF

4. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

It looks like she was very thorough in providing an explanation for the reasons.

Whats the problem?

If her response was not sufficient, contact her and follow up as she states or escalate the inquiry to someone higher up.

Another option:

Cancel your AT&T service then, if it is a problem. Verizon works very well in NYC. I had them for 9 yrs before migrating to an iPhone with AT&T.

or

The iPhone is NOT the end all. Try out some of the other smart phones available.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What's so unbelievable?

What, exactly, did you want to hear?

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I thought the email from Felicia was very professional and did her best to help you. Not sure what you expected, but it certainly wasn't the worst response that I have ever seen and heard.

Bottom line however, it may be time for you to look into a different service provider or phone. There is no sense in staying with either if you are not getting good reception.

7. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

wait you think telling him to make sure he has the latest iphone OS 4.0 that was recently released is acceptable? they should know what OS is the current release and when the next one is available.

8. 184550 Guest

Hope you weren't planning to sue, as your poll is based on that belief, as you've violated the portion quoted above. Thanks for playing.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

:eek: Wow, egg on my face. Agree that they should know what the latest OS is.

10. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

The person should reply and say they tried upgrading to iphone 4 and now their phone is bricked lol. Tell AT&T they owe him a new iphone.:D

11. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

last time i checked it's all att's fault. dont side with apple just cause you want to have butt sex with steve. you should be contacting apple and should know att cant do anything about the fact that the iphone has the ********* antenna known to man. also do you really expect an att person to know what's the most up to date software for a phone thats not made by att? jezz. if Verizon gets the iphone (its not) these threads would be 20 times worse since att is breaking it ass to make the iphone look good.

12. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Wireless signal strength is one of Apple's weakest areas in my experience across a range of their products. Not saying that AT&T aren't shoddy, I've no idea about that side of things.

13. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

he could have typed that in himself when he pasted the email....

14. scott99 macrumors 6502a

AT&T really is brutal in NYC and NJ (especially Jersey City). It really is a shame, I love the gadget, don't love the phone, at least all the time. Luckily, where I live, it works very well. Everywhere else in NY & NJ, very unpredictable. I hear it's brutal in San Francisco and LA as well.

15. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

and they could have given him a great solution to fix his problem and he could have rewrote the whole email to trick us.

16. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I'd usually agree with you but after using my Nexus One I can't wait to get back to apple reception.

17. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

You threw an iPhone in a river???

MONSTER, Why not just cause a forest fire while your at it you EARTH HARMING JERK

18. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

they have a return policy, if their service sucks in your area then return the phone and go to another provider. Easy peasy.

19. batman75 macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear that. AT&Ts coverage is known to be weak in NY and CA. In Florida where I live it is excellent.

Quite frankly I wouldn't get too excited about a Verizon iPhone. I have use my iPhone in several countries, and I have found 3G broadband performance to be by far the best on AT&T. They have done a terrific job engineering the network for the traffic. I have a feeling it will take others a while to catch up, particularly if many users switch causing a surge in traffic.

My guess is NYC users are going to be let down by both carriers.

20. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Besides that error in OS, what do you expect her to do? Go out and personally fix and install new cell towers so you can have reliable service? That response is all that she probably could say. What did you expect?

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You’re not one of the tree fart guys are you?;)

22. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

They are trying...maybe !

Very professional response..but, if they are using customers to spot trouble areas, then they are going to fail. They should be using their own personnel with sophisticated equipment to detect weak areas....or, they already know and they either can't or won't upgrade their network.

23. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

No, we are the "River First" group, Trees come second

24. oxdtown macrumors member

they told me to go to the nearest att store to get os 4.0 about a week ago when i complained about poor service

25. Bonn89 macrumors newbie

Here's the best part, though: AT&T's "Mark the Spot" app doesn't work on OS 4 Beta 4. It crashes upon launch. :rolleyes: