AT&T Rollover data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AWallen90, Dec 8, 2011.

1. AWallen90, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

AWallen90 macrumors 6502

Why does Rollover data not exist? With rollover data and being able to share a 2GB data plan we would be set. My bill has 5 iPhones each with 200MB of data, we are usually around wifi. so we pay $75 for data when the value of that data is really only $12.50 if you go on the 2GB rate.

Who else thinks data is ridiculous, does anyone see any solutions coming? Verizon has announced a shared data but hasn't given a bunch of details.

EDIT:
    If we got rollover data what about the possibility of using rollover minutes towards data? Prepaid T-Mobile plans offer say 1000 units that can be towards a minute of calling or a MB of data.

2. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Most likely they will try to compete with verizons plan...I don't think verizon released specifics on it yet. Rollover might be a good option since they already do rollover minutes. I like the idea of a shared data plan.

3. matt90036 macrumors regular

you need to learn that big corporations are there to squeeze every penny out of you and maximize their profits. and the role of the US government is not for the people and by the people but for the corporations and by the corporations. if you want a roll over data then you need to move to places where the government actually cares about its citizens, like the EU.

4. AWallen90 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am currently pursuing a Masters in Business Administration so I am being "brainwashed" into thinking profits are the most important thing. As a broke college student I understand how ridiculous that is. EU government in the US would be nice.

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Profit and greed drive innovation. As evil as it may be, the technology and medicine we have today would be nothing if it weren't for greed.

6. AWallen90 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree with this to a point. Some medicines are never developed because companies could not get an exclusive patent. And Apple's yearly updates adding a few features here and there. I agree greed drives innovation, but it stalls it a bit as well.

7. matt90036 macrumors regular

now since you got the subject going here we go.
    yes profits are important and perhaps most important but only and ONLY in the long term. what US corporations are doing is called monkey greed. they maximize profits in the short term, maybe 10 years or so but fail to look in the long term. for example AT&T and Verizon have clearly monopoly over the US. They have maximized their profits but like monkeys fail to see what is going to happen in the long term. They have staggered the innovation to maximize profits and the end result is that US got slower internet connection than Romania and other Easter European countries which are part of EU. For example in Poland I can get 3G 4Gb data plan for 15USD, in US AT&T offers me 200mb for $15. And the end result is that US in recession. Now what do you think happens when basic infrastructure is below other countries? all of the suddent innovation fails, no more new businesses and loss of jobs. Now with people growing poorer they will cut down on services such as data plans, which will screw over ATTs income in the long term unless of course they get a bail out. thanks to the corruption in US govt and the way corporations have monopolized the country we see a fast decline of US standard of living. perhaps not too long from now US will be comparable to Mexico. Good thing I am a dual citizen and can work anywhere in EU.

8. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Well said Sir, I aplaud you:)

9. lordofthereef, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I, too, have thought about this. Here is the thing. The vast majority of people using an iPhone AT&T) get it subsidized. That means AT&T needs a way to make back the money they are paying towards the phone you have. There is no way in hell they are going to allow you to drop that $15 plan per line. If they did, they'd have to extend the contract longer and raise the ETF.

What I cannot understand is why they don't allow dropping the data plan, or give you a lower monthly rate, if you pay for the handset in full. I know TMO allows this (maybe others do too?) and that seems to make sense to me. That said, we have TMO floundering and ATT rolling in the cash, so that likely has everything to do with it.

I am the first one to admit that $15 for 200mb of data is an absurd price, but they need to make the money back somehow, and I certainly understand that too. For this reason, I doubt we will ever see a family data model, at least not any time soon. I blame Americans for their lust for "cheap" phones. If we were all willing to just pay the dang retail price for the phone and actually keep the phone for more than a year, things would be wonderful. But no, we want a $200 phone and a monthly plan under $50 that somehow also keeps the company who is providing us service in business.

I CAN see a rollover plan that is a per line rollover, and I do see that as being very valuable, and something ATT can legitimately afford to do. You have a 2GB plan but average 1.5GB a month. You go on a trip at the end of the year where your only internet access is your smartphone. You now have 6GB+ to use safely for that month. It also gives you a cushion for the off month that you happen to use something like 2.1GB.

----------

I agree with a lot of what you had to say. What is VERY important to understand though, is the US is a different beast when it comes to providing mobile voice and data service. Why? Because it's HUGE! Take Romania, for example. It's about the size of Michigan. Poland? About the size of New Mexico. So, we have covered 2 of the 50 states (and there are a handful of states that are far bigger than that). Look at it another way... we have covered about 7% of the entire US map with just those two states. It's quite a bit more expensive to set up shop in the USA as a provider than it is in any single country in Europe.

To touch a little bit on what I said before, but responding directly to your post this time, do any of the carriers providing the data you quoted subsidize the cost of the phone in Poland/Romania, or do you end up having to pay full retail for an unlocked phone? This plays a big roll as well. I know a lot of european countries require phones be unlocked and off contract.

Also, I am not sure that you meant to imply this, but based on how you worded that last sentence, it seems you are saying that the US is in a recession due to cellular service providers?

10. icewing macrumors 6502

They've got the game rigged to maximize their profits. Yes, some of what we pay in a data plan does pay for the subsidy, infrastructure, salaries, upgrades, etc., but look at the numbers. I got a 3G subsidized 3 1/2 years ago, and my wife still has it. Using the $25/month plan, we get $25 * 42 months = $1,050. The subsidy was made back long ago...

QFT

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Yes and look what has happened to the EU. Their big social experiment is a giant failure or which they now will have to suffer riots and upheaval to get everyone back where the real economy can support them. The government is not the answer, they are the cause.:mad:

12. icewing macrumors 6502

The difference between corporations and governments: corporations build stuff, hoping that people want to buy it. People trade their money for the stuff. Governments determine what stuff they think you need, then decide how much of your money they are going to take in return.

Annndd they both tell you that they have your best interests at heart.

13. matt90036 macrumors regular

yet funny now it is, that standard of living in Europe is much higher than in US. you don't see half as many people on the streets, everywhere in my country there are freeways being built, we got much cheaper Internet and not the mention health care. I hope when I come back US can have such failure.

14. edk99 macrumors 6502a

A few years ago you had NO choice but to have a $30 data plan. Now you have a choice of a $15 and $25 plan and people still bitch that data is not cheaper. Both my in-laws are very happy with their $15 200mb plan. They use around 75-125mb a month and are glad to pay $15 instead of $25 or $30.

If ATT wanted to maximize profits they would of kept one data plan and charged you $30+ for it.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Not necessarily. Getting people to opt for the 200mb plan relieves a TON of potential strain on the network. Less strain means less money dumped into keeping the network running smoothly. They ARE maximizing profits by getting people like your in-laws, who happily pay the $15 200mb plan to watch their cellular data usage. Sure, they could have just offered the 2GB plan and even kept it at $30, but they are gaining the MOST from the $15 200mb plan when you look at the big picture.

16. matt90036, Dec 8, 2011

matt90036 macrumors regular

Yup, in Poland you get a phone for 33c with a 2 year contract.

And in the last example I didn't say that AT&T caused recession in the entire US.

----------

yup, I'm going to bitch especially that my sister got an offer in Europe for $15 for 4000mb per month and I'm coming back to the states and I'm getting 200mb for the same price. yes, there is a lot to bitch about.

17. lordofthereef, Dec 8, 2011

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

40 gigs? :eek:

I am also curious, with these plans, do you also get free roaming throughout Europe? SO I get a plan in Romania. Can I go visit Hungary, and then take a trip to the UK and all is good in terms of roaming data/voice/text? I can speak for Hungary, as that is where I am from. Long story short, you step outside of Hungary and you get overages. THat's about like restricting your footprint to the US stae of Indiana. Go outside of IN, pay up!

18. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

actuatly it's 39.0625 :D

19. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

20. matt90036 macrumors regular

lol, sorry for the typo, it's late at night here 4 gigs not 40.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Touche! :eek:

22. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

exactly. The cost of the infrastructure just to cover 99% of Americans has to be so expensive. Not to mention Alaska, which is about 2.3 times larger than texas. (though I am sure most of that land doesn't have service.

Each cellphone tower reaches, what? Ten miles at most? Unless there are buildings/mountains in the way?

23. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Really? All parts of Europe are much higher than all of the US? :rolleyes:

I find that pretty funny.

24. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Ya they get three months of Vacation a year, and I havent taken a vacation in three years :eek:

25. Grimsrud macrumors member

I would actually pay AT&T a bit more if they'd give out rollover data. I have an obscene amount of rollover minutes that I'll never use thanks to my A-List and unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling.