AT&T Sanctioned Unlock - Beware of the 5.1.1 update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jarron, May 29, 2012.

?

Did you lose your AT&T given factory unlock after updating?

1. Yes, I Did.

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. No, I did not

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  1. jarron macrumors newbie

Self explained: Did AT&T unlock your iPhone? Beware of updates, they might just kill your unlock. From what info I've gathered from the AT&T reps these are the facts.

1. Many people have lost their unlocks
    2. Call AT&T again, give them your old case #/IMEI, and they'll re-unlock your phone.

Overall, this happened to me after updating to to 5.1.1 from 5.0.1, beware, and call to make sure your unlock is still active (1-800-MY-APPLE). I called AT&T, and was lucky enough to be understood and the re-unlocking process was seamless, my phone is now re-unlocked.

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Odd. Normally if a carrier unlocks the phone, it will remain unlocked permanently.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Indeed, this should never happen.

4. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Unlocks are permanent AT&T stated that once unlocked it stays that way

5. Guled macrumors newbie

This is weird. Does it mean feature updates will lock the Iphone? Scary to think of it

6. completing macrumors member

You don't lose your unlock, but your unlock data might be deleted during the restore process.

You can re-activate by syncing with iTunes using a non-AT&T sim.

7. larock macrumors member

I just updated to 5.1.1 and popped my T-Mo sim in, worked just fine. rejailbroke without issues also.

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That's true.

With iOS 5.0+ you should be able to just put a non-AT&T SIM in and reactivate it over Wi-Fi.

9. jarron thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to update:

AT&T told me this only happens to a very few amount of people, for most Do not be worried, update as usual. But, if you're like me and experience coverage going away for brief moments, and strange messages in iTunes (such as none at all, but your iPhone becoming unlocked. AKA: "Congrats, your iPhone has been unlocked".), call APPLE just to make sure your device is really unlocked.

What happened to me was that I my unlock went through on AT&T's side, but not on Apple's side. Apple got the request, and when they do that they automatically open up an unlocking window for a brief period of time, but if they decide not to grant you and unlock (Say, they phone was reported lost or stolen, or was just replaced by Apple and has no carrier history tied to the IMEI) Then they close that window and you are not granted the unlock. I just so happened to grab activation tickets while that window was open, and now that it is closed I can no longer get them, leaving my phone in a locked state.

TBH, I have no idea what I just said, but that is what the AT&T rep told me.

Hope this helps anyone who comes across this issue.

PS:

If you experience this issue, taking it to the Apple store will not help. You have to call AT&T.

10. coreypdx macrumors member

I'm about to buy a used iPhone 4 but have the owner unlock it for me. Will I have any problems losing its unlock data once I receive it? Any suggestions on how best to avoid this problem?

11. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If it's unlocked through the carrier, it will permanently stay unlocked, even if you restore, it will remain unlocked. If you update it, it will remain unlocked. If it was jailbroken and ultrasn0w was used to unlock it then you will lose the unlock if you restore it.

12. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I updated my carrier unlocked 4S and carrier unlocked 4; both of them are still unlocked. Technically neither of my phones were actually eligible, so if AT&T RWD revoking unlocks, they should have revoked mine.