AT&T says watch will work if it's unpaired from the phone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iMas70, Sep 22, 2017.

1. iMas70 macrumors 65816

Myself like many others had a problem setting up the LTE Apple Watch today. I spoke with a few reps that finally got it taken care of. The watch has it's own number (not the phone's number). But it is synced to the iPhone. The reps I spoke with told me the watch can live in the wild if it's totally unpaired from the phone. I'd be able to make and receive calls, it has it's own data plan (250 MB) etc... Was anyone else told about this?

2. macnmac macrumors regular

3. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

While this might technically be possible, the Apple Watch will not be usable when unpaired from an iPhone, due to how the software returns to setup/pairing mode.

You would need to leave it paired but use it without the phone, I suppose.

4. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

5. dolphin2421 macrumors regular

dolphin2421

If I had $10 for every bit of misinformation I received from ATT personnel today... Just sayin'

6. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Wow. That just amazes me. How do you sell a product that you know nothing about? They're on commission, they should do 'some' research.

7. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

Actually - a guy from verizon told me the same thing today. Of course, he had also insisted I had to be sent a new sim card to insert - so I took very little of what he had to say to heart.

8. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

$10.00 to add the watch.

You think that's bad, I lost my grandfathered LTE UDP and ended up with a 3 Mbps Choice plan based on bad info from someone at AT&T - https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ed-data-plan-not-happy.2071091/#post-25098229

9. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Customer service reps are usually pretty useless about new Apple products during new product launches, especially when those reps aren't even with Apple.

The representative probably meant that you can use the watch when it's disconnected from your iPhone, as is obvious and the whole reason of LTE. WatchOS will not function unless paired with an iPhone and initially set up, therefore, it is impossible to unpair your watch and use it normally.

As far as the number thing, that is correct - the Apple Watch does have its own number through the carrier but each carrier has their own version of a system that "syncs" the numbers between the two and makes it appear as though the Apple Watch has the same number as your iPhone.