AT&T sent me an extra iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by musclerotton, Oct 24, 2012.

1. musclerotton macrumors newbie

hey guys, so heres my story. i tried to preorder the iPhone 5 from apple online but it wasn't accepting my info (turned out to be using wrong billing zip since we move so much). So we called in the order and they sent an email which ended up asking for the same set of info - phone #, social, billing zip. Well, that was no good since at the time we didn't know what was wrong with the info we were inputting. Anyway, we went into the AT&T store and spent an hour and a half with the guy calling other people. Finally we figure out its the billing zip, so the guy places the order for us in the store. Alright, then we get an email saying the order was placed, however it was to our old address which we specifically asked to be changed. So we call from home again, they "cancel" the order and place a new one to our current address. Well, they didnt really cancel it because i ended up receiving a second iPhone a week after the first. Now, my account was never charged twice. They actually canceled this order but the shipment must have already been in process. On top of this btw, we had them credit our account for $59 for BOTH times they messed up on this. So we got about $119 toward the new phone.

Alright, the point? What can I do with this extra phone? Will AT&T ever find out? I can deny I ever received it. Is it restricted to my phone number? Will they know if someone else in my family switches over to it? If I sell it online, will it be considered stolen and not accepted?

Let me know what you think. But lets not get into morality here. And worse case scenario, I'll keep it in the box and see if AT&T calls about it. Im not just sending it back.

GO.

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Most likely the "dead AT&T" phone won't activate through Apple, even of you switch the SIM card

3. ProudLoz macrumors regular

Return it, the last thing you need is $650 "mysteriously" charged on your credit/debit card.

Another thing you can do, is call Customer Service and ask to speak to a manager for advice. For all you know, they might just let you keep it. :p

4. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

just do the right thing and return it.. your dad/mom would be happy ;)

and as the above said.. last thing you want is a random charge hahah

5. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't have made a thread about it to put you on the spot light, would've just acted like nothing happened, be low key and sell the bitch. AT&T messed up, they are not going to mysteriously charge you unless they make a mass inventory count which I highly doubt.

6. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

Karma. That's all I'm going to say about this.

7. SwingOnThis macrumors regular

Karma is something that only applies if you believe in reincarnation. And since reincarnation is ********, karma does not exist.

8. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I would be too worried that at some point they would realize their mistake and charge you. It's possible they won't but not worth a $600 deduction one day IMO.

9. SoundWagon macrumors member

SoundWagon

Check the laws in your state, it might be under "unsolicited goods". Most of the states laws are written so that you cannot be charged for things that you did not order, so unscrupulous businesses cannot send things to you and then charge you subsequently.

Although, this is kind of a gray area so I'm not sure if this would apply or not.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

How did you receive it, they just left it on the doorstep?

11. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

12. nchesher macrumors newbie

I love these "will you guys give me your blessing for me to steal" threads.

13. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I'd say wait a few weeks or a month and sell it then.

Give them some time to figure out their mistake.

14. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

You might get billed so make sure you know your right

15. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

He didn't steal though. Did you read the post? He cancelled the order because it was the wrong zip code and the guy must have placed it twice or something and he didn't get charged for the second one. Since it's already at his house legally they cannot charge him.

16. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502

17. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Nothing good is ever free. And nothing free is ever good.

I'm sure their accounting will rectify this problem and charge you for the full price of the second phone.
    Its best that you take it back, and get a receipt or other proof of your return just in case they do want to charge you anyway.

18. andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

This happened to me w amazon twice now. I Put an oder in, canceled it a few hours later for whatever reason, and two days later (due to prime membership) I get the items in the mail and was not charged for them. One item I returned immediately to ups because I was home and refused it; the other item (pair of $200 headphones), was just left on the porch. I didn't have time for almost a month to go return, so it just sat on my front desk. Was never charged either. Eventually another order came in and I just handed the box back to UPS.

I usually get emails when a return is made, I got one for the first box. But I never got anything for that second; which makes me think the UPS guy might have taken it, OR it simply fell through the cracks of the amazon shipment system.

My opinion - keep it in a drawer for two months unopened. And if they don't give you a call or charge, keep it. ATT is one of the most despicable companies I've ever dealt with. I wouldn't feel bad for them.

19. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I don't see how they can charge you for something you didn't order. Like an above poster said, there's laws against this.

If they ever contact you asking for either the phone or payment, just deny it. As long as you didn't sign for it on the UPS guys little tablet thingy, you're straight.

And ignore all these do-gooders telling you to return it. AT&T shafts millions of people every year with over priced data plans, underwhelming coverage, data throttling etc etc etc. ***** em and make a profit at their expense.

20. dominion155 macrumors member

That happened to me with my i5 but after two weeks I got charged for 2nd. So I returned it.

21. O0O macrumors newbie

Don't worry they'll get you. Expect a charge if you decide to keep it.

22. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

In the end, it doesn't matter what these boards may say. It all boils down to your conscience and a potential second billing/charge.

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

What's funny to me (and honestly couldn't care less what people do like erratikmind said) is that people are super quick to jump on an opportunity to steal or cheat (yes, it is what you're doing) a company, however also get highly offended if someone tries to do it to them. eBy scams, CL scams, what have you, if you're the one being wronged its' the worst thing in the world, but if you're "screwing the man" then hey, they deserve it anyway, right?

Actually, let me back up for a minute because I in fact do care, because it effects me. You think that losses like this are somehow just absorbed into the company and they don't care? Service costs increase because of things like this; CS quality goes down, and people with legitimate problems have a harder time because companies have less relaxed policies due to fraud. So yes, have fun with your free phone, but remember exactly who screwed who here when you have problems in the future.

24. msaftw macrumors member

I don't see how AT&T can come back on you, because you should have a return/cancellation receipt for that phone.