AT&T sent me an IPhone 5 by mistake

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twoiphone5s, Sep 24, 2012.

1. twoiphone5s macrumors newbie

I preordered a black iPhone 16g on the Friday, Sept 14th, and was told via email that it'll be here in 14 to 21 business days. Last Friday, I thought I'd try my luck the AT&T store on my way in to work on Friday morning, and was in luck, they had the phone in stock, and I could cancel my preorder and walk out with the phone that morning. Did it and spent Friday enjoying the phone.

Well, this morning comes around (Monday) and FedEx shows up at my door with a package. Yep, Black Iphone 5 16g. My credit card was charged the $214 twice, so I now need to decide what to do with the extra phone, and looking here for a little advice...I could return it to AT&T store and get my $214 refunded, or flip it on ebay. Thoughts?

2. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

There might be a risk that AT&T will come back and charge the full unsubsidized price for the second phone unless you return it.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

There might be a risk??? :D

Of course you will charged full price for the second phone. Return the darn thing. :mad:

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This mainly. It has happened before and the result ends up being what the above posted. They will get their $$ back.

5. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

6. Juicy111 macrumors member

When they find out, and they most likely will, they will either charge you for the full , rest amount of the phone, or possibly add it to a new line. So stuck with another 2 year contract.

7. ScousePete macrumors member

Send it to that family in California where the mother was crying because the FedEx box was empty.

8. jgag macrumors member

call at&t and ask them to verify the order was cancelled. Ask them to send you a box with a prepaid overnight shipping label that can be tracked. They obviously screwed up but you need to CYA.

9. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Depends on how much they're going for on eBay!

10. zaxdude macrumors regular

I saw that story. Insane. She had the tears flowing for a phone no doubt. Granted it was for a son's birthday present, but it wasn't a surprise birthday present; he knew he was getting it. They even made it out to seem as though it was the carrier (Verizon I believe) or Apple's fault. They totally lost an opportunity to teach their son a life lesson that sometimes crap just happens.

I know I'd be disappointed if it happened to me (and this kind of stuff usually does!), but I wouldn't be crying about it like it was my grandmother's prized silver that had been handed down through 5 generations.