AT&T September Bill with iPhone 5 - Overcharged?

pbjr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Hello,

I just got my bill today. It seemed high just for having the $36 upgrade fee. After looking closer, I noticed all the Other Fees and Taxes were much higher than the previous month. More than double! The only difference from my previous month was the upgrade fee. Is it just me? I'm going to contact AT&T. Just wanted to give a heads up if it is not just me.

Fed. Service Charge $1.62 -> $3.48
MTA Telecom Surchage $0.30 -> $0.83
State Telecom Excise $1.23 -> $3.40
County District Tax $0.16 -> $0.44
County Telecom Tax $1.72 -> $4.76
NY State Telecom Tax $1.72 -> $4.76

Does having LTE result in a higher tax surcharge??

Charadis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
Blast. Thanks for the heads up, I just noticed this. Up, too, from Arkansas.

-C

Last edited by a moderator:

bluer101

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Same thing happened to me too. When I called to get the fees waved I brought up that my bill was $95 more than normal. I said I understand the $72 for 2 phone upgrades but where does the other $23 come from. They told me taxes. I made sure I got those credited also. I think I'm paying $4 more than our normal bill for this one time then after that it will go back to normal. The bill always stays within $1-2 dollars.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The higher your bill is the more the surcharges, state and federal taxes will be.
So just by adding the $36 charge to your account your bill can go up another $4-5 cause of that.
Remove that and the additinal taxes will go with it.
When AT&T removed my upgrade charge my bill for that month went down $39.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
The higher your bill is the more the surcharges, state and federal taxes will be.
So just by adding the $36 charge to your account your bill can go up another $4-5 cause of that.
Remove that and the additinal taxes will go with it.
When AT&T removed my upgrade charge my bill for that month went down $39.
I had no upgrade charge and my taxes went up. It looks like the taxes aren't prorated even thought the phone and data charges are. Who can figure that out? I'm hoping that next month the charges will be back to normal. :cool:

Copefree

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I switched from AT&T to Verizon for the IP5.

I added my line to my fiances account, added my iPad 3 to it, and assumes liability of the account (formally) so the account is now in my name.

With prorated charges for part of September, the activation charges for the two new devices (my IP5 and iPad), and paying for November, my bill due on 11/1 is $302.00. And that's including my 13% company discount. Sticker shock at first, but WELL worth it in the end. Saving over $60/mo. by doing this when I get my first "normal" bill.

iEric4

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
I recently upgraded 2 lines on my account, $36 upgrade fee each as u know, and noticed my bill went up over $80 from the previous with no other changes. luckily for me, I have a FAN discount which includes no upgrade fees. Got that $80 something credited right back. I'm not sure y those taxes r so much higher with the upgrade fees :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.