AT&T September Bill with iPhone 5 - Overcharged?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pbjr, Oct 11, 2012.

1. pbjr macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just got my bill today. It seemed high just for having the $36 upgrade fee. After looking closer, I noticed all the Other Fees and Taxes were much higher than the previous month. More than double! The only difference from my previous month was the upgrade fee. Is it just me? I'm going to contact AT&T. Just wanted to give a heads up if it is not just me.

Fed. Service Charge $1.62 -> $3.48
    MTA Telecom Surchage $0.30 -> $0.83
    State Telecom Excise $1.23 -> $3.40
    County District Tax $0.16 -> $0.44
    County Telecom Tax $1.72 -> $4.76
    NY State Telecom Tax $1.72 -> $4.76

Does having LTE result in a higher tax surcharge??

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Same here. All the other fees were up. NY also. :mad:

3. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

Yikes. Wonder if that's just NY or other areas too.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I had the same experience with my 4S. I believe it had something to do with the pro-rating of the previous month.

5. Charadis, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012

Charadis macrumors 6502a

Blast. Thanks for the heads up, I just noticed this. Up, too, from Arkansas.

-C

6. bluer101 macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me too. When I called to get the fees waved I brought up that my bill was $95 more than normal. I said I understand the $72 for 2 phone upgrades but where does the other $23 come from. They told me taxes. I made sure I got those credited also. I think I'm paying $4 more than our normal bill for this one time then after that it will go back to normal. The bill always stays within $1-2 dollars.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The higher your bill is the more the surcharges, state and federal taxes will be.
    So just by adding the $36 charge to your account your bill can go up another $4-5 cause of that.
    Remove that and the additinal taxes will go with it.
    When AT&T removed my upgrade charge my bill for that month went down $39.

8. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Makes me so glad I pay $20 a month. Jesus I'd kill someone if my bill was $100+ !

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

I had no upgrade charge and my taxes went up. It looks like the taxes aren't prorated even thought the phone and data charges are. Who can figure that out? I'm hoping that next month the charges will be back to normal. :cool:

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your bill was exactly the same as last months and only the taxes went up?
    Weird.

11. Copefree macrumors member

I switched from AT&T to Verizon for the IP5.

I added my line to my fiances account, added my iPad 3 to it, and assumes liability of the account (formally) so the account is now in my name.

With prorated charges for part of September, the activation charges for the two new devices (my IP5 and iPad), and paying for November, my bill due on 11/1 is $302.00. And that's including my 13% company discount. Sticker shock at first, but WELL worth it in the end. Saving over $60/mo. by doing this when I get my first "normal" bill.

12. iEric4 macrumors member

I recently upgraded 2 lines on my account, $36 upgrade fee each as u know, and noticed my bill went up over $80 from the previous with no other changes. luckily for me, I have a FAN discount which includes no upgrade fees. Got that $80 something credited right back. I'm not sure y those taxes r so much higher with the upgrade fees :rolleyes: