AT&T Shared Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PoppaKap, Sep 10, 2014.

1. PoppaKap macrumors regular

My line is not eligible for an upgrade but another line on my account is eligible. On the ATT website, I see the option to share upgrades across the account. Does anyone know if Apple.com allows ATT customers to use shared upgrades? I don't see the function but maybe I'm missing it.

2. veryangrybirds macrumors regular

had the same question and got an answer from att

called att about this. they said you can get the next plan on that particular line. once you can get the phone you can go to an att store or call customer service to make the switch of phones and numbers. they just want you to realize that you will now have 2 next payments and the actual phones and numbers you use them on does not matter. you can interchange them.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

With AT&T and any gsm carrier its easy and simple.
    All you do is order the phone under that line that is upgrade ready.
    And when it comes in you just take your sim out and stick it inside the new iphone.
    Done.
    It doesnt matter what line you use the phone, you just used the other lines upgrade that's all.

4. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Your answer is one phone call away.

5. marddin macrumors 6502

I have a question about this very straight forward answer. I have a dummy line that I will use as an upgrade swap for my phone. When I pre-order and use the dummy line phone number, will I not have to select a data plan? If so, I can just call AT&T and remove the plan from the dummy line and do the sim switch as you mention, right? I keep reading AT&T saying "You're upgrading your phone, not your plan" so I just wanted to confirm.

Thanks!

6. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

Doesnt matter what line you activate the phone on. As long as you select the right line to get the discount.

I do this all the time and steal the kids upgrades to get the new phones if mine isnt up and just put my sim in and give them my last gen phone.

7. PoppaKap thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. I've done this multiple times. The only requirement is that the dummy line account is not currently associated with the IMEI of a phone that requires data.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that's what I did last year.
    I had to select a data plan for the dummy line.
    When it came in I called AT&T and told them I'm still using an old flip phone for that line and to remove the data plan since I'm using the new iphone on another line.
    You just gotta give them the IMEI of the flip phone to enter in their system and they will remove it.

9. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

I do this every year too... but I was told once (a few years ago) that to get my new phone activated properly I need to bring it into the AT&T store. I do see them switching out the card, but they also seem to do stuff in the computer. Is this extra step not necessary? Generally what this means for me is that I can pre-order with Apple & have them deliver it but I still end up it the AT&T store that day.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

All this can be done over the phone also so there's no real need to go to an actual store.

11. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Lol, used to do this before switching to Next and steal my parents' upgrades. :)

12. anek007 macrumors regular

I just checked my availability and I seen this Shared upgrade too. I have unlimited data so I will avoid using this shared upgrade. I dont want get tricked by att and lose my unlimited. I will just log into my other line and upgrade through the phone that is available.

13. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

False, I swap phones all the time and ATT has no clue of such. Sims easily allow you to do everything on your own.

14. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

So you JUST need to switch the sim from my old phone to my new phone (which will be purchased by signing a new contract on my son's phone)? I won't even have to call anyone to do anything in the computer? My new phone (with the old chip) will just automatically work and nothing needs to happen with my son's phone??

15. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

As long as the sim is the same size sim and on the same carrier, just swap sims. Doesnt even need to be on the same acct.
    Thats why you see soo many phones for sale on release day for a profit. People open new lines or use upgrades and sell the phones for a rediculous profit.

Thats why i get pissed at ATT for charging a $36 upgrade fee when I get a new phone from Apple and swap the sim myself without calling them. They did no work to justify another $36 so I always get credited back.

16. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

Per http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/specs/ it is not the same SIM. Am I looking at the wrong thing? Does this mean that everyone will need to go to a store to transfer service??

Attached Files:

17. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

NanoSIM: 5, 5s, 6, 6+
    MicroSIM: 4, 4S

18. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

Thanks!

19. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

Per AT&T

Attached Files:

20. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

Yes, Sim is smaller from 5+

Again, I have done this multiple multiple times. Its a non issue. The phone will come with an activated sim already for the line it was for. If the same size sim, just swap it to the other phone and yours into this phone.

If you need a sim for the other phone to swap lines if not the same sim, ATT gives them for free. Dont go to a reseller though as they are known to try and charge you for sims.
    I just swapped from my 5 that I sold to my 4s until the 6 comes out. I was at Sams club and noticed they had a kiosk there for cell service. I asked about a sim while I was there as ATT was not open yet and surprisingly they only charged me a penny for the sim. not sure why they even charged me at that point, but yes a penny . lol
    I have seen some places charge $15 for sims though.

21. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I have both 5 and 5s. The SIM card is the same size (and yes, I've swapped SIMs between them). It got smaller from 4S to 5 but the Nano-SIM is used on the iPhone 5, 5s, 5c, iPad mini, mini Retina, Air and now, according to Apple, the same size Nano-SIM will be used on the 6 and 6 Plus. Besides, it's certainly not the first time that an AT&T CSR has been wrong.

The changes were from 2G/3G/3GS (2FF Mini-SIM) to 4/4S (3FF micro-SIM) to 5/5c/5s/6/6+ (4FF Nano-SIM).

http://store.apple.com/us/iphone/family/iphone/compare

22. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

I used my mom's upgrade to buy the iPhone 6, which I plan to use for my line. AT&T keeps tleling me I will need to call before I activate the phone so that it gets switched to my number. Does this mean when I call AT&T tomorrow they are just going to tell me to take the SIM out of the 6 and put my 5s SIM in it? Or are they able to reprogram it without me swapping any SIMs?

23. Lego44 macrumors newbie

I have a Galaxy S4 which I am desperate to stop using. I hate the UI. My upgrade won't be due until August 2015. My wife's line is upgradable now but doesn't have a data plan. I want to use her upgrade. After reading this thread, for S and Gs I went to the local AT&T store to ask about buying an iPhone6 64G from Apple.com adding the requisite data plan then canceling the data plan after I receive the phone. They told me that that was a loop hole in their system and that has since been closed. That they would not cancel the unusable data plan. They were trying to sell me a new service with the NEXT plan, which is something I do not want to do. Has anyone had any similar experiences or can confirm that the "loop hole" has been closed?

24. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I do this every year. My daughter's phone is always 2 years old, I use her upgrade and buy the new phone, then hand her my 1 year old phone and get ATT to switch the numbers.

This way I always have an upgrade available every year.

----------

No, it's not as simple as switching the sim cards. They will use your IMEI number (go to settings, general, about and scroll down) to program the right number to the right phone. And yep, they can do this over the phone.

25. pdxmatts, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

I ordered the i6 on my sons line on Next, his was still under contract for another year with a 4S.

Used his line to go off contract with Next (Can pay off whenever I want).
    Got the i6 and it came with a nano sim.
    Activated phone with the new sim with my sons phone number (set up will ask you if you want to use this phone number), it deactivated his 4S sim.
    Took the new activated nano sim for him and put it in my i5.
    Took the nano sim from my i5 and put it in the new i6.
    Done, working, no need to call ATT for anything.

Took his 4S in to ATT for $200 trade in promotion and used it towards my bill.