AT&T signal bar stuck at one (1) bar after iOS 4.3.2 jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by profinite, Apr 26, 2011.

1. profinite, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

profinite macrumors member

Yesterday, I jailbroke my iPhone 4 with PwnageTool 4.3.2 which installed iOS 4.3.2.

Now, the AT&T signal bar is stuck at one (1) bar even where I know there should be 4 or 5 bars.
    So, this morning, I started from scratch and re-jailbroke my iPhone 4. Still the AT&T signal bar remains at one (1) bar.

Has anyone been experiencing this phenomenon? If so, any remedy for it?

:cool:

2. apollostern macrumors newbie

Yes, same here. I rebooted the phone ("slide to turn off") and the bars behaved normal again.

3. profinite thread starter macrumors member

apollostern - I wish I had the same result as yours. I, too, rebooted my iPhone 4. But, the AT&T signal bar still remains at one (1) bar. There has to be another way to get the bars back. I also wonder if my iPhone is now less sensitive to receive signal, which would be bad. :(

4. huskerchad macrumors regular

Are you preserving an older baseband such as 1.59.00?

5. psywzrd, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

psywzrd macrumors 68030

You guys need to install ultrasn0w to fix the problem with the signal strength. The only problem with that is that it will screw up your visual voicemail and MMS. That can usually be fixed by popping the sim card out and putting it back in but that's a real pain and the problem can come back at any time. I don't know why the dev team has been unable to fix that issue with ultrasn0w - it's been a problem for a quite a while.

6. profinite thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much, psywzrd, for your Ultrasn0w tip. I was not aware of it at all. So, I really appreciate your help.

Also, I didn't know about the Visual Voicemail and MMS issues, either. So, if they crop up, I will try your SIM tip.

Thanks again! :)

7. profinite thread starter macrumors member

Upon installing the latest version of Ultrasn0w, the AT&T signal bars are back to normal. :)

8. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

Thanks for the update profinite. Can you confirm if it's affected your MMS and VVM?

9. tangokim macrumors member

mms n vm still f up on ultrasn0w1.2.2...

10. profinite thread starter macrumors member

qckslvrsiete - My Visual Voicemail is working. I have not texted MMS yet, and I will post what happens when I do.

11. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I had this issue when going from iOS 4.1 to the iOS 4.3 betas using PwnageTool. There's an issue with the 01.59.00 baseband on iOS 4.3+, so you can either update your baseband, or install the ultrasn0w fix that somebody had mentioned earlier.

12. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

Ok so here what I found, after installing ultrasnow, it fixes the signal issue of course, mms work but every now n then if I turn off the phone n turn back on, mms won't work. How do I know this? If u turn off ur phone n turn it back on, go to setting, if u can see ur carrier then mms is not working, just restart the phone one more time, after it comes back on, go back to setting n u shouldn't see ur carrier anymore, try to send and mms now, it should works. That's how it is for me anyway

13. forcetactic macrumors 6502

I would just downgrade to 4.2.1 if you have SHSH

14. mrJnC macrumors regular

For me Ultrasn0w will cause the iPhone 4 to fail to acknowledge new VVM if the phone is rebooted (or turned off). Popping the sim card can temporarily restore it, but only until the next reboot.

No problems accessing old vvm. The problem is if you get a new message.

If ultrasn0w is removed, then the iPhone responds to new vvm messages. But then you have the 1 bar bug.

For folks who believe they don't have any problems with Ultrasn0w 1.2.2 on 4.3.2:
    1) reboot your phone
    2) call your phone
    3) leave a message
    4) look for a visual voicemail alert

15. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

16. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

I restart my phone every few days to keep it running snappy, don't use vvm so don't really care about it, as long as my mms works. For other ppl either update the bb or don't update to 4.3

17. twsaving macrumors newbie

I am so glad I read this forum. I thought I was the only sucker with this issue. The truth is, if the look of one signal bar doesn't bother you and you use official carrier, don't install ultrasn0w.

For whatever reason, our brilliant dev team can't figure out a way for ultrasn0w, bb 01.59, and AT&T to work nicely. The problem of losing vvm is not unique to iOS 4.3.2. I personally has experiencef the problem in the previous iOS version with ultrasn0w installed.

18. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

And I too was waiting to see if folks were experiencing problems with 4.3.2 and ultrasn0w, in terms of MMS and VM. Too bad it's still showing its ugly head. Oh well... I guess I'll stick with 4.2.1 and my 1.59.0 baseband for the foreseeable future.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the devs can unlock us via the NCK brute force method some day in the future. Enough with maintaining legacy basebands!

19. jcoffey784 macrumors newbie

i just did the pwnage tool jailbreak. I am having the same issue (att, 4.3.2, 1 bar) but i cannot make calls or send texts. i have rebooted and not had any luck. will popping the sim card out help any?

20. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

did you install ultrasnow?

21. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

Did you have pwnage tool hacktivate your phone? I can't remember the exact steps, but if you use pwnage tool but are on AT&T, you have to uncheck the box that asks if you want pwnage tool to activate (hacktivate) your phone. If you leave this box checked, your phone won't get activated on ATT.

I know you have to be in expert mode to do this, I just don't remember exactly where the setting is. I do know you can access it from the expert mode screen where you also have the option of pre-loading cydia packages.

22. jlluna macrumors 6502

It is best to just stay on 4.2.1. I have done a 4.3.2 Pwnage Tool jailbreak on three different phones with the same results, mms not working, and visual mail not working after ultrasn0w install. Just to buggy still. Unless you just want to deal with the 1 bar issue and don't install ultrasn0w. And it is a good idea to restart your iphone every so often. So when new towers goes up the phone locates them correctly.

23. mota macrumors newbie

try jailbreaking with redsnow, it worked for me and my bars are now showing

24. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

Got to say, 4.3.2 is good, the ultrasnow prob is not as bad as it sounds, whenever i restart, just have to go to setting n see if the carrier show up, if it does, just restart again immediately, check setting again to make sure it's gone away and u should be good to go. And if u can deal with the cosmetic issue of one bar, ur good to go too.

25. NocturnalEVO macrumors member

I have the same problem on 4.3.2 jailbroken with no bars showing.

I am officially on AT&T, and preserved my baseband just in case I need it unlocked for any reason if I travel overseas.

Would upgrading my baseband solve the problem?

Also, how can I upgrade my baseband? When I update through iTunes, it still gives me 1.59.00