AT&T - SIM to Micro Sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThunderApple, Nov 4, 2011.

1. ThunderApple, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

ThunderApple macrumors 6502

Just bought an iPhone 4 from my friend. I'm currently running on a 3GS.

Of course, the 3GS has a SIM while the 4 requires a Micro Sim.

Am I able to simply go into a AT&T store and request that they just transfer all my data plans and such into a Micro Sim? How does this work?

EDIT: Sorry guys! I meant to post this in the Help section. Admins if you can, please move it there.
    Thank You!

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes. Go into an AT&T corp store and say you're moving from a 3GS to the iphone4 and they'll switch you over. Take both phones. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

I did this after getting my 4S and giving my 4 to a family member who had been using a 3GS.

You'll need to be the account owner or an authorized retail user (setup by acct owner on the ATT website)

3. ThunderApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Here's the thing though. The iPhone is a custom Red and White.

It's a authentic black one but my friend had a custom color conversion on it.

Would they say anything?

4. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

5. steph280 macrumors member

I have used that SIM cutter many times and it works great! If needed, you can tape it back and still use in your 3GS.

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

AT&T won't care, it doesn't affect how it's used. The only issue you'd have there is if you wanted Apple to service the phone, they might refuse based on the alteration.

7. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I cut mine with a box cutter, but I am sure AT&T will swap it out for you.

8. ThunderApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone! I think I'll save the hassle of buying those cutters and just take it to a AT&T store. :)

9. driftwoodtea macrumors member

Wow, those are some fancy look cutters. You can always just use a pair of scissors. That's what I did after Three, my mobile company tried to charge me £5 for a micro sim.

Instructions can be found here - http://blog.23x.net/466/make-your-own-micro-sim.html

A sim only mobile company here, giffgaff, also have instructions on how to adapt one of their sims to fit a micro card slot.

10. dave006 macrumors 68020

Just don't let them charge you for the new replacement Micro-SIM.

Some retail locations want to charge you $20 for a new Mini-SIM or Micro-SIM. Also, make sure that you don't get a new 2 year contract added while in the store. :eek: Sometimes it is not better to go to the store.

Your data plan and other information is not transferred to your replacement Micro-SIM. The update is to your account to add the IMEI of the iPhone 4 and the ICCID of the new Micro-SIM.

Do you currently have the iPhone Unlimited Data plan? They will want to transfer you to the new iPhone 4S Unlimited Data plan. Again, just make sure that you understand any changes they make to your account. :eek:

Dave

11. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

That's another way to do it :). But knowing me I will mess it up somehow. So I just bought the cutter, it came with 2 adapters too.

12. ThunderApple thread starter macrumors 6502

I went and they charged me $20. I was fine with that. I honestly didn't want to have to order a cutter and wait for that to ship to me. I've been waiting to get my phone for a month so paying a bit of extra isn't going to kill me.

Thanks everyone for their help!