AT&T Store Tried to Take Away 2GB Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brc1, Sep 21, 2012.

1. brc1 macrumors newbie

I picked up an iPhone 5 today in an AT&T store this morning. I was very surprised that the in-store rep told me I HAD to switch my data plan to the 3GB plan since they "don't offer my 2GB plan anymore". When I pressed the issue further, I discovered it was something the manager was making every store employee do, so I just let them do want they wanted because I knew better than they did. Not only did I know if you pre-ordered you get to keep your old data plan, but I knew that AT&T Support could put the plan back on in case of store error.

Sure enough, I called up AT&T support after leaving and they told me that shouldn't have happened. They sent me confirmation my 2GB data plan would be restored within a few hours.

Very surprised that they would try to mess with the tiered data users, I think we're the last ones AT&T needs to worry about since we pay overages. I can understand if they wanted to pull a 'Verizon' on their unlimited data users but I think there's no distinction in their eyes between what kind of old plan you have. In which case, that's a good sign for unlimited users: I would think that if a rouge AT&T store conned an unlimited data user out of their plan, it would be just as easy to get it restored after a quick phone call.

2. mzd macrumors 6502a

odd, the guy at my AT&T store just asked me if i was happy with my 2GB data and that was the end of it. glad you got it sorted!

3. alent1234 macrumors 603

was it a real AT&T store or authorized retailer?

4. brc1 thread starter macrumors newbie

It was a corporate store, which makes it all the more perplexing why this occurred.