AT&T Subscription Scam

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cynicalone, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I received my AT&T Bill today and found subscription charges that I did not sign up for.

Screen Shot 2012-03-19 at 4.48.03 PM.png

I called AT&T and they admitted they knew about the problem. But didn't have a way to stop it from happening. They can remove the subscriptions and credit your account. But that is about it.

I had to talk to a supervisor to get my bill credited for the charges.

So for anyone on AT&T you might want to take a closer look at your AT&T bill. I have my account pretty damn secure and don't use my number for anything that would seem suspicious.

2. Trash Can macrumors member

FWIW, VZW can put a block on all 3rd party "services" and their related (unauthorized) charges. I put one one my account as a precaution after reading about it here a month or so ago. I'm surprised AT&T can't do the same.

3. Cynicalone thread starter macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Good point I think that is a parental control option. I will call them and try to put a purchase block on both my phone lines.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This happened to me a couple months back on one of the lines on our plan. I didn't catch it until I had paid for 2-3 months. ATT happily credited me the money and put a block on the line for such services for free. I have no use for any of those monthly texting services, EVER.

5. slick316 macrumors 6502

This happened to me twice already. The first time I just got a credit. When it happened again, they offered to put a "Purchase Blocker" on my account, essentially its a parental control feature and its free. We'll see how this works out but so far its been annoying to see these stupid charges on my account.

6. Cynicalone thread starter macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I just got off the phone with AT&T and they where happy to put a purchase block on both my phone lines for free.

Hopefully this solves the problem.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

This happens until you tell the carrier to block 3rd party purchases. I think the rules should be changed to not allow them at all without vocal or written confirmation from the account owner. The carriers LOVE the 3rd party stuff cause they get a percentage of the amount, so there's not a lot of incentive for them to stop the practice.

8. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Happened to both of my lines last year.
    Use the parental block feature to make sure they can't do that crap again.
    AT&T was cool and refunded the charges.

9. wbarkley macrumors newbie

I just had ATT reverse around $80 on my ATT family plan of 5 lines. This is crazy. It should be illegal what these companies are doing. Definitely sign up for parental controls. Its free.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

AT&T allows you to self-manage the types of texts you receive from their website at: http://mymessages.wireless.att.com

This type of nonsense appears to be happening more often. However, using texting for anything commercial opens you up to this sort of behavior no differently than giving your e-mail address.