Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colleyvillesoon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Bought my phone from AT&T on Saturday. The phone doesnt connect flush where the white meets the chrome, and one side has a sharp lip on it.

AT&T says all exchanges are handled at Apple, but Apple says they will give me a "refurb" phone. I say "I don't want a refurb phone i want a new phone." Apple says then I have to go to AT&T for that.

What gives?

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Bought my phone from AT&T on Saturday. The phone doesnt connect flush where the white meets the chrome, and one side has a sharp lip on it.

AT&T says all exchanges are handled at Apple, but Apple says they will give me a "refurb" phone. I say "I don't want a refurb phone i want a new phone." Apple says then I have to go to AT&T for that.

What gives?
Grow some balls and start yelling and demand a new phone.

Aiphanes

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
South Texas
Just return the phone at ATT and then go to Apple and get a new phone!

Its that simple...you are within the 30 day return policy...

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Just return the phone at ATT and then go to Apple and get a new phone!

Its that simple...you are within the 30 day return policy...

I would fight to remove that 10% restocking fee though...it's stupid to pay for it.

colleyvillesoon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
How can they give you a referb? There hasn't been time for returns and rconditioning.

That's what I was thinking. But my Genius Bar appointment isn't until 7:45 at night, and I doubt there will be any 16GB whites left that left.

Plus, there have been stories of replacements being in a little whit box that only holds the phone. I have a hard time believing that they are unboxing iphone's, keeping the accessories in the box and transferring the phone to a new box.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
....Plus, there have been stories of replacements being in a little whit box that only holds the phone. I have a hard time believing that they are unboxing iphone's, keeping the accessories in the box and transferring the phone to a new box.

Apple just orders a bunch of new "replacement ready" iPhones in bulk packing (it cost several $s to make the fancy box and put the accessories in it. It will likely be about 90 days or more before there will be true refurbs.

dlamin517

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Just like julien says. Be firm but polite. yelling never goes well in retail stores. and ask for a manager. sometimes regular employees cant do anything about certain problems.

themagicman00

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
FYI, I returned an black iPhone on saturday that I purchased at an Apple store in Atlantic City (went to play some bones for the weekend and got me an iPhone) anyway, returned it on saturday cause I had synch problems...got 100% cash back. No 10% restocking fee.

Chrisrokc

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
Today I went to the Apple store with a problem with my Black 16GB 3G iPhone. Bring your receipt, box, ect. with the phone. They will then swap it out with another one. Most Apple stores do not have phones only to swap. Instead they have a surplus of iPhones that are not for sell. They will swap it out. If you have a FAN number they will call and ask for you to remove it from the account right before.

You then can go back to the AT&T store and put the FAN discount code back on.

colleyvillesoon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Update:

Took the FAN # off my account and went in to Apple in North Park Mall in Dallas (they had a "Sorry, we don't have an Iphoen 3G's today) and told them about my issue with the sharp edge. They exchanged it no questions ask, took about 10 min. They have a huge stash of Iphone's only in small white boxes they use for exchanges.

Funny side story the employee told me. The first person in line on iday waited overnight, just to be told she was a business customer and wasn't elligble to upgrade. He said they had signs that said this, as well as told people in line. She was LIVID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.