AT&T Temporarily Unthrottled?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pdr13, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdr13 macrumors member

I have noticed that my wireless network speeds have temporarily improved.

I am not sure if this is due to the FCC complaint that I filed against AT&T, or the small claims court decision that was ruled against AT&T.

I am sure that this is not a permanent fixture for those of us who still retain an unlimited plan; however, it does give me an opportunity to jam a stick in their spokes.

Thus far this month, I have downloaded 43.6 GB and counting.

Take that Ma Bell.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

3. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

How the heck do you download 43 GB?The original unlimited data plan actually only guaranteed 5GB but never acted on it.Sadly now its 3GB and a throttle :mad:

4. pdr13 thread starter macrumors member

That makes sense. I'm sure you're right.

----------

Just subscribe to NetFlix and stream movies 24 hours per day (whether you are watching them or not).

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

WTF?
    43GB's of data?
    Im surprised they havent just cancelled your line yet.

6. pdr13 thread starter macrumors member

That's because I have a signed 2-year unlimited contract.

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

That may be, but you are the prime example of why we have throttled data in the first place.

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

It's not the only reason, but people like this are definitely part of the problem. Blatant abuse of the system is never a good thing. You're purposely trying to cause problems with the system, even though it's not benefiting you in any way. Way to go. :rolleyes:

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know but even if you do have a contract if they want they can still terminate your account and offcourse you wont have to pay an ETF.
    I saw it happen before but using up that much data every month might land you in a situation like that.
    Not saying that its right for them to cancel you but if the carrier chooses to its within their right to discontinue service.

10. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I love the, "I usually only use 3GB of data, but if they're going to throttle me I'll keep everything on 24/7 and use as much as I can! That will show them who's boss!" mentality that is fairly prevalent on these boards.

All you're doing is making it that much EASIER for AT&T to do whatever they want.

Not that they ever would, since it's clear from many of the posts (not just the OP) that those throttled would rather sit around instead of actually doing something productive about it.... like using as much data as possible or continuing to ask where/ when the class action suit will be and where they can sign up.

The only possible recourse, as has been shown to work, is small claims court... but it won't for you. Heck, AT&T would LOVE for someone like you to take them to court since it'd be so easy for them to prove that you're abusing the system.

11. drkryn macrumors member

[​IMG]

12. specify macrumors regular

Is that out of spite?

13. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I agree with all of this except for the whole class action suit thing. There's a clause in their contract that would prevent us from ever filing one against them.

14. pdr13 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

These don't have to be class-action lawsuits. They can be individual lawsuits as already demonstrated.

15. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

That was partially my point... it's well known and has been heavily documented that users can not join together against AT&T with a class action lawsuit, yet it's still constantly brought up in any of the threads - even after others say that it's not possible.

16. dmusicman385 macrumors regular

People who do this are exactly why they throttle. Thanks for helping ruin it for the rest of the customers.

17. crc4 macrumors member

Guys like you screw it up for the rest of us, thanks :eek:

18. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

WTF do you people do with your phones?

My wife and I are both 4s users and have been with iPhones for several years and are both personal and business users of our devices on a shared unlimited data plan.

I use mine to stream Pandora during the day, a ton of GPS use on the road and of course emails from 4 different accounts including my work. My wife is the same except she is not a GPS user really and no longer streams from her phone but now her hard wired PC/cable modem at work.

That said, WTF do you people who exceed 3mb do with your phones? I use the hell out of mine and have yet to break 2mb in data.

19. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I downloaded 6GB in about 4 hours last weekend using iTunes Match. 43GB would be very easy to do.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Typo? I could stream pandora for 30 minutes (probably less) and go past 2mb. Assuming you meant GB?

21. nitemare macrumors regular

shared unlimited data plan? who do you have a shared unlimited data plan with? no carrier that i know of offers one yet. VZW has been talking about offering a shared data plan but hasn't released any details about one let alone about it being unlimited

22. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I used iTunes Match last weekend just to see if I could get throttled the last three days of my billing cycle. I downloaded the Complete Led Zeppelin on Friday night (1.93 GB) and then deleted it. Downloaded it again and a few more albums for a total just under 6GB. Never heard from AT&T and my new months began last Sunday. I'm not sure why my graph shows no usage prior to last month but I am in the last two months of my two year contract.

Attached Files:

23. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Good thing we don't have behavior reports we do with credit.

OP certainly would be singing a different tune and not resorting to childish bush league tactics.

24. pdqgp, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Typo...I meant 2GB

Maybe I'm referencing it incorrectly. I'm on an unlimited data plan with two phones sharing the minutes. I didn't realize until reading it closer that data is calculated per phone and we are simply sharing minutes . Either way, hers and mine have unlimited data and neither phone has gone above 2GB with our use.

There might be the key. I don't use Cloud for anything other than find my iphone nor do we use match. I prefer iTunes on my PC and I don't buy any music through Apple, never will. I get mine though much cheaper sources.

[​IMG]

25. pdr13 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

48.2 GB and counting (LOL) !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.