AT&T Texting Plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saccento, Sep 12, 2012.

1. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

So AT&T only offers unlimited or pay per text texting options?! What a joke! I thought they used to offer 3 or 4 different plans?

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Yeah it is a total joke. They got rid of their other texting plans a year ago or so. Luckily we have iMessage and 3rd party texting options if you do not want to pay for unlimited

3. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento

I was planning to get rid of unlimited but also wanted to get maybe a 500 text plan for texts I send to non iPhone users but I guess I'll go the 3rd party route. But AT&T really does things that make you wanna switch carriers

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

iMessage of course alleviates this if messaging other Apple OS users. (But uses data from your data plan).

Others on this thread have also recommended Google's free texting & voice options, although I've never tried them myself.

5. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I would dump it; but of course it's bundled with UL mobile to mobile calling which is tied to my minutes plan.

They always get you somehow.

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

When you have teenagers you'll appreciate unlimited texting plan.

7. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

You can purchase a local area code number for $0.99 on Text plus. Which it doesn't really matter, but it makes it easier for people to remember.

8. 617aircav Suspended

Now that's dumb.

9. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I was just using the pay per use. I never paid more than $5 a month. Now I'm on mobile share and have unlimited on all lines. I agree it's bad that they dropped the 200 and 1000 plans.

10. mrstefani macrumors newbie

spoken by someone with no teenagers.:rolleyes:

11. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento

They should have some sort of in between

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The $5 ATT 200 plan is nice when practically everyone you know has an iPhone using imessage. Which is probably why they got rid of it.

13. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Totally.

The perfect teenager plane would be unlimited text, data, and no voice. I remember when I got the first bill where my daughter went over 3000 texts. We were on the family plan the next day. That was a few years ago, btw.

14. aneftp macrumors 68040

Yep, all the carriers are moving towards the unlimited texting model. Verizon doesn't give new family customers a choice either. Sprint doesn't give you a choice either.

It's ironic how a few years ago, texting was a huge profit margin for carriers as they pushed texting tiered plans. Now with third party apps, they basically shove unlimited texting or zero texting option.

15. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento

Exactly! And I know I'll be texting around that per month with friends without iOS devices

16. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

I luckly still have 200 txt for $5.00. I dont text that much, but do use it.

17. djarpit macrumors regular

whats app and google voice

i pay 0 for texting services

18. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento

Okay guys so what are the top 3rd party apps to use?

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

WhatsApp (but security issues, and forces others to have the same app)

BeeJiveIM (not free) (or other AIM client) Can add mobile numbers to buddy list, and SMS back and forth. You would want one that supports Push.
    ^--my preferred before I added the little texting account when ATT announced it was drying up.

GTalk client (BeeJive has a free one http://www.beejive.com/iphone/gtalk/) (Google Voice) etc. GMail accounts are pretty ubiquitous, can chat back and forth to mobile. http://www.google.com/mobile/sms/voice/ Pretty much if a person doesn't have an iPhone for iMessage, they are going to have an Android with a GMail account tied to it. So this should work out really well in theory.

20. TWD98j macrumors regular

And that's EXACTLY why I still keep my 1500 texts for $15/month plan. And, with the 22% FAN discount on my bill that I get from my employer, that basically covers the texting each month.

That said, I really only use 300-500 texts/month because MOST of who I text with have iDevices, so iMessage has become a rather large part of life for me.

But I still keep the grandfathered texting plan, as a just-in-caser.