AT&T throttle question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imlovinit, Apr 9, 2013.

1. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

I just got my first warning text from AT&T that said if I go over 5GB on my 4G LTE this month or in the future it will reduce my speed. I'm not worried been on an unlimited data plan forever it seems and typically never go more than 3GB but I am curious..if they throttle speeds what does that typically mean? Reduced by half the average speed or something?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. imlovinit thread starter macrumors 6502

imlovinit

Really:eek: That's insane.

4. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

No. You get throttled down to about ~0.5 mbps on LTE. About the speed of Sprint's 3G (when it works :) )

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Throttling is what drove me to switch to their new shared plans.

I'd rather get charged for the extra GB when I go over than deal with those speeds.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Throttled to Edge speeds. Still should be sufficient for everything except streaming.

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Sufficient for everything except anything they used to reach the throttle limit.

8. imlovinit thread starter macrumors 6502

imlovinit

That's truly ridiculous. I'm paying good money for my data to get potentially throttled *that* badly? I understand if I was one of those constantly doing that but I'm not.

Ok, Yeah, I think that may be the better idea to pay for the extra gig than get throttled to death by speed. Something to think about but, for now, I guess I'll have to limit myself greatly and turn on the wifi more often again. Such a shame it's like going back to 3G and having to use wifi constantly because that was faster.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I wouldn't give up the "unlimited" plan until you get throttled AND you decide that throttling is just so bad, you'd really rather pay the extra for more GBs. Once you give up "unlimited," you can't go back.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

For those complaining, have you actually experienced said throttle or are you just outraged by the responses of other responders who may or may not have ever been throttled themselves?

At the end of the day, this throttled plan is already the cheapest
    Plan, unless you have a bunch of lines on your account that don't use much data anyway.

11. Applejuiced, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you have usable and decent speed wifi why not use it?
    You're making it sound like its such a terrible thing to turn on wifi.

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd really think about that. Currently, you're paying $30 for essentially 5GB of full speed LTE data (before being throttled) and if you switch you'll be paying $50 for the same amount. That's an extra $240 a year plus whatever overage charges you'll incur automatically if you go even a kilobyte over your limit. Personally, I think its a terrible decision to give up unlimited unless your employer pays your bill.

By the way, I've reached 6GB on AT&T without being throttled. I think whatever method they use to monitor usage isn't terribly effective or consistent. I got that same message and kept on going.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes. It was useless for anything but email.

0.2 Mbits isn't even good for web browsing. It's just too frustrating.

And yes, I know we used to live with those speeds in the past, but web pages have changed and grown. If I could search for pages from the year 2004 then I'm sure that speed would be sufficient. But it's 2013 and web sites are bigger. That's not gonna do it anymore.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Err. I wouldn't consider you as one of the complainers, but thanks for the response.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well then let me clarify: I'm one of the complainers.

I decided to give AT&T more money each month because throttling was un-usable to me. So they won.

16. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

My coworker was throttled and the speed was like dial up. I'm still on a unlimited plan and I connect to wifi at home so I only average about 3gigs a month.

17. imlovinit thread starter macrumors 6502

imlovinit

Yeah I'd rather have my unlimited because it is a good deal BUT if the event ever happens where I am seriously throttled and cant ever get back to decent speeds ..yeah that tier plan would be something i'd consider as an option depending on my need. But again, I usually don't use *that* much data so I'm not at all worried. This is more of a curious question of *what if*.

I have a problem with wifi because while ok depending where i use it ..sometimes turning on data is just faster and more reliable. When I was on my 3G, wifi was always the option I used whenever possible just because 3G in my area was just awful.

It hasn't happened yet and I just wanted to know what would happen speed wise. I'm not making any decisions about changing plans or anything at all. I'm just gonna chill back on my phone data usage for a bit and see how it goes.

Thanks to you all for your inputs!

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

In not sure if this is unclear to you, but just to clarify, when you are throttled, it all resets at the beginning of your next billing cycle. You said "can't ever get back to decent speed", so just making sure you aren't confused about that.

Also, a "trick" that I have read, if you have access to a non iPhone lte phone is swapping sims, calling up att, swapping the data plan to "smartphone lte", swapping back to iPhone, and that should reset your throttle. While I e never tried this, I can say that when I swap devices mid cycle, and go through the trouble of adding the "correct" data plan to said device, my data use refreshes for the month.

19. imlovinit thread starter macrumors 6502

imlovinit

Totally make sense now. So guess I shouldn't really care unless I'm constantly getting throttled? Thanks for the info.

20. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

I'll share my 2 cents because I am throttled every month around the 20-22nd and my billing cycle resets on the 8th. I go through about 10-15GB a month, even while throttled.

1. You can be throttled after 5Gb of data usage. They only send a warning text the first time now. After that, you're notified through your AT&T account messages.

2. If/when you are throttled depends on the usage of the cell tower you are connected to. Meaning that even though you're over 5GB used, you won't always be throttled if there is sufficient bandwidth on the tower. If the tower starts getting more traffic, you'll start to be throttled.

3. LTE is throttled to .5Gbps and 4G is throttled to .1Gbps

4. .5Gbps on LTE is still sufficient for video streaming, music streaming, games, and web. How do you think I get to 15GB each month? (I watch Twit.tv netcasts on my phone while at work)

5. Your 5GB "limit" resets the day after your billing cycle ends. Mine ends on the 7th so on the 8th of every month, I'm 100% throttle free.

The only time I've noticed that I'm throttled is when I try to download apps over LTE. But I don't always do that so it doesn't bother me. My advice: stick with the Unlimited. You'll never get it back if you switch off to a tiered plan.

21. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

you waste 5GB of data a month?!? Do you have no WIFI at home?

I barely waste 3GB a month. and i'm a heavy data user.

22. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

If someone were to stream music all day at work, watch videos during their train commute to/ from work, or any number of other options where WiFi isn't always available, they would quickly go over 5GB.

23. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

Who's to say the data is wasted? Just because you don't use that much doesn't mean it's a waste for us to use that much. I have Wifi at home, but Wifi at work blocks streaming services so I have to use LTE.

And 3GB a month is not heavy data. Below is just the start of "heavy data usage":

[​IMG]

I've peaked at 29GB in March last year and did 15GB on my most recent billing cycle that isn't showing up yet.

24. imlovinit thread starter macrumors 6502

imlovinit

This is extremely helpful information. Thanks for breaking it down like that and how it works with your usage.

Its pretty easy. I have wifi @ home but often not at home when i'm using my data. Nor am I usually in a place w/free wifi available.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Correct. Tats why I have such difficulty understanding people who would rather pay more for the base 5gb and then an additional $10/gb on top of that. But, to each their own. Priorities vary vastly, as is evidence with responses in this thread. :)