AT&T throttled 3G vs EDGE speed question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chiawen.yang, Feb 19, 2012.

1. chiawen.yang macrumors member

Has anyone that've been throttled on the AT&T unlimited data plan tried a speed test on EDGE? I'm wondering if the data speed on a throttled 3G is slower than EDGE. I haven't been throttled yet so I can't do the test myself.

Non-throttled I get about 0.1Mbits per second on EDGE and 5Mbits per second on 3G in West Austin Texas.

2. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Just wondering why does it matter?

I would assume they wouldn't throttle edge.... Of course I really have no clue but if yours is that slow what would be the point?

Did you also really just join to ask that question? Maybe calling AT&T and asking them would be a better option as you are most likely going to receive several different and not accurate answers here.

3. chiawen.yang thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If throttled 3G is slower than EDGE, switch off 3G and use EDGE. If you read my question, it's asking for real world data speeds; not calling AT&T asking what data speeds I'll get besides stock answers.

4. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

They are the same speed. I've already tried it, basically AT&T turns off your 3G and you run on edge even though it has 3G on the top.

5. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Curious here to how you know this. Or is it a best guess? EDGE in NoLa isn't bad, so if I get throttled it won't be much loss

7. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I turned 3G off and ran a speedtest on the edge network and got .10 download and with 3G on got the exact same speed on my 4S. I ran the test multiple times with the same result

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Thats really slow...

9. chiawen.yang thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the info.

10. Mhay23513 macrumors newbie

Don't do edge

Here's the thing AT&T doesn't turn off your 3G. If they did the phones would immediately identify that. All they are doing is capping our download speed. They seem to leave the upload alone that way you can send photos, send text and upload information with no problem. Receiving is where the problem occurs because they cropped the download.

To answer the question you are still better off on the 3G network. Because with edge you are not only limiting your download but also your upload so you are crippled all the way around the board.

11. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Well, I tried it. I'm a little surprised at the result.

EDGE is on top, 3G on the bottom.

[​IMG]

Note: These tests were done back to back, in the same place.

12. Mhay23513 macrumors newbie

Notice the upload. Ur better off the 3g route

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So a little better speed with edge but when it comes to upload 3G wins hands down on throttled lines.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

From what I have read, it makes no difference. Also, thinking logically, they wouldn't throttle 3G, they would just throttle data. That's what I would do.

15. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I've had it on EDGE since I posted the screenshot. It really doesn't feel any different to me either way. However, I'm not doing anything data intensive right now.

Since the throttling started I've "trained" myself to save any heavy data usage for wifi. You win AT&T :)

16. BiggAW macrumors 68020

EDGE is highly variable. In some places, I have had excellent results, where it will support normal smartphone usage 100%, other places not so much. It doesn't seem to ever work well when moving either. Also, the ping will probably be higher on EDGE than on 3G, even with throttling.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Although that test confirmed the speed throttle and speed likelyness, it does not confirm your statement. You can make 3G be throttled without having EDGE.

I know this is possible. But what you said was false. Which is why I asked you how you came to this conclusion.

I'll rebuttal, Tigo, a wireless carrier in many Central American countries has 3G set up up to 7.2Mb/s. However, the maximum speed their towers will allow every consumer 3G device (iPhone included) is 1Mb/s. Moreover, there are several data plans that allow users to pay for unlimited access with a throttle. In other words, after certain data limits (or caps) the speed drops from 1Mb/s down to 128 kb/s. in many of the places where there is 3G there are no EDGE or GPRS connections. So yor argument falls apart there.

AT&T and any other carrier can throttle their towers at will.

18. TSX, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

My edge and 3g download speeds were the same, trust me i was trying to get the best speed possible weather it was 3g or edge. ATT doesn't throttle their towers they input a code on your account (which i guess is tied to your sim) that cuts your speed down.

[​IMG]

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This still doesn't prove your statement that 3G is "off" and its EDGE speeds & connectivity. Remember, even throttled people can still do data+talk (albeit data will be slow) which means 3G is still in place. This means no EDGE connectivity (its one or the other but not both).

Your argument still keeps falling apart. What AT&T most likely did was set the system to limit the bandwidth on your line. Example, phone number (504)616-6050 will be limited to 128 kb/s after XYZ GB of data (also considering other considerations). That's the throttle.

20. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

You can use edge and talk at the same time, I didn't say you use edge and 3G at the same time what are you talking about.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No you can't. You can't do data + talk on EDGE or any other 2G tech.

22. zephxiii macrumors 6502

You are on 3G/HSPA with throttled throughput...and that is all that it is. They do not place you on "EDGE" network when you are throttled.

23. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Obviously, but this thread is debating whether it's better to be throttled on UMTS, or switch to EDGE.

24. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Well the obvious choice should be UMTS/HSPA for better latency.

25. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Depends on what you're doing. Pandora, for example, doesn't need low latency, but needs a certain amount of bandwidth. Web pages would be better off with lower latency.