AT&T: Throttling vs. Crippling

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zubins, Oct 3, 2012.

1. zubins macrumors newbie

i was able to consistently reach 25+mb when running the speed test app. Now that I have been "throttled" I am getting about .7mb consistently. I'm not a math guy but that is SUBSTANTIALLY less than before.

There HAS to be something that we can do about this, right? LTE is virtually useless when throttled. Or at least raise the speed when throttled.

Also, ATT needs to call throttling hat it really is: crippling.

2. articulatefool macrumors regular

0.7 Mbp/s is actually not bad at all for a throttle.

Try getting 0.06 Mbp/s throttles....

3. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

What's your data usage? I use my LTE a lot, and I barely have 500MB used. :\ Then again, I'm not streaming Pandora/Spotify or whatever the cool kids are listening to now-a-days.

4. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Basically AT&T has moved you back to 3G until the end of your account billing cycle. Nothing can be done as they are within their rights as per the contract.

Get mad as you wish but you need to pay for what you use or have your service crippled or throttled. This is really to stop people from using LTE to do senseless large downloads, like movies, that degrade the network for everyone.

5. articulatefool macrumors regular

Watching YouTube kills my data. LTE scales everything to high quality.

6. rsnc macrumors regular

wait..so throttling on lte is just dropping you down to 3g?

can anyone else verify this??

seems like its a no brainer to upgrade to an iphone 5 if you havent yet (and have unlimited)...you get the cap raised to 5g and throttling is now 3g?

i say no way...but what do i know..havent been throttled (yet) on the iphone 5.

7. mpossoff macrumors 68020

All lines in our family plan have never been throttled on the 4, 4S. 3 of the 4 lines use over 3GB/month. In fact just checked usage and one line is at over 3GB 15 days into the billing cycle.

I understand the need to throttle and can accept being cut down to speeds where I can still perform regular functions.

I would prefer more of data plans pricing based on speed.

Being throttled to where you're crippled that would piss me off.

8. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

what kind of 3g do you have? hahah att has moved him back to edge speeds. ;)

OP why are you so suprised? this has been going on for a while. it was a big deal a while ago when att was throttling 3g and lte devices at 2 gb... your lucky to get 5gb before they do now.

only solution is to switch to a tiered plan... if sprint has LTE where you live/will have it soon. you can switch to them.

i was able to trade my att unlimited data plan to a verizon user for his unlimited data plan. Posted an ad on craigslist. Verizon doesn't throttle 4g devices thankfully.. and i get to facetime over cellular.

9. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

That throttled LTE speed is better than what Sprint 3G users get on a regular basis

Lol

10. articulatefool macrumors regular

Edge is .2 Mbp/s... He is much higher than edge.

11. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

its must closer to edge speeds than atts 3 mbps 3g speeds..7+ hspa+ speeds

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, not at all. Throttling is an artificial traffic management rule placed against your account. It doesn't matter what network (EDGE, 3G, HSPA, LTE) you're connected to, you will get limited severely in speed.

13. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

It is ALL slow after you have used LTE! My error!

14. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

im not even being throttled and this is what im getting around here. anywhere between this and 1 Mbps. oh and cant even connect to LTE.

Attached Files:

15. james92se macrumors 6502a

EDGE is actually slower than that. Generally you'd be lucky to consistently get ~100 Kbps on EDGE. Sometimes I could touch 120-130 or so but rarely averaged much more than about 100.

Getting throttled to 400-700 Kbps on LTE actually isn't that bad considering how bad it COULD be. That should still be enough for basic web-surfing outside of streaming videos. You should even be able to still easily stream music with that. I was usually able to stream music on my EDGE connection just fine a lot of times.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

anything is useless throttled. Either don't go over 5gb or get off your umlimited data and pay a **** ton for 10gb