AT&T to add LTE to NYC area...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pilot1226, Dec 19, 2011.

1. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

When did Apple announce that the next generation iPhone would have LTE?

3. pilot1226 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Nowhere. This is rumored. But, the fact that AT&T is finally expanding LTE to the NYC area is pretty signficant. Verizon's had a stranglehold here for quite some time now. The more options (carriers) to choose from in a region, the better competition and service will be.

In terms of business perspective, LTE seems like a necessary upgrade to appear in the next phone because Apple has to compete with the constant influx of competitors that are already supporting the LTE speed. While I may argue that HSPA+ is perfectly acceptable for average users, it's a potential selling point for competitors if it's something that the iPhone just doesn't offer.

That being said, I remember the old Droid commercials attacking the iPhone from Verizon... "iDon't" etc... I think people are either going to BUY an iPhone, or something else. People seem to be hellbent one way or the other. You're not going to "convince" someone to not buy an iPhone or vice-versa.

4. bgtrack macrumors regular

bgtrack

With the amount of 4G phones out there I think that they will be putting out a 4G phone...it makes me angry that they flaunt the AT&T iPhone 4S as having new 4G speeds...the best I have gotten was 7.6 which is not nearly the 14.2 that LTE is.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

In many places AT&T's current offering does have 4G speeds, but people get wrapped around the axle about definitions of marketing terms so I'll just leave my generic comment as is. :)

6. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Anyone who doesn't believe the iPhone 5 will have LTE is simply foolish. Apple wouldn't be "dumb" enough to fall two years behind the competition.

EDIT: Unless it's their plan to lose millions of customer in one fell swoop.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

True. Plus, the new 28nm LTE chipsets will be coming out in 2012. They will reduce power consumption, allowing the iPhone 5 to adopt LTE without a significant drop in battery life. Apple held off on 4G in 2011 for the same reason that they held off on 3G back in 2007.

8. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Exactly on target.

9. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

LTE/4G would also enable streaming of any subscription apple tv service that is rumored going around.

10. pilot1226 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

The problem is going to be data usage.

If you're running around streaming a theoretical 10 MBPS down and 5 MBPS up (conservatively estimating), with a 2GB data plan, you're going to potentially hit your caps fast.

I hope, fingers crossed, that the carriers get out of this 2GB/4GB/etc data plan thing that they're doing and make it more reasonable, like 5/10/20 GB. Who knows.

15 years ago, look how big and expensive cell phones were (car phones wired into the trunk!), and how expensive it was to talk for a single minute. Now, talk and text are essentially dirt cheap. It's the data part that's expensive. Maybe this'll come down as time goes on.

11. solo118 macrumors 65816

I certainly hope so, because back in the day (well just a few years ago) Data was on the cheap side and now the tables have turned because so many people own smartphones. I personally have an unlimited grandfathered data plan with at&t so I do not think I will be switching carriers any time soon.

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

False. Apple purposely left UMTS chip out in 2007 because in reality iphone 2007 was a test product.

UMTS/3g had been around since very early 2000 in many parts of the world. cingular had 3g in the middle part.of 2004. So UMTS was already mature by 2007.

LTE is a different beast because it launched in the USA less than one year ago so noy as mature.