AT&T to Congress: "We.... set prices on a unilateral basis"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eezing, Jun 17, 2009.

1. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Hahahahahaha........ What a joke! Check out this article. It explains that At&t along with other carriers claim they don't "price fix" and that all their pricing decisions are based on a unilateral basis.

You gotta love lawyers. :)

2. superxero3 macrumors regular

3. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

If we don't have any other choices ...

----

Or, put another way:

Maybe one day, all the gas stations in your area will "coincidentally" start charging the same thing - 10 bucks a gallon. Then what? What are you gonna do? Not drive? Or suddenly becoming "willing to pay for it"?

4. superxero3 macrumors regular

no one forces to text message do they? we want a service, we will pay for it.

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

No one's forcing you to drive, right? If the oil companies started charging 10 bucks a gallon, I guess you'd just start walking to work.

No reason to regulate these industries. No reason at all. :rolleyes:

6. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

If congress gets their way through this, we'll end up paying the difference for it just on a different part of the bill.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Actually that's exactly what some did when it went to $4.00 a gallon. They walked, or took the bus, or train, or carpooled.

It also spurred interest in alternative technologies: plug-in electric cars, hydrogen fuel cells, ethanol. Technologies that continue to be looked into even after the price went back down, and may hopefully offer a choice to the gas pumps in a couple years.

There's a certain limit to what the market will bear. There are limits to even price gouging. At best the effects of gouging are only positive for the seller for a short period of time, before the market simply can't bear the hefty price and finds some way to adapt so that it spends less or makes do without, even if it takes time.

In any case, your analogy is not valid. Cell phones are not gasoline. People can (and shocker of shockers, actually do) get through life without the benefit of an iPhone. Some don't even use a cell phone at all.

You also do have a choice. Carriers are not fixing prices. If you want cheaper cell service, you go with Cricket, or MetroPCS, or T-Mobile or Sprint, which are offering lower price points than AT&T or Verizon are.

8. eezing thread starter macrumors 6502

eezing

uhhh..... I hope you do realize price fixing is illegal in the United States.

9. Eallan macrumors 6502

The anology is slightly faulty.

However, people can and will get through life without gasoline.

His point is fine, cell phone carriers and cable networks both have serious issues.

In my opinion none of these issues will be resolved as long as A) Taxpayer money keeps funding infrastructure and B) The carriers aren't "dumb pipes".

All our data access needs to be neutral dumb pipes.

10. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

People can (and shocker of shockers, actually do) get through life without the benefit of a car. :rolleyes:

So why regulate the oil companies, right?

And there's no limit to the price gouging when everyone is participating. Believe me - if there was some 'other' telco I could turn to (I'm in Canada man, we got it bad up here), I would.

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Amen.

12. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

It's not about what we are willing to pay, no one is arguing that it should be free. The issue here is whether a group of monopolies are colluding to set prices above a fair market value. There was a guy who did an analysis of how much texting would cost based on data usage. He did some calculation and showed that 2 GBs worth of text data would cost somewhere on the order of 2 million dollars. Texting is simply routed data, it should not have a significant cost difference over regular data.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

So we agree then! Glad you see it my way. :)

And since not everyone is, then there's no problem.

Sucks to be you I guess, but the OP's link has nothing to do with Canada.

14. eezing thread starter macrumors 6502

eezing

costs who?

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Wow man ... you kind of suck at this sort of thing it seems.

• We don't agree - I'm pro-regulation.
    • Everyone is particating - hence Congress getting involved.
    • Canada's pretty great - we just have some capitalistic leak-over from you Southerners (aka greedy telcos)

16. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

Costs the consumer. 2GB of data on ATT's side would cost almost nothing.

He clearly didn't read the book, "Monopolies for Dummies."

17. golden3159 macrumors member

More like an oligopoly, but yeah.

18. eezing thread starter macrumors 6502

eezing

Right

19. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

SMS to all your contacts: "STOP USING SMS FOR ONE DAY, ON JULY 30TH2009, RALLY TO PROTEST FOR UNILATERAL PRICING SCHEMES"

:confused: