AT&T to get first Gingerbread exclusive Android Phone? (Tegra 2 Phone)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aohus, Oct 12, 2010.

1. aohus macrumors 68000

So, its a fact that NVIDIA will be releasing their own SoC for ARM Cortex-A9 processors.

It is FACT that the Android Tegra 2 phone will be coming out. When? Who knows, but the best guess would be sometime in the first half of 2011. Both the NVIDIA CEO and Motorola CEO have confirmed its existence.

FYI, this is not 'just another android' phone. This would be the first true next-generation phone, as it will be utilizing dual core processor + Google's yet unseen Gingerbread Android OS. Currently, all phones, including the iP4, is Cortex-A8 based phone.

What changes will be seen?

- Better power management

- Complete Android UI and Marketplace overhaul

- Tegra 2 chip will allow 1080p HD processing, up to 2x faster web browsing and up to 5x faster gaming performance (think Epic Citadel running smooth on a 3.5 inch - 4.3 inch screen)

- Product lead for Android Andy Rubin has stated that Gingerbread OS will be focusing heavily on gaming. Also, we shouldn't forget that Google is working on a social networking service centered around gaming.

Concept Image of a Tegra 2 phone
    [​IMG]

Now, there's a tweet from reputable source that it maybe coming to AT&T. Is this AT&T's F U to Apple when it joins Verizon? Olympus could be the code-name for the Tegra2 phone, but its speculation at this point. If that is true, I'd be jealous that its not coming to Verizon. Anywho, thought I'd let ya'll AT&T subscribers know.

[​IMG]

2. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

nobody interested? seriously? if i were on AT&T i'd be overjoyed

3. stupidbeaner macrumors newbie

If im correct this is a IPHONE forum ! Not a Android forum . :mad:

4. stupidbeaner macrumors newbie

IPhone

If im correct this is a IPHONE forum ! Not a Android forum . :mad:

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Well, AT&T is just showing another proof that they are losing iphone exclusivity in US. Obviously, they want to shift focus from iOS and go to Window and ANDROID.

6. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

dude, its concrete fact that iPhone will be coming to Verizon sometime in 2011. There is no debate about it anymore. Its considered fact now.

7. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

That would be great! The best phone on AT&T other than the iPhone is the Captivate, so this would be a good competitor.

I don't believe the Tegra 2 processor part though. Tegra 2 is already more than two years old, and nVIDIA already announced the development of Tegra 4...

8. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

Its a fact that its a tegra SoC chip. Development for the Tegra 2 is undergoing, and its not that old. They skipped development of ARM Cortex-A8 based chips. Just because you hear about Tegra 4 doesn't mean its coming out within that year, FYI. Tegra 2 SoC is specifically designed for dual core processors (Cortex A9).

9. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Where is this "concrete fact"? Post a link.

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Fact? Please post a link that has been confirmed by apple or Verizon. That would be the only proof.

11. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

[​IMG]

12. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

really? same type rumors since '07...there's plenty of debate about it especially here on MR...but I digress...if in fact this Android device does come to AT&T I'd try it..."concrete fact"? more like a jello fact IMO

13. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

why would they announce that the iPhone is coming to Verizon now on the eve of winter holiday sales? doing that would brunt Verizon's ability to sell phones now.

Its obvious that the planted story from the WSJ and possibly the NYT came from Apple themselves.

the possibility of a gingerbread exclusive phone coming to AT&T first is a big deal. This could possibly keep current iPhone users that haven't updated to the iP4 to Android possibly.

14. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

so Apple planted this story every year since 07? seems like the same stuff we read last year...I'm not saying it won't ever happen just not when these articles claim it will happen

15. SR2 macrumors regular

No **** Sherlock. Some of us find these posts interesting if you don't like it then don't read it.

16. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

Apple as well as many other companies from various industries do controlled leaks. Apple is definitely not an exception to that.

TechCrunch's MG Siegler (die-hard Apple fanboy) has also weighed in and believes too that the WSJ/NYT stories were plants from Apple to brunt prospective buyers going Windows Phone 7 or Android.

The end user would like the iPhone on Verizon so of course its been a hot topic since iPhone 1st gen release. What I'm saying is why NOW, are there two 'iPhone coming to Verizon' stories from two reputable sources.

Additionally, the writer from WSJ is known to get information directly from Apple. She was the same author that stated that the iPad could be $1,000. So by the time iPad announcement came, the $500 price tag made the product much more compelling since many thought it would be $1,000.

Also, guess who owns WSJ? Rupert Murdoch. Who also happens to be really chummy with Steve Jobs.

17. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Didn't the WSJ also claim that the iPhone was coming to Verizon this past June, and then again this past September, and many times last year and the year before that.

WSJ also claimed back in January that the iPad would be offered to Verizon, which then turned out to be only AT&T. WSJ is just crying wolf, and when it finally happens, their going to say "See, we were right."

OP, I fail to see where the concrete evidence is at?

WSJ: iPhone coming to Verizon in June, 2010
    http://www.cultofmac.com/iphone-is-coming-to-verizon-this-summer-wj-report/35449

WSJ: iPhone coming to Verizon in September, 2010
    http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/empt-20100330/

18. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

You just proved my point right there. Both of those sources you referenced are controlled leaks. Why did WSJ keep claiming the iPhone was coming to Verizon sooo many times this year? To BRUNT Android sales. Its a business move on their part. Apple doesn't want a bunch of Android users locked in with their new 2-year deals using android phones before the iPhone hits Verizon shelves sometime in 2011.

Its essential that Apple gets on Verizon, its an obvious business move. They need Verizon more than Verizon needs Apple now. With Apple/Android/Windows Phone 7 fighting amongst each other, Verizon has leverage, which is kinda scary.

I'm pretty firm with my belief that the iPhone will go Verizon. Just my opinion I guess.

Finally, both of those sources you mentioned are by the same author, only further fueling speculation that they are controlled leaks. I don't see how thats not plausible...

Edit: i didn't come in here to pick a fight. I only posted on here because I wanted to let current AT&T subscribers the possibility of a high-end flagship Android device on AT&T, which is choice right? Seems like many are just automatically turned off merely because its an Android... which is sad.

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It seems like manufacturer's have bragged about a super-smartphone being released on X date with the latest version of Android--only to find that the actual release turns out to be 6 months late and is released with the current version of Android. There is then a promise that the latest OS will be "coming soon".

It's fun to speculate but we'll see if they actually pull it off. Even if this phone turns out to be real, its still likely going to be running on 3G(no matter what the press release says) as opposed to the LTE phones Verizon will start to be releasing at approximately the same time. It will have the same AT&T connection issues that iPhones have.

20. siuperman macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Although I'm an iPhone user, that phone sounds impressive...