AT&T trade in AFTER getting iPhone via Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by grizzy, Sep 29, 2014.

1. grizzy macrumors member

Just took my old iphone 4 to the local ATT store and was told I can't use the $200 towards my bill. I can only use it for accessories or a new phone, which he said I already had, so only accessories.

I said that's not what the website says and now that I'm home I checked it. Here's a cut and paste from the "promo details":

Card may only be used toward purchases of AT&T products & services in AT&T owned retail stores, at att.com, or to pay wireless bill.

He went to the back to ask a manager and then said I could only put $40 of the $200 towards my bill, as that is only what my old iphone 4 is worth. I walked out as it's not the usual store I go to.

So, what is everyone's results with the trade in? Any advice? It clearly says I can use it for my bill.

Thanks!

2. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

Is the $200 in the form of a pre-paid credit card?

3. joelb727 macrumors regular

Yes… you can use it toward your bill. The att person was wrong. You could've even had them apply the $200 credit directly on your account instead of getting the card.

4. grizzy thread starter macrumors member

They call it a promotion card:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/iphone-trade-in.html#fbid=MGniP7gkObV

That's what I thought but the dude wasn't budging. I was getting nowhere. Any insight how I use/apply the $200 card towards my bill?

5. TSKY74 macrumors regular

TSKY74

You can apply it to your bill. Log into your account and choose "make payment", then select "promotional card" as method of payment. I have a $200 credit on my account now. I did have problems registering a second card, as it kept pulling in he first card information every time I went to confirm.

6. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i tired this yesterday....they were jerks and told me i had to order the phone from att only. they would not let me trade it in unless i ordered another phone. i already had my 6+....I even got the manager out there. Same thing.

I've seen people post on slickdeals.net about getting gift cards easily and it applying to their account.

I don't get it.

7. grizzy thread starter macrumors member

Cool...thanks!

Yeah.

I just got off the phone with ATT and the guy said I can 100% get $200 for my ip4, AND use it towards my bill. Said the guy at the store was definitely wrong.

I'll head to my usual store this afternoon and hope for the best. They really need to get on the same page!

8. grizzy thread starter macrumors member

Just an FYI update in case anyone else encounters a problem.

Went to another AT&T store but didn't have enough time to wait around (they were packed...30-45min wait).

Anyway, talked to the manager and she said I ABSOLUTELY will get $200 for my old ip4, and I can DEFINITELY use it towards my bill.

What butt heads at that other store!!!

9. Hudsonshero macrumors newbie

I purchased my 6+ on apple.com and received my $200 for my iPhone 4. Took it to my local at&t and they credited my account towards my bill. No questions.

10. DancyMunchkin macrumors member

Received my iPhone6 from Apple on Thursday and traded in my 32 gig iPhone5s at an ATT store this morning for $300, credited to my monthly bill. I checked buybackworld beforehand, they were offering $245.