AT&T Transfer Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Orien, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Orien macrumors regular

Orien

So I know that VZ's website lets you do a transfer upgrade using another line's eligibility to upgrade one that isn't eligible. I can't seem to find this option on AT&T's website.

Do you have to actually call or go to a store to do this with the preorder tonight?

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

For AT&T pre-orders via AT&T or Apple, the pre-order has to be done on the line that is eligible. Once you get it you can do an Upgrade Swap but that is after you get the device.

Dave

3. Orien thread starter macrumors regular

Orien

Thanks. What's the procedure for doing it after getting the phone? Is this something that can be done via iTunes activation or only by an AT&T employee?

4. thebadgator87 macrumors member

im looking to do this by adding a line. now from what i see on the att website i need to wait until the iphone 5 is available for preorder choose that as the phone i want for that line?

5. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Do a search, there are tons of good threads on this. I'm not saying that to be rude, quite the opposite. There are lots of variations that people have covered in those threads and they'd be a good read. Your exact scenario is more than likely covered.

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

You either have to go to an ATT store or call the CS support.

7. eleite macrumors regular

eleite

I've done this a few times before with iPhones and AT&T. It was easy before because all you had to do was order the phone for the eligible line and swap SIM cards. Now with the new nano-SIM it ain't gonna be that easy. You're going to have to find out how to get a nano-SIM for your final line destination.

It *might* be as easy as asking AT&T for one... but I wouldn't know for sure. I think your best answer is going to come by calling your local AT&T store and asking an expert for their suggestion.

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

iTunes could be involved but it is not as simple as an activation.

Until we know the details for this cycle, spend a few minutes reading the iPhone upgrade guide: http://guides.macrumors.com/iPhone_Upgrade_Guide

Then swing back by MacRumors next week for the latest details on the actual steps to complete the swap.

Dave

9. dckcentaur macrumors member

I was told by the AT&T rep. buy the phone from apple or where ever (using the eligible line) They use this for verification for new 2year commitment.
    Once you get the phone plug into iTunes and it will ask for your phone number that you want associated with the phone. The sim cards in the iPhones are blank when they arrive and are not attached to a account. iTunes connects to AT@T and assigns a number at that time. They do this for security reasons. makes since to me because anybody that gets hold of the phone before activation will be able to use your phone account and deactivating your other phone. Hope this helps and explains why it SHOULD work. HA HA
    She did say if for some reason you don't get the number in iTunes Don't activate the phone first call or come into the store and they will do the transfer.

10. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

Good info hope it works... I will try this

11. dominus247 macrumors newbie

I am looking to do this as well ..but just one question ...if I use another persons upgrade ...does it add on another two years or no?

12. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes it adds another 2 year contract on their line!

Nothing free here. Swing by this thread for the instructions on the easiest way to do an upgrade swap: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1447995

Dave