AT&T trying to talk me out of iphone, why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cicatrix, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

I went in to AT&T yesterday to discuss plans, and look at the iphone 4s, and Galaxy S2. I was leaning towards the iphone 4s but as soon as I mentioned that to the salesman it's like he went ballistic, and raged on it. It was quite peculiar. It's like vengeance was his against the iphone or something. He was coming up with all sorts of lies and misinformation about both phones. Maybe he was a used car salesman in disguise I don't know. Any way, we left and went to another more reputable AT&T store and got a better low down between both the iphone 4s, and Galaxy S2. They both seem to be almost equal with unique perks. Like the Galaxy S2 has a bigger screen that's more vivid, but the iphone screen is noticeably sharper. The iphone 4s feels better built. It feels like an expensive piece of gear where as the Galaxy S2 feels sort of cheap. As far as speed, I really haven't played with them enough to notice a difference. I think they are both really good phones and I am really sort of torn between which to get. I have been reading and comparing the two relentlessly. I will be going down to AT&T today to go into a family plan and we will all be choosing new phones. So I have still yet come to a decision.

2. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

3. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Probably higher profit margins on the S2. Don't think they get paid commission or anything, but it surely helps the company overall. But more than likely, just an Android fan.

If you have a Mac, I don't see any reason to not go iPhone 4S. The ecosystem is great and is only getting better. The iPhone 4S alone is just as good, if not better, than any Android phone out there (in most aspects, at least).

5. Necca macrumors newbie

Why, cuz he's an idiot. The iPhone 4 and 4S are awesome phone's you would be less disappointed with either than going android even tho I galaxy S2 looks like a nice device. I'd go apple

6. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Maybe it's a matter of hardware profit margins where that margin is lower for the iPhone than for other phones. I'm not familiar with whether or not the data plans are the same for both phones but if they are, I assume the hardware for the iPhone is pricier than for any other phone.

EDIT: beat me to it, KylePowers.

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I read a good article recently on peoples hate for Apple.

Basically the more some people love something, the more other people hate it.

For example, in England, Manchester United is the biggest football club. They have a lot of passionate supporters.

For this reason, people who hate manchester united REALLY hate manchester united.

Take a team like Bolton, they are a good team, with a lot of fans but you can't hate them.

Same applies to Apple, people who don't like Apple, REALLY don't like Apple. And they are very vocal of this.

Its because people who like Apple seem to REALLY love them.

This is why nobody REALLY hates Android, because nobody REALLY loves it.

Anyway, regardless of this mans job to sell you the best phone for you, he seems to have gone above and beyond to force his own feelings and opinions on you.

Just get the phone you want to get, just know that the people who hate the most popular things are usually the loudest, and also usually the most biased.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'm sorry to break this to you, but you don't go to a phone store to get advice about a smart phone these days. You are essentially buying little computers, and you need to do a lot more research than relying on a phone salesman.

If you are comparing hardware specs, I thing the Galaxy S2 > iPhone 4S. But in making this decision you need to look beyond just the phone specs. You need to probably make a decision of Android vs. iOS FIRST, and THEN pick your device. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, and I won't debate those here other than to say you sound like an iOS kinda guy to me. :apple:

9. szolr macrumors 6502

He has a secret wish of getting fired by his store manager maybe? ;)

10. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

11. lilo777 macrumors 603

AT&T is not trying to talk you out of anything. It's a particular salesman. There are plenty of salesman at AT&T who are iPhone fans (some of them post on this forum). Keep in mind that AT&T personnel probably can change personal phones very frequently. In this case iPhone is not the right choice for them (having to wait 16 months for a new phone would be very boring when they can get the latest and greatest, say, every four months). It used to be the case that AT&T people all had iPhones (AT&T did not have Android phones for a while) but the situation has changes significantly lately.

12. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I wouldn't even go as far as to say that the S2 outs the iPhone 4S in hardware specs, or at least performance-wise.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Source

I feel like the only reason to go S2 is if screen size is of the utmost importance or you're an Android developer lol

EDIT- Not flaming or trolling, not even sure how accurate these preliminary benchmarks are, just saying. Surely the S2 is one of the best phones Android has to offer. Definitely pick OS first before picking the hardware.

13. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the kind advice people, it's appreciated. If ios is anything like the smoothness of Snow Leopard I think I will really be liking it. Since I already have a Mac it does makes sense to keep apps within the same realm.

14. calvy macrumors 65816

HAHAH. You were so close to being right, but the part about them changing phone frequently. Hah! Maybe the managers in the store, but I can promise you the guys/girls actually doing the sale do not make enough money or get any type of discount on their service to make it possible for them to swap out phones any more so than the rest of us.

What you are right about though is that this person was spouting off his own opinion, not that of AT&T. This employee is not a model employee by any means, and I can promise you that if his boss ever catches wind of it, it'll be changed, or he'll be fired. Because it is that salesman's job to fit you into a phone that YOU'LL like. What he thinks of it doesn't matter.

15. bls8195 macrumors newbie

Maybe it was the last one they had and he didn't want you to get it so he could buy it. Just a thought.

16. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that's it.:D

17. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

I chose the iPhone because of the os.

Though I like the android phones better (screen size).

If one of these companies would finally match the quality of phone the iPhone has they would do just as well I think.

But they all use plastic.

18. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand he wasn't a good representative of AT&T, and customers particular needs, and objectives. The other AT&T that I went to right after that on the other hand were the most professional people that I have dealt with in a while. They were extremely polite and really did give me what I felt was a completely unbiased opinion on the two phones. I know that you have to do your own research but it is still nice to get other peoples take on a particular device as it does have it's place when formulating your own view.

edit:

Kyle Powers, thanks for the spec chart!

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You are comparing apples (pun not intended :D ) and oranges. Comparing benchmarks of iOS5 vs. Android 2.2 is as helpful as those Galaxy Tab 8.9 numbers running 3.1.

I am a big Apple fan, but the fact is Android handset makers are working their tails off to out-spec the iPhone, and is some cases they are succeeding. But like I said, it's not JUST about the phone.

Although I intend to save my pennies and get my paws on a Galaxy Nexus just to play with it for a little while....

20. 2ndname macrumors member

Don't they get commission depending on which phone they sell? I remember managing an electronic store back in the day and that was how it was. Certain phones had a higher mark up and sales always wanted to push those to make extra cash.

21. lilo777 macrumors 603

These charts are misleading. On two of the charts that deal with CPU Android phones look bad only because the tester decided to use stock web browser which in case of Android 2.3.* uses only one CPU core. Same tests conducted with Opera or FireFox put many Android phones ahead of iPhone 4S. Galaxy SII would be way ahead. In real life web browsing (even with stock browser) Galaxy SII is still faster than iPhone 4S. This advantage will increase when ICS is released.

22. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

very simple

iPhone(s) - less margin for ATT - high subsidy and more money for Apple

Andriod(s) - more margin for ATT - less subsidy for them and less money att pays to Motorola, HTC and Samsung

ATT always will be monitoring the iPhone sales and its dependency on APPLE.

I have heard one ATT store manager told an iPhone Customer, Galaxy SII or SI free on contract. it is just a sales pitch.

23. bk888 macrumors newbie

Salespeople should be a lot more diplomatic than that, but everyone has their biases and preferences.

The Galaxy S2's plastic body design enables it to be much more flexible and as a result it can handle drops much better than the iPhone 4. Personally, I think the decision should be more about what people are calling the ecosystem that Android and iOS bring than the individual phones themselves. Both are excellent pieces of hardware and come highly rated.

24. techguy20 macrumors 6502