AT&T turns on LTE in Michigan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SandboxGeneral, Sep 23, 2012.

1. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I just saw this morning that my iPad is showing LTE in Michigan. I'm currently in the Clarkston/Waterford area, which is north of Detroit. Here is a speedtest result. Unfortunately I'm not in a spot that gets good signal, but its running quick still.

Attached Files:

2. jaziCo macrumors regular

jaziCo

YUP YUP! LTE in the "D"

Same here man! It happened in an awesome moment too. My buddy was showing off his VZW iPhone 5 LTE speeds, and challenged me for a speed test on my ATT iPhone 5, and like an angel from above, boom LTE appears and I get like 33 MBPS to his 18 :D

3. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Too bad they won't have LTE in SW MI anytime in the next couple of years.

4. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I fully didn't expect LTE in Michigan anywhere until at least 2013. Now I have to see it its lit up at home, about 30 miles north of where I'm at now.

5. jaziCo macrumors regular

jaziCo

That sux man, hopefully sooner than anticipated!

6. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Looks like when I saw that LTE in Clarkston, I was on the outer fringes of it's coverage area. As I drove north and made my way home the LTE slipped into HSPA+ (4G). But it's promising to have LTE as far north as it is, which to me means that maybe I'll see LTE in my town sooner than I would have thought.

7. Mark Scheuern macrumors member

4G for us a bit farther north (Grand Blanc). Nice that LTE is turned on in Clarkston, though. I used to live there... .

8. tobeywhippet macrumors newbie

I keep searching AT&T's website, but no mention of anything other than a Grand Rapids rollout later this year. It looks like Lansing will be stuck waiting for LTE until the next big thing comes. :(

9. Jane333 macrumors regular

I am in Farmington Hills right now and my iphone is showing ATT LTE BUT I am only getting 11.38 down and 3.73 up. I had better results with my 4s. Also, the closest server option is Illinois. Would this make a difference?:confused:

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

My mom lives in Sanilac County Michigan which still had only EDGE service. Since AT&T has said that it will be shutting down all EDGE service in a few years, I'm hoping that means we get LTE eventually--but that's probably hoping for a lot. :)

11. SandboxGeneral, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Your mom is in a county just north of me and I didn't get 3G (HSPA) until December of 2010 out in the country areas. Only Lapeer City and south to Oakland County had 3G. But now most of the southern half of Lapeer County has 3G/4G (HSPA/HSPA+). Up in Sanilac, I hate to say this, but when they turn Edge off, I almost wonder if they'd just upgrade those areas to 3G/4G and not LTE. :eek: I just don't know about the more northern areas of our state.

12. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Congrats! my state is so small i get it almost everywhere and it's super fast

13. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

They turned LTE on in my area the day before the iPhone 5 launch. WOW. I get speeds between 20Mbps to 50Mbps. Awesome.

My concern though is that these speeds will slow to a crawl within a year once everyone is on LTE just like what happened to 3G.

Around the mall near me, 3G/4G is painfully slow but LTE right now is around 40Mbps. NICE!

14. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have the same fear too, over-capacity slowing the network down. However, I am almost always on WiFi unless I am traveling, so it doesn't bother me too much. Which mall are you near?

15. mpossoff macrumors 68020

That's what is happening to VZW LTE network. As more people are getting on board, VZW LTE network has been slowing down.

Expect the same with AT&T

16. Jane333 macrumors regular

Oops - I did not have location services turned on for speedtest - which is odd because it was turned on for everything else. I redid the test and got 14.75 down and 1.21 up. Better, but still not great.

wireless at home (West Bloomfield) - 34.19 down and 6.41 up
    LTE at home - 14.85 down and .34 up