AT&T Unlimited AT&T Throttling

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Sep 13, 2012.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

So with unlimited LTE data plans, AT&T will begin throttling after 5GB of usage. Does anyone know what speeds we will be throttled to? Will they be the same barely usable speeds at 3G plans or will the throttling be at a slower, yet usable speed? Anyone have any experience with this coming from another LTE phone?

2. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Curious too..

throttling to 3G/HSPA speeds would be nice.

Unlike the one time I got throttled on my 4S and it kicked back to like EDGE speeds on 3G network.

3. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

I've heard some say that they get down to 200k when throttled. But its not a flat line though. Just because you hit 5gb doesn't mean you'll be throttled. Its a measure of your usage and the area you are normally in. I routinely hit 5GB now with my 4S and i can only think of once when i thought i got throttled.

4. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

Say I currently have the unlimited plan I got several years ago..on my iPhone 4..
    When I get the iPhone 5 will I have to do anything to take advantage of lte speeds? I still pay the same 30 a month and it goes to lte unlimited and throttled at 5gig?
    I currently get throttled at 3gig with my 3G unlimited plan.

5. supervelous macrumors 6502

This is why AT&T may even lose some Unlimited people to Verizon, especially if there's no LTE in their area.

I have Verizon LTE in my area but not AT&T, yet I get unlimited AT&T data. Yet even if they had LTE, it still wouldn't be unlimited since I'd lose my LTE speeds at 5GB..so why stay with them.

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

You're being throttled now so what's the difference if you had LTE or not?

7. supervelous macrumors 6502

Part of the benefit of me staying on AT&T is unlimited data. So even if AT&T had LTE in my area, technically I would lose the unlimited LTE at 5GB, it ceases to be LTE speed.

So, there is no such thing as Unlimited Data at LTE speeds on AT&T. Makes it easier to jump ship.