AT&T Unlimited Data Plan - Grandfathering At Checkout WORKS!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boltjames, Sep 14, 2012.

1. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Just a note that if you use the Apple website and choose "upgrade my existing phone" it will default to your current plan ie Unlimited Data $30. No need to click anything or edit anything. Just glance at it and choose "next" to continue the checkout process.

Using the iPhone Apple Store app it says "clicking here will start checkout and you'll keep your existing plan".

Very smooth, very easy to do, no worries.

BJ

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i didn't think there was any concern for grandfathered at&t users, just that you're throttled after 5gb and that you can't facetime over cellular.

3. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

No concern over whether or not we could keep UDP but rather if it was going to be confusing at checkout. Some thought we might be coerced into checking off from a bunch of plans.

The good news is that it defaults to the existing UDP account for those that have it, no confusion at all.

BJ

4. JFC macrumors member

On ATT's web site, I was given several options to choose from, one of which was the unlimited data. However, it would not give me an option to keep my current text plan. Anyone experience this?

5. billhelm macrumors regular

I did, and I'm not proceeding until I can get clarification. Getting an iPhone first is not worth losing the old plan. Now I'm just mad that I stayed up.

6. corey407woc macrumors member

yeah i got to keep my current att grandfathered unlimited plan on apple site i clicked next and brought me to messaging plan and i clicked 20 dollar unlimited. i was on 10 unlimited . i will have to call and verify what it is

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

that's what the pre-order page from the verizon site looked like. i didn't want to be fooled into changing plans, so i ordered from apple.

8. JFC macrumors member

I'm going to try to pre-order through the ATT upgrade app. If that does not work then I'm waiting.

9. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

weird.

apple site let me keep my voice, $10/1000 messaging and "unlimited" data plan. nothing to select to change.

----------

try apple app.

10. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

yep i noticed that too at checkout, both my lines kept the unlimited data...

best to keep these plans as long as possible, even if switching to a tiered plan saves a couple bucks. who knows what the future will bring.

11. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

Mine defaulted to "Family Share 700" and then "Unlimited Data" and that was that.

BJ

12. billhelm macrumors regular

I'm on 5/200 and neither AT&T nor apple sites would let me choose it. I'll deal with it tomorrow.

13. JFC macrumors member

Here is the transcript from a live chat with an ATT rep. Guess I'll try it; good luck.

Senedra: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support. How may I assist you with placing your order today?
    jim: I am trying to pre order the iphone 5. I have an unlimited data plan with a text messaging plan of 1000 texts a month for $10. When I try to complete the pre order my current text plan is not an option. How to I keep my current text plan?
    Senedra: I'd be happy to help you with that information.
    Senedra: When upgrading, choose the per usage option. Since you already have a text package, you would be allowed to keep the feature.
    jim: Choosing that option will not remove my old plan? I certainly don't want to pay per text.
    Senedra: No, it wouldn't remove the message feature, You can call during business hours to confirm that as well.