AT&T Unlimited Throttled -> iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Tuck, Sep 18, 2012.

1. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

I am currently being 3G throttled this month by AT&T on my iPhone 4 due to going over 3GB. Does anyone know if when I upgrade to my iPhone 5 on Friday I will still be throttled?

I would hope that the upgrade would override the throttling for this month and reset my data usage to let me use LTE speeds when I activate the phone, but I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

Tuck

2. The Tuck thread starter macrumors 6502

The Tuck

3. misterjuiceman macrumors newbie

I thought that I heard with the iPhone 5 they're bumping the limit to 5GB, so you should have two more gigabytes before they start throttling ou again.

4. hazelgreene macrumors newbie

hazelgreene

---

I believe that is only if you still have unlimited data will they throttle you after 5gb using LTE.

5. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

This.

6. misterjuiceman macrumors newbie

Oh, I was assuming he was buying outright and so he would keep unlimited. I have no idea otherwise.

7. hazelgreene macrumors newbie

hazelgreene

I guess he did say unlimited in the thread title so maybe ATT throttles at 3gb currently. I dont know.

8. The Tuck thread starter macrumors 6502

The Tuck

I currently have an iPhone 4 and am re-upping my contract for my iPhone 5. I've currently used about 3.5 GB for this month on my grandfathered unlimited plan. Will I still be throttled for the rest of the month on my iPhone 5 or will I get regular fast speeds when I activate my phone?

9. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

You can upgrade and keep your unlimited. All LTE phones on AT&T with unlimited data will have up to 5gb before throttling.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/12/atts-grandfathered-unlimited-data-plan-customers-get-5gb-on-lte-before-being-throttled/

10. supervelous macrumors 6502

lol dude noone seems to understand your question by the answers you're getting.

OP is saying he is already being throttled for being over 3GB of data on 3G. He realizes the LTE throttle is 5GB, and is wondering once he activates his LTE iphone 5 if AT&T will unthrottle him immediately for this billing cycle, until he reaches 5GB.

I don't know the answer OP, but maybe that'll help someone else understand who might.

11. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

You're thinking of Verizon.
    AT&T is not forcing people to get rid of unlimited. You can use as many upgrades as you want and keep your unlimited data.

12. misterjuiceman macrumors newbie

Yeah I was. My original first post was thinking of AT&T, but then I got confused for a second when people were responding to me, and I thought I was mistaken for a moment. I believe my initial response correctly answers the OP's question.

13. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

The point of my post was to say he'll have at least 2 more gb before throttling on Friday.

14. The Tuck thread starter macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Cool, so I should go back to normal LTE speeds when I get my iPhone 5 until I hit 5GB of data usage. I guess I'll find out on Friday!

Thanks for the responses.

Tuck